U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,447 times

Advertisements

Howdy yall,
I'm relocating from Montana to one of the following states and I'm looking for a small, quiet, cowboy town where I can own 20+ acres and have a ranch and shooting range on my land. I am looking for a conservative place with many trees, rivers and good bbq. I do enjoy Honky Tonk Bars with country music. Rodeos are another thing I like to go to, although I do not do Rodeo. I love good quality country people who are very selfless and friendly. Not like Southern California or North East US. In other words, I am not a liberal and I do not want to be in a liberal city. I will have kids soon and I am looking for employment in Law Enforcement. I hope you guys can help me find a place. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:24 PM

867 posts, read 1,089,428 times
Cowtown Rodeo - The Oldest Weekly Running Rodeo in the USA

Old 02-01-2015, 02:39 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,670,585 times
Whats your budget?

Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM

227 posts, read 311,769 times
I would recommend Tennessee first, then West Texas second and East Texas third. I'd also add that I think you are crazy to leave Montana.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM

447 posts, read 581,136 times
As someone considering Missoula (along with some others) for relocating *to* - why do you want to move away?

I can't speak much for the Eastern US, but I would say that a lot of Texas won't quite fit your bill. The panhandle, west, south, and central parts of the state don't have much in the way trees and a lot of rivers are seasonal and spread out. East Texas is more in line with the rest of the South - green, tall trees, lots of water, etc.

While test scores aren't everything, most of the eastern part of Texas tends to have average or below average rated school districts. As with anything though, there are definitely some gems but if public education is important to you, you might want to be careful when you're shopping around for where to live. On the other hand, Texas has a great homeschooling community and there are usually local support groups should you decide to go that route. I was homeschooled in the San Antonio area, and our local community is so large we're actually able to support competitive sport programs, playing against private schools in basketball, football, soccer, etc.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:17 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
I would highly recommend SW Virginia which is a stunningly beautiful area that should fit your requirements pretty well. Check out the Christiansburg area along the I-81 corridor just SW of Roanoke.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 AM

43,376 posts, read 41,922,817 times
North Carolina isn't on your list?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:32 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 521,297 times
Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargers1775 View Post
Howdy yall,
I'm relocating from Montana to one of the following states and I'm looking for a small, quiet, cowboy town where I can own 20+ acres and have a ranch and shooting range on my land. I am looking for a conservative place with many trees, rivers and good bbq. I do enjoy Honky Tonk Bars with country music. Rodeos are another thing I like to go to, although I do not do Rodeo. I love good quality country people who are very selfless and friendly. Not like Southern California or North East US. In other words, I am not a liberal and I do not want to be in a liberal city. I will have kids soon and I am looking for employment in Law Enforcement. I hope you guys can help me find a place. Thank you
Howdy! Honky Tonk bars, rodeo, bbq, guns, conservative, country music, rivers and trees. Sounds like you just described Texas. Hint.... check out the towns of Bandera, Comfort, Utopia, Leakey, Hondo, Castroville, Pleasanton and Floresville. Happy huntin' .

Old 02-04-2015, 07:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,326,924 times
I don't understand where Virginia comes into this. Although a good deal of the state is very conservative, it has nothing to do with "cowboy" culture. In Virginia even if you have cattle, it's still a farm. You could probably find some land at cheaper prices in the depressed southwest part of Virginia, however, than you could anywhere desirable in rural/small town Texas. Coming from Montana, the VA weather might be a bit less of a shock to the system than TX. A lot more trees in VA. Dunno about the bbq there -- suppose it's more or less Carolina style in any of the places you would want to be.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 PM

9,833 posts, read 20,533,814 times
My husband, a native Texan, spent a year at Fort Lee, VA. Although he and I both enjoyed the time there (since we both love civil and revolutionary war history), Virginia isn't "cowboy" at all. The horse country of Virginia is up in the northern part, but it's more hunter/jumpers and dressage than western riding. Avoid Fairfax County at all costs; it's a democrat haven for people who work in nearby DC. The BBQ in Virginia is the Carolina-style, which we thought was nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or