Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Carolina: More in common with Maryland or Alabama
Maryland 47 45.63%
Alabama 56 54.37%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times

Advertisements

I drove on Hwy 301 up to Baltimore from Raleigh once to avoid DC, taking me through a good chunk of Maryland. Along the way in Maryland, I had many "Ah! This reminds me of North Carolina!" moments. Areas like Waldorf, Crofton, Bowie, etc. You can tell both states are roughly in the same region (Upper South/Mid-Atlantic) just from driving through, at least I can. I know this is broad but they really don't look too different, although we have more pine trees down here. I've been around some DC and Baltimore suburbs that have reminded me of Raleigh suburbs, too. Not saying they're twins, because I think North Carolina and Virginia are most similar, but there are similarities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:34 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I drove on Hwy 301 up to Baltimore from Raleigh once to avoid DC, taking me through a good chunk of Maryland. Along the way in Maryland, I had many "Ah! This reminds me of North Carolina!" moments. Areas like Waldorf, Crofton, Bowie, etc. You can tell both states are roughly in the same region (Upper South/Mid-Atlantic) just from driving through, at least I can. I know this is broad but they really don't look too different, although we have more pine trees down here. I've been around some DC and Baltimore suburbs that have reminded me of Raleigh suburbs, too. Not saying they're twins, because I think North Carolina and Virginia are most similar, but there are similarities.
Parts of Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey remind me of North Carolina.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:20 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Both are in the South, so there are definitely some similarities.
I was just thinking of the scenery...nothing in Alabama really reminds me of NC. I actually think NC's landscape is pretty unique among Southern states.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I was just thinking of the scenery...nothing in Alabama really reminds me of NC. I actually think NC's landscape is pretty unique among Southern states.
NC has more and higher mountains and a longer coastline but otherwise the two states have topographical similarities, especially within the Piedmont/foothills.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Comparing some basics like ancestry, religion, accents, politics, climate, and economy should point us in the right direction.

Ancestry:

In this case North Carolina is more like Alabama.

Religion:

Again, North Carolina is more like Alabama.

Accents:

In this case North Carolina is once again more like Alabama.

Politics:

This map is a summary of the last few presidential elections. In light pink North Carolina normally goes to the republicans, just like other southern states. Maryland, like most other northeastern states, is solidly blue as it has voted Democratic in every recent presidential election. North Carolina is again more like Alabama - a solidly red state.

Climate:

North Carolina once again is more like Alabama here. Both are virtually entirely humid subtropical, while Maryland straddles the cusp of the humid subtropical and the humid continental warm summer climate.

Economy:

North Carolina appears closer to Alabama in this regard. Overall, from what I can see North Carolina is a lot more like Alabama.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Clearly judging from this poll many who voted have not seen much of NC. It bears far more resemblance to Maryland than Alabama and cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston Salem have much more of a Mid-Atlantic feel than they do Deep South (i.e. Birmingham).

Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly judging from this poll many who voted have not seen much of NC. It bears far more resemblance to Maryland than Alabama and cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston Salem have much more of a Mid-Atlantic feel than they do Deep South (i.e. Birmingham).
I kinda have to disagree with that. One of the defining characteristics of mid-Atlantic cities is a historic, relatively structurally dense urban fabric along a body of water; in that respect, Wilmington and New Bern probably come closest in NC overall but they are quite small compared to Richmond, DC, Baltimore, etc. And the funny thing here is that Birmingham (sans a body of water) and Mobile are arguably more like mid-Atlantic cities in this respect than most NC cities. But I will say that downtown DC in particular feels pretty shiny and newish, even the historic stuff, and can give off an Uptown Charlotte sorta vibe.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Definitely there is more of a physical/geographical resemblance between NC and MD, but you have to consider all factors. NC has many similarities with both states.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:39 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Comparing some basics like ancestry, religion, accents, politics, climate, and economy should point us in the right direction.

Ancestry:

In this case North Carolina is more like Alabama.

Religion:

Again, North Carolina is more like Alabama.

Accents:

In this case North Carolina is once again more like Alabama.

