Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Option B would be the clear winner for me. Even if you had ample vacation time in the paradise place, you can't even really DO anything on your vacation time, because you won't have the money to do so!

Climate is sort of overrated, when it comes to quality of life, unless you have SAD or some other health condition that requires a particular climate to be healthy. Most places that are cold/gray most of the year also have a solid summer anyway, for your satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I'm rich enough to live anywhere, although it might be tight budgeting in a few places like New York or San Francisco. But, by choice, I live in the poor end of a south Texas town, which is no worse than any paradise that I know about, and certainly better then NYC. So the parameters of the question are meaningless to me, in that my means and my choice are not functions of each other. Nor, as far as I can tell, any correlation between Paradise and cost of living. In fact, in the USA, the cost of living is actually higher in "undesirable areas" than in anything remotely resembling "Paradise".

Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Rich > Poor over any location.
This is a sad, bankrupt sentiment.

I would rather be "poor" and love where I lived. I don't need stuff to make me happy at all and I've never cared about impressing anyone.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:06 PM

442 posts, read 496,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Option C- I'd take the job with the money. But rather than blowing my money on " toys & trips ", I'd be saving it.

I'd be taking classes nights at either a physical location or online, to improve my skills. I'd be investing all that money. If I didn't know how to invest, I'd start learning. I'd consider the job a stay of several years at most, but not forever. I'd look at that job as a stepping stone and nothing more.

Then I'd start looking to relocate to the climate and place I really liked. Hopefully, I'd be employable there and would have a really good financial basis under me to make it worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
OP- it has nothing to do with whether one enjoys studying ( who enjoys studying after work ??? - no one I would guess). It has all to do with what a person wants out of life and figuring out how to get it. Making a plan and then making the plan work. Deferred rewards if you want to call it that.

Plan A is choosing poverty-
Plan B is looking out the window every morning and going to bed every night and saying , " oh yuck".

This is the only life you get- make it work for you- it's all on you. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

I would rather be "poor" and love where I lived. I don't need stuff to make me happy at all and I've never cared about impressing anyone.
I agree with all of the above..

Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I was in this boat. I moved from a place that had a very high amount of praise to one that did not. The former had natural beauty, popularity, moderate weather and a reputation for being very cool. People thought I was nuts to move to a more unpopular city which did not have the reputation for those things.

But living in poor in paradise, which was a quite modest place decades before when I first moved there, had become a financial nightmare for me. Sure it was a beautiful place but one cannot eat scenery. I laid awake at nights wondering how I was going to make ends meet as the COL continued to soar way above my reach. I was advise to "do whatever possible" and "cut back to the bone" in order to remain living there because it was such a wonderful place and no one in their right mind would ever leave.

Then one day I realized that I wasn't enjoying any of the "wonderfulness." I simply couldn't afford it. And it was just not worth it any longer. It wasn't paradise for me.

So I packed up my things and moved to the "rich undesirable" option, although "rich" isn't quite the word to describe it. I would use the word "comfortable" or "okay." People where I used to live made fun of it. But paradise is in the eye of the beholder. I can afford this place and I like it. To me that's paradise and I don't feel I have given up anything but the worry of being able to meet my rent and paying my bills.

There are many nice things to do in my new place and the best thing is I can afford to do them without feeling guilty. For me, I guess you can say that I am neither poor in paradise nor rich in an undesirable place but am finally doing okay in a good place.

So to answer the OP's question, rich in an undesirable place. But not so rich and not so undesirable.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
With me, money trumps location. Couldn't there be a compromise?

Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
As long as I have a roof over my head, and enough food to survive, Id rather be poor in paradise. I can walk outside, take it all in, and just breathe. Being rich only leads to unhappiness over time, and when you die, you cant take it with you anyways, so Id rather enjoy life's natural beauty versus life's material riches.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

If you're calling me morally bankrupt, I don't understand why. I merely made an observation.

Money is the only way to survive in a plutocratic system where the rich get away with anything. If you don't have money, there is nothing protecting you from any manner of abuses from either the government or corporations.

I'm happy with my relatively poor life but I know that if one aspect of it became unraveled; my job, my health, my student debt, I'd be ruined in an instant.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Rich and poor are relative. If someone loves where they live and can survive there, they really aren't poor even if they don't have a lot of money. They are rich in other ways. As long as they have food on the table, a roof over their heads and can enjoy their surroundings that's what's important. That's their paradise. When people can't afford those things, they are no longer in paradise no matter where they are.

Paradise can lose its charm very quickly if you don't have the means to survive in it.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 PM

492 posts, read 535,479 times
being poor sucks anywhere..

Option B is my take..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.