Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times

Advertisements

The biggest town in Colorado is Castle Rock, population 53,063.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:12 PM

549 posts, read 843,121 times
Upper Darby Township, PA has a population of 82,795. That's the largest town I was able to find.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 PM

549 posts, read 843,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Town is shorthand for Township. Why some states use the word township and others use town, I do not know. A few states, like New Jersey and Pennsylvania use both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
1. Not in every state. Colorado has no townships. We have cities and towns, period.
Isn't that exactly was LINative was saying?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I don't think so. "Town" in Colorado is not short for "township". A town in Colorado is more like a city.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Quote:
I don't think so. "Town" in Colorado is not short for "township". A town in Colorado is more like a city.
I actually think FallsAngel is right. I looked up some of the Towns in Colorado and the first thing I noticed is how small they are in land area and population. These Colorado Towns are often less then a square mile in size while Towns/Townships in the Northeast and Midwest are often 40 or 50 square miles (and sometimes larger). So I think Colorado's towns are quite different from those in the Northern states. Also I think most of Colorado is unincorporated (?), which is different from the Northeast and much of the Midwest

List of cities and towns in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just guessing but towns in Colorado seem to be communities that wanted to incorporate but were not large enough to be a city? Perhaps they are similar to boroughs in Pennsylvania.

Very interesting how each state is slightly different from other states.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 AM

4,966 posts, read 6,228,163 times
Quote:
Town is shorthand for Township. Why some states use the word township and others use town, I do not know. A few states, like New Jersey and Pennsylvania use both.

There are 20 states with Townships/Towns that are important enough that the US Census Bureau counts them as "minor civil divisions". Interestingly these are all Northern states - Midwestern and Northeastern.
1. Maine - Town
2. New Hampshire - Town
3. Vermont - Town
4. Massachusetts - Town
5. Rhode Island - Town
6. Connecticut - Town
7. New York - Town
8. New Jersey - Township*
9. Pennsylvania - Township*
10. Ohio - Township
11. Michigan - Township?
12. Wisconsin - Town
13. Indiana - Township
14. Illinois - Township
15. Minnesota - Township
16. Missouri - Township
17. North Dakota - Township
18. South Dakota - Township
19. Nebraska - Township
20. Kansas - Township

Township (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (what about Iowa???)

* NJ and PA have a couple of communities each called Towns instead of Townships. They are basically the same thing.

There are townships and even towns (such as in Virginia) in Southern and Western states but they do not seem as important as in the Northern states. Instead, often the County level government is of increased importance.

List of towns in Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indiana has both townships and towns. Townships in Indiana mainly deal with unincorporated areas of each county. Each area is divided into townships, even the big cities. For example, Indianapolis is composed of 9 different townships. But Indiana also has towns. The city I live in, Fishers, a suburb of Indianapolis, was the largest town in Indiana with a population of around 85,000 until we became a city on Jan. 1 of this year. Before that we were a town and consisted of 2 different townships.

To become a city, first it had to be approved by the state government to go on the ballet. Then people in the town had to vote during the general election of 2013 whether to become a city or stay a town. Then last year we voted for our first mayor. Previously, we had a 5 person town council and they appointed a town manager from among themselves. Now that we are a city, we no longer have the town manager position but have a mayor elected by the people and the council expanded from the 5 person town council to a 9 person city council with 5 or 6 elected per district and the rest elected at-large.

Also in Indiana, schools are often by township instead of by town or city. Not always, but often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...own_government

Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I actually think FallsAngel is right. I looked up some of the Towns in Colorado and the first thing I noticed is how small they are in land area and population. These Colorado Towns are often less then a square mile in size while Towns/Townships in the Northeast and Midwest are often 40 or 50 square miles (and sometimes larger). So I think Colorado's towns are quite different from those in the Northern states. Also I think most of Colorado is unincorporated (?), which is different from the Northeast and much of the Midwest

List of cities and towns in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just guessing but towns in Colorado seem to be communities that wanted to incorporate but were not large enough to be a city? Perhaps they are similar to boroughs in Pennsylvania.

Very interesting how each state is slightly different from other states.
Yes, you're correct on both counts. I've never quite understood the town system in NY, though I lived in upstate NY for a short time. It seems to me the town system there is a division of the county, and then there are these villages inside the towns.

About 1/3 of the land in CO is owned by the Feds.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Yes, you're correct on both counts. I've never quite understood the town system in NY, though I lived in upstate NY for a short time. It seems to me the town system there is a division of the county, and then there are these villages inside the towns.
My understanding is that towns offer services throughout the entire town, unless a village incorporates. In that case the village (which can be entirely within a town, split between two or more, towns, and even cross county lines) can choose to provide some of its own services, including garbage collection, street maintenance, and zoning/building codes. Villages also have mayors, while towns only have supervisors.

Using Pennsylvania as an analogy (since I know you were from here originally) New York towns are more like Pennsylvania Townships than New England Towns. Villages are like boroughs, except instead of having sole jurisdiction between their borders, they share it with the towns.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,522,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Indiana has both townships and towns. Townships in Indiana mainly deal with unincorporated areas of each county. Each area is divided into townships, even the big cities. For example, Indianapolis is composed of 9 different townships. But Indiana also has towns. The city I live in, Fishers, a suburb of Indianapolis, was the largest town in Indiana with a population of around 85,000 until we became a city on Jan. 1 of this year. Before that we were a town and consisted of 2 different townships.

To become a city, first it had to be approved by the state government to go on the ballet. Then people in the town had to vote during the general election of 2013 whether to become a city or stay a town. Then last year we voted for our first mayor. Previously, we had a 5 person town council and they appointed a town manager from among themselves. Now that we are a city, we no longer have the town manager position but have a mayor elected by the people and the council expanded from the 5 person town council to a 9 person city council with 5 or 6 elected per district and the rest elected at-large.

Also in Indiana, schools are often by township instead of by town or city. Not always, but often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...own_government
i guess my original question was is there any city in the us (e.g. las vegas) that doesnt have an elected mayor but is governed by a group of appointed managers. it seems that since metro hubs are so important to their region they always have electable mayors that can be changed at the next cycle.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My understanding is that towns offer services throughout the entire town, unless a village incorporates. In that case the village (which can be entirely within a town, split between two or more, towns, and even cross county lines) can choose to provide some of its own services, including garbage collection, street maintenance, and zoning/building codes. Villages also have mayors, while towns only have supervisors.

Using Pennsylvania as an analogy (since I know you were from here originally) New York towns are more like Pennsylvania Townships than New England Towns. Villages are like boroughs, except instead of having sole jurisdiction between their borders, they share it with the towns.
But townships in PA don't have these little villages inside of them. My take on the township system in PA was that they may originally have been intended for more rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.