Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Jersey More Like Maryland or Connecticut
Maryland 55 55.00%
Connecticut 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I keep hearing people mention the shared media thing....I'm from Central Jersey, and have NEVER heard any news or commercials about Connecticut. Ever.

But to be fair, i don't hear about Maryland either. Most of our news centers on NJ/PA/Delaware.

And I know more people who go to Maryland then to Connecticut (for whatever reason). Ocean City MD is a popular place.
You're from CENTRAL NJ and you hear Delaware news? What is your definition of "central NJ"? Central Jersey, parts of at least, are genuinely evenly split between NYC and Philly media markets. They get both. Sounds like you're from South Jersey. DE's reach isn't even that far in NJ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 03:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
North Jersey - CT

South Jersey - Md

Central Jersey- PA

In my opinion NJ can be classified into 3 distinct parts. I think south jersey is more of a mid Atlantic place, where as north jersey is definitely in the dense NY/CT region. The hilly rural areas of NJ are most like PA imo.
I agree.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're from CENTRAL NJ and you hear Delaware news? What is your definition of "central NJ"? Central Jersey, parts of at least, are genuinely evenly split between NYC and Philly media markets. They get both. Sounds like you're from South Jersey. DE's reach isn't even that far in NJ...
If that person lives in the Philadelphia media market, the local news stations would cover anything going on in Philadelphia, its suburbs, South Jersey, Delaware, and the Lehigh Valley. If you live in Mercer County and turn on Action News, you'll see stories about murders in Wilmington, DE all the time. And fires.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
New Jersey is more like Connecticut. Similar Demographics (Italian, Irish, Jewish, Puerto Rican and Dominican populations) both are surrounded by two major Northeastern cities that are located in adjacent states (Philly and NYC for New Jersey and NYC and Boston for Connecticut) both have ivy league schools etc.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have lived in both Northern and Southern NJ. Burlington County, Camden, Glouceseter, and especially Cumberland and Salem counties are more like Maryland. The NJ shore counties are a split audience because they bring down more NYers (which by association aligns more with CT) but because they are beaches, align more with Maryland than Connecticut.

Otherwise, it's easily Connecticut, because Northern NJ has twice as many people as Southern NJ. Culturally, Northern NJ is considerably more aligned with Connecticut than Maryland. Maryland is not in the Philadelphia MSA (which would associate with southern NJ) however, the western part of Connecticut is in the NYC MSA, as is northern NJ. Therefore, the choice to me is clear that NJ has way more in common with Connecticut overall than Maryland, especially when considering social similarity for Northern NJ and Connecticut. Finally, consider land use planning. Northern NJ and Connecticut are way more frugal when it comes to how their suburbs are built out than is Southern NJ and Maryland.

Again, I believe this because of the weight of population distribution to northern NJ. If the opposite was true, I would probably vote the other way.
Actually there is one Maryland county within the Philly MSA, Cecil County.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:21 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Slow is not a "Mid-Atlantic vibe" considering parts of PA and MD and VA are slow. Southern Maryland is slow like South Jersey is slow.
Well, South Jersey is slow, as is Lower Delaware. Is that the "Mid Atlantic vibe" you are referring to? Can anybody explain what that even means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Those were not the only reasons stated btw you should go look back at the comments.
So can you not provide any of your own reasons? Or is it simply "plenty have been given already." You and anonelist are cut from the same cloth.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM

I picked Maryland even though South Jersey specifically gives off a Maryland vibe to me and North Jersey does seem more like Connecticut. Central Jersey could probably say either way.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Actually there is one Maryland county within the Philly MSA, Cecil County.
Cecil County is not an MSA county, it's a CSA county. And Philadelphians view it as being as much a part of their metro as Washingtonians view Martinsburg, WV as being a part of theirs.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I picked Maryland even though South Jersey specifically gives off a Maryland vibe to me and North Jersey does seem more like Connecticut.
A Maryland vibe meaning...

Large Black population with Black suburbs
Large transplant population
Large African population
Large Central American population
Rockville Town Center-type developments?

Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Cecil County, MD is part of the Philadelphia MSA. I think many of the Baltimore suburbs reminds me of New Jersey though.
See you've already beat me to it lol. And I agree with the similarities between Suburban Baltimore and New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.