Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:08 PM

545 posts, read 1,099,838 times

Advertisements

Will sun belt and southern cities continue to out grow the north, simply because of their desirable climates? People are more mobile now then ever before. Same with businesses. So not counting any major climate change events, or water running out, can you see the southern areas becoming more populated than the north east?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM

338 posts, read 556,153 times
Hell yeah

Old 02-03-2015, 08:37 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,130 times
I suspect that climate changes, water resources, and overall QOL will shift populations back to The North. Perhaps not in my lifetime, but it's inevitable.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Everything in the US is based on supply and demand.

So, you have to look at your potential "audience." Retirees? Then, you need to have retiree-friendly amenities and tax-breaks, and good healthcare, etc.

Do you want businesses? Then be business-friendly - tax breaks, etc.

If you pay well enough, or have enough amenities - basically, "if you build it" - they will come.

If you told me I could live rent free in Nebraska, and I'd get free food of my choice (not just a ton of old bread and canned corn) and I'd get free dental and vision, as well as medical, and free utilities...I'd seriously consider moving from my perfect weather in CA.

Basically, you'd have to compete with good weather. If you can do that, people would likely move there. But, you'd be selling it to a crowd who couldn't afford a better option. And that's a consideration, too.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 AM

27,158 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Will sun belt and southern cities continue to out grow the north, simply because of their desirable climates? People are more mobile now then ever before. Same with businesses. So not counting any major climate change events, or water running out, can you see the southern areas becoming more populated than the north east?
More populated? Probably. More businesses and more GDP? No. Much of the growth in the Sunbelt area (Florida in particular) is unsustainable and not geared toward self-sufficiency.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Everything in the US is based on supply and demand.

So, you have to look at your potential "audience." Retirees? Then, you need to have retiree-friendly amenities and tax-breaks, and good healthcare, etc.

Do you want businesses? Then be business-friendly - tax breaks, etc.

If you pay well enough, or have enough amenities - basically, "if you build it" - they will come.

If you told me I could live rent free in Nebraska, and I'd get free food of my choice (not just a ton of old bread and canned corn) and I'd get free dental and vision, as well as medical, and free utilities...I'd seriously consider moving from my perfect weather in CA.

Basically, you'd have to compete with good weather. If you can do that, people would likely move there. But, you'd be selling it to a crowd who couldn't afford a better option. And that's a consideration, too.
Spot on! In fact, you hear it all of the time: "where can I live where I can have XYZ and ABC and not have to be rich to live comfortably?". As demand in one area out-strips supply, prices rise to adjust the market to an equilibrium where demand can be satiated by supply. In that event, people start reconsidering options they used to think weren't so attractive.

At the end of the day, it comes down to one's money, and people literally buy their happiness based on what truly makes them happy and what's available to them. Most people would rather have a roof over their head than live someplace where it doesn't snow (most).

Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 AM

14,351 posts, read 17,009,810 times
It's not really about climate, as others said, it's about cost of living, particularly cost of housing, combined with access to jobs. Coastal California, after all, probably has the best climate in the country (if you want sunny days, a lack of cold winters, and also a lack of hot summers), but population growth has slowed way down because it's built out and housing isn't cheap there at all. On the other hand, although growing from a small base, Idaho and Wyoming saw pretty good population growth in the 2000s, beating out many southern states despite having fairly cold winters.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:16 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
^ Yup, it's about jobs and the local economy, always has been.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not really about climate, as others said, it's about cost of living, particularly cost of housing, combined with access to jobs. Coastal California, after all, probably has the best climate in the country (if you want sunny days, a lack of cold winters, and also a lack of hot summers), but population growth has slowed way down because it's built out and housing isn't cheap there at all. On the other hand, although growing from a small base, Idaho and Wyoming saw pretty good population growth in the 2000s, beating out many southern states despite having fairly cold winters.
The Dakota's are the fastest growing states in teh nation, and are bone-chilling cold in winter. Its all about the economy.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
North Dakota, one of the coldest (maybe even COLDEST) states in the lower 48, and overall one of the least scenic, is the fastest growing state in the country.

Because....JOBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.