Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliest northeastern state?
Connecticut 1 1.64%
Delaware 3 4.92%
Maine 10 16.39%
Massachussetts 4 6.56%
Maryland 3 4.92%
New Jersey 1 1.64%
New York 8 13.11%
New Hampshire 5 8.20%
Pennsylvania 12 19.67%
Rhode Island 2 3.28%
Vermont 12 19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There is no Southern accent anywhere in NJ.
Well how come EVERY time I drive south on the NJTP, at the final toll booth in NJ, the toll booth person almost always has a slight southern accent?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well how come EVERY time I drive south on the NJTP, at the final toll booth in NJ, the toll booth person almost always has a slight southern accent?!
So Delaware, in the Philly region, has a Southern accent overall? Because the southernmost NJTP exit is the Delaware Memorial Bridge, just past the PA border, and people down in that part of NJ speak most similarly to Philly area people, which includes parts of NJ, PA, and DE.

Look, I really don't want to do this. It is ridiculous to suggest NJ has a southern accent. There are accents in the southern part of the state that sound very different from accents in the northern part of the state, but if many people like to argue that DE and MD are northern, how could any part of NJ possibly be southern?

What I said to get us here is that there are states that are uncontested in their place in a region - NJ and PA and above are uncontested Northeast. Then there are the states frequently debated on city-data, on General US, city vs city, and the Maryland forums, most commonly. These states are Maryland and Delaware, especially Maryland. When you find a (serious) thread on General US, city vs city, or the NJ forum doubting NJ's northeastern-ness, that garners a hell of a lot of arguing from those that say "yes it's northeastern" or "no it's not northeastern," come talk to me.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Well, the southern accents start to be heard in south Jersey, by a few people here and there.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen posted here.

You have GOT to be kidding.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen posted here.

You have GOT to be kidding.
Well, at the final toll booths on the NJTP and the Delaware Memorial Bridge, usually, the toll booth worker has a slight southern twang. How do you explain that one? It happens every time I drive south.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Well, at the final toll booths on the NJTP and the Delaware Memorial Bridge, usually, the toll booth worker has a slight southern twang. How do you explain that one? It happens every time I drive south.
If you want to get technical, it's midland dialect, which interestingly does have some elements that are similar to a southern accent (e.g., elongated vowel pronunciations), but it's still very distinctly different.

To someone with a New England ear, I can see how an accent in the midland would seem "slightly southern," but, again, it is definitely its own dialect and a far cry from something you'd hear in, say, Charlotte.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-13-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
It's not a southern accent though. Go to Alabama or the Carolinas to hear a southern accent

Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
I agree with you, because I noticed the same thing. It sounds the way people speak in Richmond a little bit. The only thing is accents change in the major cities around that area like Wilmington, Philadelphia and Baltimore. They don't speak twangy across the entire region as a whole.

I don't know what they call it, if it is not a southern accent tho; maybe tidewater or something, which is not totally country sounding like other southern places.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:46 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Western NY.

Pittsburgh is one of the rudest cities in the country. I have found the Philly suburbs to be more pleasant.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
New York is catching up on this poll!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Definitely not the Bay State known for being "M*******s!"

LOL at Pennsylvania winning, do you mean as in Quakers or politeness?

I voted Maine, because even though there is lots of friendliness overall in PA, the attitude around Philly drags it down since its next to NJ, probably the least friendly state. It's still quite friendly, and Pittsburgh is quite friendly for a city its size. Vermont may be fairly friendly but are a bit too reserved compared to Mainers IMO. No surprise NJ and CT are "losing" the most being well into the engima that comes with being near the hassle of NYC and known for preteniousness. At least people are understanding that NY is more than just NYC and Long Island and much of the upstate shares what's friendly in PA and VT. Rhode Island is likely low due to it being small, but I'd rank it in the middle, sort of with Delaware and New Hampshire. It does have its pretentious sections though.

I have a suspicious feeling City Kid will chime in for not one, but two things.
I don't know about City Kid, but I'm a little offended. I grew up in PA and lived in NJ for a number of years. I loved living in NJ! Some people understand that not everyone in NJ lives in the NYC metro. Not everyone in the NYC metro is hostile and self-absorbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.