Politics:

This map is a summary of the last few presidential elections. In light pink North Carolina normally goes to the republicans, just like other southern states. Maryland, like most other northeastern states, is solidly blue as it has voted Democratic in every recent presidential election. North Carolina is again more like Alabama - a solidly red state.

Climate:

North Carolina once again is more like Alabama here. Both are virtually entirely humid subtropical, while Maryland straddles the cusp of the humid subtropical and the humid continental warm summer climate.

Economy:

North Carolina appears closer to Alabama in this regard. Overall, from what I can see North Carolina is a lot more like Alabama.
First, several of these maps are older - some as old as 15 years. Some of these things are fluid and can change from year to year, but I see them a bit differently that you do. Keep in mind that I think NC has a lot in common with each state, but you seem to be trying to prove the similarities between AL and NC.

1. The ancestry map is based on what individuals reported, not actual ancestry. I have to believe that many, many people don't know their true ancestry, and much of NC was settled by migrants from PA/MD/VA and other areas, so there honestly should be much more in common with MD in reality.

2. The religion map is based on the largest group reported...I'm sure you know that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other religions represented in each state/area, but that I will agree that NC has more in common with AL in this category.

3. NC is almost identical to VA on the accents map...would you also agree that VA is more like AL than MD? I wouldn't. It's kind of hard to tell exactly how MD comes out on this one, but just from my knowledge of both states the NC accents (there are several) are nothing at all like AL accents - and are a little more in line with MD. I guess this one could go either way.

4. Politics is a very fluid subject and NC is a changing landscape in this area - largely considered a swing state in national elections but locally (due to gerrymandering) is more Republican. The fact that NC is not red or blue puts it solidly in the middle between MD and AL; therefore it isn't more like either in my book.

5. The climate zones show NC mostly green with a little corner of blue and MD more than 2/3 green and less than 1/3 blue. AL is solid green...look like more similarity to MD than AL to me.

6. The income map is from 2008 during the height of the recession so I feel sure things look much different today, but even so AL is about half red. NC looks to be less than 1/4 red and solidly in between AL and MD. Advantage to neither.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
First, several of these maps are older - some as old as 15 years. Some of these things are fluid and can change from year to year, but I see them a bit differently that you do. Keep in mind that I think NC has a lot in common with each state, but you seem to be trying to prove the similarities between AL and NC.

1. The ancestry map is based on what individuals reported, not actual ancestry. I have to believe that many, many people don't know their true ancestry, and much of NC was settled by migrants from PA/MD/VA and other areas, so there honestly should be much more in common with MD in reality.

2. The religion map is based on the largest group reported...I'm sure you know that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other religions represented in each state/area, but that I will agree that NC has more in common with AL in this category.

3. NC is almost identical to VA on the accents map...would you also agree that VA is more like AL than MD? I wouldn't. It's kind of hard to tell exactly how MD comes out on this one, but just from my knowledge of both states the NC accents (there are several) are nothing at all like AL accents - and are a little more in line with MD. I guess this one could go either way.

4. Politics is a very fluid subject and NC is a changing landscape in this area - largely considered a swing state in national elections but locally (due to gerrymandering) is more Republican. The fact that NC is not red or blue puts it solidly in the middle between MD and AL; therefore it isn't more like either in my book.

5. The climate zones show NC mostly green with a little corner of blue and MD more than 2/3 green and less than 1/3 blue. AL is solid green...look like more similarity to MD than AL to me.

6. The income map is from 2008 during the height of the recession so I feel sure things look much different today, but even so AL is about half red. NC looks to be less than 1/4 red and solidly in between AL and MD. Advantage to neither.
I'm also going with MD, but accents are probably more like AL. I've never met anyone from MD who sounds southern, and most people down here in NC do. Even in transplant saturated Research Triangle suburbs (where I grew up), you can listen to accents and tell you're in the South. Accents in this area have transformed into accents that are more neutral, but I'm positive they still sound more southern than what you'd hear in MD. Accents in rural NC, different than AL but still much more like AL. I know there are different southern accents and I'd rather not get into the "Is Maryland in the South?" debate, but I think we sound a little more "country" for the most part down here. Longer drawls in Central and Eastern NC with a "twang" in Western NC. Even VA is probably more like MD on this front, while we're more like SC, GA, and AL. I could be wrong, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.