Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,407 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I want to visit Toronto from the U.S, but in the time being, I'm interested in knowing what city(s) are comparable to Toronto. What cities do you think have similarities to Toronto and feel like Toronto. Thanks,

Daniel_T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 AM

492 posts, read 2,370,860 times
With the exception of Chicago, Toronto blows all the US cities on the Great Lakes out of the water... It's funny driving there cause you have to pass Buffalo's derelict, decrepit, and depressing skyline and then just another hour or so you come to Toronto which has modern high-rises springing up everywhere. The differences are like night and day. Toronto is very multi-cultural and I find it quite laid-back. Definitely fly out to visit. Get a layover in Chicago, but skip all the mistakes on the lakes.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,475 times
Toronto is one of the coolest cities that I've ever seen and if I were to think of a US equivalent, it would be Seattle. The only downside to the comparison is that Seattle isn't as multicultural as Toronto.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 AM

194 posts, read 303,646 times
I *HEART* Toronto. One of my favorite cities!

The vibe is so cool, so international, and there's so many SCHMOKING young fillies up there! Very California-esque (as far as the gene pool/dating scene).

Toronto is best described as a cross between New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area, which just happens to be my other two favorite cities/regions.

It has the global melting pot demographic of New York City; Italians, Greeks, Jamaicans, Chinese, Portuguese, Indians, and those
bee-YOO-tiful Brazilian girls(!!!). The Portuguese community attracts Brazilian expats.

It also has an urbane cosmopolitan feel, again like New York. It's definitely a world city.
The U.N. says it's population is the most diverse on the globe.

Toronto's diverse mix also makes it similar to the Bay Area.
But what stands out even more, as far as the Bay Area similarity, is they both have a laid-back, live and let live vibe.

It's a very tolerant city. People really try to get along and be nice to each other. The Canadian attitude toward each other is very different than the States. They try harder, and have more manners. You don't have to force them to be 'politically correct', because they already know how to behave (for the most part).

Although Los Angeles also has an international population, I *don't* think the two cities are as comparable.
Because of rampant crime and the gangbang culture, the racial thing that sometimes flares up between Blacks and Mexicans (that's so NOT Toronto), and L.A.'s lagging transit system (Metro Rail still isn't enough).

Toronto's system is pretty efficient, the trains running in tandem with their street cars and buses. But they should've made the subway system just a little bit more extensive.

But anyway, it's an amazing city. I think you're gonna love it. If Toronto and Vancouver could magically switch locations
(Toronto having Vancouver's mountains, geography, and access to the ocean) Man, it would be unbelieveable!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
With the exception of Chicago, Toronto blows all the US cities on the Great Lakes out of the water... It's funny driving there cause you have to pass Buffalo's derelict, decrepit, and depressing skyline and then just another hour or so you come to Toronto which has modern high-rises springing up everywhere. The differences are like night and day. Toronto is very multi-cultural and I find it quite laid-back. Definitely fly out to visit. Get a layover in Chicago, but skip all the mistakes on the lakes.
Honestly, Toronto is way cooler than Chi-Town too. And I like Chicago.

But Chicago's history speaks for itself. Ugly racial issues in the past. Ironclad segregation (but I will admit the WHOLE Great Lakes are guilty of that. It's kinda unfair how people only single out Chicago), and political corruption that would embarrass Boss Tweed.
They say a Black guy was elected mayor in Chicago (a while ago) and the city was on the verge of racially imploding.

That's so *NOT* Toronto. As far as the social aspect, they're polar opposites. Toronto doesn't have all those issues.

Also, Toronto is a true international city! You have people from all over the globe, living in the same neighboorhoods.

Chicago's mix, while diverse, isn't nearly as diverse as Toronto, and the rule of thumb is to keep the Blacks sort of separate
from the rest of the city. It definitely ain't the same as Toronto or the San Francisco Bay Area.

Chicago's downtown is most impressive, the skyscrapers and beaches right on the lake. That's impressive.

I wish Toronto had the vision to do that, instead of blocking the waterfront with the stupid Gardiner Expressway.
But the 'T-Dot' (as the youngsters say) is still head and shoulders ahead of Chicago, at least socially speaking.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
Also, Toronto is a true international city! You have people from all over the globe, living in the same neighboorhoods
Im willing to bet that Chicago is more diverse, no way to prove it though.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
I think the Big Four are the most comparable to Toronto.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im willing to bet that Chicago is more diverse, no way to prove it though.
Nope.

Toronto has the Polish, Irish, and Italian communities that Chicago has.

Plus the Portuguese, Brazillian, Indian (from Trinidad), and Jamaican communities that Chicago *doesn't* have.

Not to mention the fact that Toronto attracts refugees seeking asylum from all around the world. I think that's why the U.N. ranks it as the most diverse city in the world.

And it's Chinatown(s) are WAY bigger and more bustling than Chicago's Cermak Avenue.

But I *do* like Chicago. The skyline is just awesome, and that pizza is fabulous!

Toronto *could* learn something from Chicago as far as their innovative use of the lakefront. You can't even see Lake Ontario
until you get to the beaches neighborhood.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM

686 posts, read 3,715,407 times
thank you all. I have heard before that Chicago is similar to Toronto just dirtier and more crime ridden. I want to move to Toronto and go into Broadcasting but I don't think that will happen. I would enjoy it though. I've seen pics of Toronto, it's neighborhoods, and suburbs, and am very impressed. I don't think there is a city in the US that is as clean as Toronto unless you include Seattle, Portland, or my hometown Anchorage.

Thanks again,
Daniel_T

Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times
IMO, Toronto is most similar to the Great Lakes cities in the United States, particularly Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland. Cleveland especially since it is like what, a mere 100 miles south of Toronto. If Lake Erie didn't exist, they could almost be considered the same city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.