Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Jersey More Like Maryland or Connecticut
Maryland 55 55.00%
Connecticut 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It just seemed to me that the grittiness, industrial factor and overall vibe around Newark and Jersey City resemble Baltimore (and Philadelphia) more than Connecticut cities, which are smaller.
True. Though Newark and Jersey City are both more similar in size to Bridgeport, New Haven or Hartford than Baltimore, let alone Philadelphia. Hard to compare the New Jersey cities are engulfed in the NYC metro while those Connecticut ones are far enough out to feel somewhat separated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, but this really makes me LOL. Connecticut's three major cities (Bridgeport, Hartford, and to a lesser extent New Haven) are all high-crime, semi-blighted, economically depressed, and have large black and Puerto Rican populations - just like Newark. Even the vernacular architecture is more similar (lots of detached wood-frame houses, hardly any rowhouses at all).
LOL. The factual whiffs keep comin'.

The seminal Supreme Court decision related to public takings--Kelo vs. New London--involved a blighted, economically depessed town in Connecticut. Anyone who has ever visited Yale should have been disabused of this notion of CT as a "pristine" state of cutesy villages upon arrival.

Some of these comments sound like perceptions of America in the Third World.

"In Uh-mair-ee-cah, the roads are made of goooooald. In Uh-mair-ee-cah, the people do not pee or poop. In Uh-mair-ee-cah, every child go to sleep with full belly, and healthcare give to all."

Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Definitely more like Maryland. I'm from CT and to me, the southern portion of NJ feels slightly southern cultured.

Also, ALL counties in CT are blue counties, except one. In NJ and MD, at least half of the counties are red.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I picked Maryland even though South Jersey specifically gives off a Maryland vibe to me and North Jersey does seem more like Connecticut. Central Jersey could probably say either way.
So you chose NJ based off of South Jersey? A significantly larger portion of NJ's population is in the North, which you said seems more like Connecticut. That would be like using the eastern shore of Maryland (or parts of the south/west) as a basis for comparing the state, while leaving out the (most populous) Baltimore-DC region in the comparison.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
So you chose NJ based off of South Jersey? A significantly larger portion of NJ's population is in the North, which you said seems more like Connecticut. That would be like using the eastern shore of Maryland (or parts of the south/west) as a basis for comparing the state, while leaving out the (most populous) Baltimore-DC region in the comparison.
I said that all parts of Maryland should carry equal weight for that reason. There is nowhere in New Jersey that is culturally similar to Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore (and nowhere that has their long history of tobacco cultivation). Western Maryland is in Appalachia and shares many similarities with West Virginia (which is partially included in the DC CSA). New Jersey does not have much of an Appalachian heritage nor are there too many parts that would remind anyone of West Virginia.

The Appalachian heritage also sets the Baltimore region apart from the urban areas in both NJ and CT.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said that all parts of Maryland should carry equal weight for that reason. There is nowhere in New Jersey that is culturally similar to Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore (and nowhere that has their long history of tobacco cultivation). Western Maryland is in Appalachia and shares many similarities with West Virginia (which is partially included in the DC CSA). New Jersey does not have much of an Appalachian heritage nor are there too many parts that would remind anyone of West Virginia.
NW New Jersey has on the edge of the Appalachians, but it's not quite there, and the Appalachians further north have a different culture*.

*I tend technically live near the Appalachians, but not in Appalachia

Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM

"Southern by the Grace of God, that's the Southern Maryland way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzkY5Hkl-0

Southern MD and the Eastern Shore are probably a leeetle bit different from New Jersey.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
"Southern by the Grace of God, that's the Southern Maryland way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzkY5Hkl-0

Southern MD and the Eastern Shore are probably a leeetle bit different from New Jersey.
LOL That is painfully bad.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
LOL That is painfully bad.
Really? I like it. I haven't downloaded it from iTunes yet, but I likely will.

Although some of the Marylanders here will be quick to disavow Southern MD, I think it's the best part of the state. You have quick access to two rivers (Potomac and Patuxent) and the Bay. Plus, that's where the state was founded. It's also the heart of the seafood industry Maryland is known for.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Really? I like it. I haven't downloaded it from iTunes yet, but I likely will.

Although some of the Marylanders here will be quick to disavow Southern MD, I think it's the best part of the state. You have quick access to two rivers (Potomac and Patuxent) and the Bay. Plus, that's where the state was founded. It's also the heart of the seafood industry Maryland is known for.
Not the song, the video, especially the beginning. Terrible acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.