Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:00 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,873,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Is that code for few immigrants? Like, why else would you include that detail? With the exception of Puerto Rico, English-speaking is not going be a problem anywhere.
You really need to live around the US a bit more. At one point I had the worst time finding a job because I wasn't bilingual. I could go shopping and not run across one person speaking English.

Stay to the North except for the coasts. Avoid large cities. Avoid small towns that have economies based in agriculture, hospitality, or meat processing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,506,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You really need to live around the US a bit more. At one point I had the worst time finding a job because I wasn't bilingual. I could go shopping and not run across one person speaking English.

Stay to the North except for the coasts. Avoid large cities. Avoid small towns that have economies based in agriculture, hospitality, or meat processing.
Excuse me? I have lived in Tucson, San Diego, Minneapolis, Chicago, Syracuse, and Baltimore (so, basically every region except the South and the Pacific Northwest). These are not lily-white places. I've never been in a store where the people didn't speak English, and I frequent ethnic markets. I've never been asked if I speak another language in a job interview (though, I actually speak four) and I've worked in a wide range of industries including education, restaurants and bars, health care, and professional writing.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 01-19-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM

338 posts, read 554,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrazor11 View Post
SO and I are recent college grads looking to move out of Upstate NY to somewhere less dark/cold. We're both telecommuting and don't plan on kids... so lots of flexibility. Here's some things we came up with.

Temperate/warm climate w/plenty of sun
English speaking
supermarket not far
mid cost of living
entertainment (movies, concerts, museums) not far
tech/nerd culture (college town?)
Nature/parks/waterfront not far
good air quality
schools don't matter
jobs don't matter (mostly)
decent hospitals
low natural disaster rate
low crime
DINK friendly

I've looked through lots of suggestions on here, but lots of people are weighting things like job market & schools heavily in their search. I'm wondering if we can find a place more catered to our needs without those kinds of restrictions?
Most of the in-town neighborhoods in Atlanta would meet almost all of those requirements. Look into Virginia Highlands, Midtown, and Buckhead.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 AM

130 posts, read 212,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
If you are afraid of immigrants, consider Fort Collins, Colorado.

If you're not, than Tucson, Arizona fits your description to a tee.
I live in Fort Collins and am leaving because it is cold. Sure it is sunny often, but there are more cold months than warm months. If you still want winter, then ft collins works.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 AM

251 posts, read 306,588 times
Anywhere is better.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 AM

27,008 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
SO and I are recent college grads looking to move out of Upstate NY to somewhere less dark/cold. We're both telecommuting and don't plan on kids... so lots of flexibility. Here's some things we came up with.

English speaking
supermarket not far
mid cost of living
good air quality

schools don't matter
decent hospitals
low crime (for the most part)
DINK friendly

I've looked through lots of suggestions on here, but lots of people are weighting things like job market & schools heavily in their search. I'm wondering if we can find a place more catered to our needs without those kinds of restrictions?
Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC

Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM

410 posts, read 800,551 times
I'm in Memphis, TN. While the waterfront we offer is the Mississippi, there is much more. Cost of living is low. Housing is inexpensive. No state income tax. A couple hours from the Ozark Mountains. Great music scene. Excellent night life. Great parks including Shelby Farms with 4500 acres of green space and a 6 mile nature trail. They are working to complete a new 85 acre lake with dock. Memphis has great hospitals and shopping as well as several colleges and Universities.

Crime is something people outside the city like to point fingers at, but it's not citywide. It's certain areas. I've been here my entire life and I have no issues going out at night and enjoying everything this city has to offer. If you like music and great food, come visit for yourself and see.

Memphis Named 'Best NBA Destination' by USAToday's 10Best | memphistravel.com

Things to do in Memphis, TN: Tennessee City Guide by 10Best

Best Trips 2013 -- National Geographic

Old 01-19-2015, 03:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,246,033 times
Quote:

English speaking
supermarket not far
mid cost of living
good air quality
schools don't matter
decent hospitals
low crime
DINK friendly

I have one word for you: Tempe. Ok, two words: Tempe, AZ.

The waterfront is basically a man made lake, but Im sure you wont mind.

Temperate? Spring, Fall and Winter, yes. Summer? Brutally hot.
English speaking? Yes. Obviously.
Supermarket? Pick a neighborhood close to one.
COL? Pretty good! Almost "cheap".
Entertainment? Tons in Tempe.
Tech culture? ASU is in town. Yes.
Nature/Parks/waterfront? Yes, yes, and yes.
Good air quality? Most days!
Decent hospital? Yes.
Low natural disaster? Might be the lowest in the nation.
Low crime? Overall, yes.

Last edited by Steve-o; 01-19-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 04:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,974,791 times
I moved from Poughkeepsie, NY, to Huntington Beach, CA over twenty years ago. I was also tired of cold, grey, dark and wet winters.

If you don't get caught up in the keeping up with the Jones' mentallity, you will find cities like Huntington Beach, hit almost all your requirements. including costs of living, and lack of natural disasters.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_home_town View Post
I'm in Memphis, TN. While the waterfront we offer is the Mississippi, there is much more. Cost of living is low. Housing is inexpensive. No state income tax. A couple hours from the Ozark Mountains. Great music scene. Excellent night life. Great parks including Shelby Farms with 4500 acres of green space and a 6 mile nature trail. They are working to complete a new 85 acre lake with dock. Memphis has great hospitals and shopping as well as several colleges and Universities.

Crime is something people outside the city like to point fingers at, but it's not citywide. It's certain areas. I've been here my entire life and I have no issues going out at night and enjoying everything this city has to offer. If you like music and great food, come visit for yourself and see.

Memphis Named 'Best NBA Destination' by USAToday's 10Best | memphistravel.com

Things to do in Memphis, TN: Tennessee City Guide by 10Best

Best Trips 2013 -- National Geographic
I lived in the Nashville area for about 5 years many years ago. There is a lot to love about TN. I especially miss the fireflies!

My problem was that I could never fit into the culture, being from the west coast. I felt like a fish out of water. The TN southern culture is so subtle. It's so hard for someone from a straight-forward culture to understand that someone who keep saying "we should get together" or "we should do business sometime" actually may mean the exact opposite. I just felt like I wasted so much time, and ended up feeling so humiliated time after time, after wasting time with people before I realized they did NOT want to be my friend or did NOT want to do business with me. I really think you have to be from that culture to catch the subtle clues. People are very polite while turning you away. The problem with this if you're from CA or NY, is that you don't "get" that you're being turned away the first time.

Whereas, in NY, someone might be "rude" and tell you straight out they'll never want to be your friend, or never want to do business with you, you may be offended, but you don't waste anymore of your time with that person.

Just an example. But, I think the OP should think about cultural differences, too. Maybe Memphis has become a mecca with techies there from all over the US, etc., whom they may "understand" culturally. There are so many micro cultures even right here in the US, that simple things like body language can be completely foreign to someone from another part of the country.

Anyway, OP, keep that in mind. I loved TN, and my daughter went to 5th and 6th grades there and has nothing but great memories. It's beautiful and has great storms where you can sit on your porch and watch the lightening and the fireflies. The humidity is horrible, though, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

But, the only friends I made there were from somewhere else - one from NY as a matter of fact, and one from Canada. I just couldn't make friends with Tennesseans.

FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.