U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,118 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on here for awhile, and the last time was for a similar inquiry, and I didn't make a move. I'm a 26 year old male, junior graphic designer, and artist. I'm a Chicago native, went to undergrad in the city, very familiar with the local creative scene, and never lived anywhere else. I'm looking to change things up and move to another city. I also would also like to take both my graphic design and art career further than it is. It's tough to leave because I love this city, warts and all, but my wanderlust is just too overwhelming. I'm scared too, because it took me three years after graduating before I got a full time position. I'm afraid I might be throwing something good out.

I have friends in NYC and LA, and I am considering both cities. However, both cities just seem too expensive for me. There has to be better alternatives. I would like to know what other options are out there. Is it smarter to go the cities where my friends are at? Would it make it easier to live and find work?

Here is what I am looking for:

-good public transportation
-affordable cost of living
-close to nature
-plenty of graphic design/art/creative jobs
-vibrant art scene
-milder(or tolerable?) weather, at least compared to Chicago
-friendly people (because I need to make friends since they're all in CHI, NYC, and LA)
-gay friendly, a must, because we all need someone love and instead of being tied to a fence

I appreciate reading your suggestions and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 PM

6,366 posts, read 7,039,057 times
I know some folks who have made a living doing graphic design in Atlanta, but they both have since relocated to NYC and Nashville. I think you're probably in the best spot in terms of big city opportunities + COL, but the other place that falls in that category is Philly. Weather is slightly better as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or