U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,041,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's apparently working.
Would it work the same for people from Lawn Guyland?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,135,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Well, the two regions in New York that I'm familiar with are considerably different from each other, but I'm not familiar with the western and northern parts.

Can I add this in here? http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html

The three cities my accent is most similar to are springfield missouri, Oklahoma City, and little rock. That's pretty amazing since I live somewhat close to all three and the area I live in southern mo had a similar dialect to any of those cities.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 PM

3,362 posts, read 4,666,000 times
Ohio, 3 major ones:

-Northern vowel shift "Eaccent" - Cleveland/Toledo
-Midlands - slight souther twang - Akron-Columbus
-Appalachian - Dayton-Cincinnati

Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 4,161,971 times
Would this include ethnic dialects? Milwaukee/Racine/Madison + a few other small cities have black-southern accents, and the indian reservations have native accents. This could be added on top of a few of the breakdowns above.

There are different accents across Wisconsin - I can generally tell what quadrant of the state someone is from - but I doubt the breakdowns are extensive enough in a global sense to make much difference in this exercise. So - Milwaukee/far SE WI, and then the rest of the state (though Northwoods vs Central vs Driftless there are noticeable differences), inner city blacks, and rural natives. Four.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM

267 posts, read 286,996 times
West Virginia:

It depends what part of the state.

*Appalachian
*Southern
*Neutral

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,072,936 times
Connecticut is a very mixed bag.

My home state includes Bostonian, New York, Rhode Island, and standard American.

I personally fall closer to the mix of NY and New England (I'm from New Haven).

Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 AM

11,856 posts, read 23,968,075 times
I live at the crossroads of the Midwest and Mid South. The variety of accents just in my city is large. I know native Louisvillians who sounds like people from Iowa or Alabama or just standard American, in my experience most speak standard American with just a touch of twang. The Southern accent extends pretty far into Indiana too. My father in law sounds like a Yupper (Upper MI) person trying to impersonate someone from Southern Appalachia.

As a state KY as several main accent regions: Mid South is most common, it includes most of Central, Southern, and Western KY. Appalachian KY is very distinctive, many people use "you fellers (fellows)" as opposed to "y'all", most people in the northern tip of KY across from Cincinnati have a strong Northern accent that is nearly identical to what you'd hear in Detroit or Cleveland. Louisville is a bit of everything.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM

14,163 posts, read 25,897,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't know that Colorado has a distinct native accent, let alone more than one. Most of the variety of accents seems to come from people who moved here from out of state, myself included. In fact, it seems like most of the people who live here are out of staters. Where I'm originally from - Pennsylvania - there are several native accents. This is a pretty good map:

I moved to Denver from the LA area, and to me, people sound the same in Denver as in LA. I've never really been out among the rural native Coloradans, where I would suspect any obvious accent would be found. To me, people in all the western cities have the same basic accent. Except for transplants and immigrants, of course.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 AM

267 posts, read 286,996 times
Interesting!

Mapping How Americans Talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLYe31MBrg

Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,651,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I moved to Denver from the LA area, and to me, people sound the same in Denver as in LA. I've never really been out among the rural native Coloradans, where I would suspect any obvious accent would be found. To me, people in all the western cities have the same basic accent. Except for transplants and immigrants, of course.
Yeah, we don't have enough natives to really have regional dialects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.