Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times

Advertisements

When I visited Toronto, it didn't take long to realize how multicultural it is. It's as racially/ ethnically diverse as NYC, LA. I think in some ways Toronto is even more multicultural than Chicago, if I remember. It is really Canada's most important city so it has an even "bigger city" feel than U.S. metro areas of about the same population (Houston, Atlanta). However, unlike most U.S. cities, there appears to be far less racial tension in Toronto (& many other Canadian cities). Although I believe most Canadians live only 1-2 hour drive from the U.S., they are more peaceful & tolerant than many Americans, in general. This is easily observable in Toronto when it's surprising how civil a city of its size can be. Not like there's no bad areas or anything, but it definitely has a safer feel to it than the more gritty Chicago. The worst thing about Toronto is probably its weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
IMO, Toronto is most similar to the Great Lakes cities in the United States, particularly Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland. Cleveland especially since it is like what, a mere 100 miles south of Toronto. If Lake Erie didn't exist, they could almost be considered the same city.
Pull out your atlas. Toronto is on Lake Ontario.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Pull out your atlas. Toronto is on Lake Ontario.
Right...forgot that bit. Regardless, the two cities have a similar feel being on the Great Lakes.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times
THis is interesting. Maybe during college break next December, i'll take a trip to Toronto or somethin. See if I like it.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
I noticed you used the past tense. Maybe years ago there were similarities between the three. But I've visited all three within the past year, and multiple times to Toronto and Cleveland, and let me tell you, there is a world of difference between the economy, feel and attitude.

Toronto's economy is doing so much better than Cleveland's. You'd know that if you had been to both places. It's very apparent. Toronto is very multicultural. Cleveland is still a mainly white/black city with a few hispanics and they don't really mix. Toronto has an urban, cosmopolitan, yet laid-back feel, while none of those terms really describe Cleveland. Add all this to the fact that Toronto is a much bigger city than Cleveland.

Just about all they have in common is that they are both on the Great Lakes...
For a Canadian city more compable to Cleveland, check out Hamilton.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times
i've seen photos of Hamilton. Fairly dirty city if you ask me.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times
Toronto probably has a more diverse, integrated feel because minorities weren't forced to like in one specific neighborhood, like in America.

I hope to visit Toronto soon.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
For a Canadian city more compable to Cleveland, check out Hamilton.
Good call.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,343 times
I've read about Toronto, looks like a great city. I love it how people say it is multi-cultural. !! Just makes it more attractive to me.

I would like to visit there,

Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Houston? Are you serious? When did it join the fray?
Maybe because New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston are four of the biggest cities in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.