Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,878 times

Advertisements

We are young polish-family with a 4 year old daughter and a medium size dog. I am a new RN with MS biochemistry with 10 years research/cord blood experience, my husband is GMC/BUICK certified automotive technician. We curentlly live in NYC-Middle Village, which is a great family friendly area that we love, but its expensive. We will not be able to buy a house, space is limited. Single family houses go for close to 700k plus like 7k taxes, as I said space is very limited. We hate the traffic in/out of the city, we do not use Manhattan at all. We travel a lot to PA but only for the weekends to our parents house, but its more as a vacation than a place to consider to move.

So we want to move out for slower life, better quality of life for us and our child, saver neighborhood and good jobs, good schools for our daughter, close to good colleges. We love nature and out door activities.we want to get another dog and a child.

We consider NJ or rockland county upstate NY, but we realized that we would spend alot of time commuting to work plus the taxes for a house are like 10-12k for one family house, which is crazy. We feel PA doesnt have a good job market. CT is as expensive as NYC. Boston/Massachusets area seems like a great idea, but the snow is just too much to deal with...then we look at washington DC area.maryland/delaware/virginia-close to washingotn dc, but we dont know much about the area, the costs seems smaller, but safety wise im not sure. North carolina Raleigh-seems like a good option, but from the research it seems that the job market slowed down due to high movement of people to the area. Then there is texas- feel its great option but climate wise not sure if we cant handle it...chicago/california/arizona is out of the question, and Minesota, rochester good option but to far from family and toooo cold...

Any Ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:19 PM

603 posts, read 930,864 times
I'm interested to see how this thread turns out. So many areas shot down with the opening post. Reminds me a bit of a nep321 thread.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,878 times
Really thats all im getting...no one has any opinion or advice???

Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I'm interested to see how this thread turns out. So many areas shot down with the opening post. Reminds me a bit of a nep321 thread.
Well at least Nep is branding himself haha perhaps "Nepping" can be a new verb on City-Data.

OP: Your criteria basically eliminates almost any option based on too many possible scenarios, perhaps a better description, or an idea of what you're willing to compromise on might make it easier to get input. Otherwise it seems you are looking for a magical place that doesn't really exist.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Well what's your budget?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I don't understand why you're thinking about the "job market not being good" in general. It would be insane to relocate somewhere with a child without one of you having a job lined up anyway.

My advice to you guys is to throw out perceptions of the local economy entirely. You have a more "professional" job than your husband, so you should just start applying to online jobs in your field in areas you're willing to consider. When you get a job offer, consider whether you're willing to move to that place in particular.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Kentucky sounds like the place for you

Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
The Baltimore-Washington area might work for you. The job market is generally good, thanks in large part to the proximity of the federal government. Some areas are safer than others, so if you do decide to consider this area, look carefully. As a general rule of thumb, the higher the home prices are, the safer the area is likely to be, and the better the schools are likely to be as well.

For point of comparison, a "typical" two-story, four-bedroom house in Howard County, MD (located along I-95 in-between the two cities, a bit closer to Baltimore) will run you about $500,000 (less in certain parts of Columbia or Laurel, but some of those areas might not be what you're looking for) and real-estate taxes will go about $6,000 per year. Townhouses go for around $300,000. The school system here is regularly touted as being one of the best in the nation. Commuting to either city is very feasible and plenty of people do it, though the traffic to Washington is considerably worse than heading to Baltimore. (Public transportation is available, though it's mainly geared for folks who work a 9 to 5 schedule.) This county is fairly low density (certainly much less density than you're used to) and there are a lot of parks and other outdoor options available. Pennsylvania is readily accessible for a weekend trip.

I'm not sure I would describe this area as a "slower pace of life," but if you're comparing it to New York City, then it will probably feel pretty quiet to you. It's different, to be sure; suburban life is different than city life, and only you can decide if you want to make that leap.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
There are a lot of hospitals and medical related things in the Cleveland area.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Seattle? Too far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.