Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A friend of mine who lived in Old City during his residency at Penn called Reading Terminal: "Deep fried Amish disappointment".
Possibly the worst thing I have ever read on CD..

I don't have time to write you a long reply back, butI highly doubt you have ever been there.

For the people that don't know, the Market is full of a variety of different places.. Merchants - Reading Terminal Market like dozens on dozens of Delis, Produce stands, Bakeries, Resturants, Sandwichs shops, Diary products, you name it, they got it. Not only is it one of the oldest farmer's market in the country, but also one of the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 07:54 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
Pittsburgh has the Strip District. Once they convert the produce terminal into a food warehouse like Reading Terminal, or Pikes Place, it will be one of the better food districts this country has to offer if it isn't already.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:59 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Does your city have a food district? What is your most popular food district? It can be a market area with restaurants, a whole sale area with restaurants, a seaport with restaurants, etc. etc. etc. Make sure you include the following information:

-City
-Location in that city
-Name of District
-Type of Food(s) served
-What makes it unique (architecture e.g. Warehouse etc.)
-Interesting new things or proposals coming to that district
-Restaurants to try in that district
-New York City
-Borough of Queens
-Everything
-It is the most diverse county in the U.S.
-Whatver new immigrants are coming here
-Trini Gul (used to be in my neighborhood but moved). Best curry crab dumpling outside of Trinidad and Tobago.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:08 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I live in New Orleans. Just about everything, everywhere in a 100 mile radius.
From what I saw, the French Quarter would be described as the main food district in New Orleans.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I don't have time to write you a long reply back, butI highly doubt you have ever been there.

For the people that don't know, the Market is full of a variety of different places.. Merchants - Reading Terminal Market like dozens on dozens of Delis, Produce stands, Bakeries, Resturants, Sandwichs shops, Diary products, you name it, they got it. Not only is it one of the oldest farmer's market in the country, but also one of the best.
Wrong. I have been there. Seriously, it's a food court. It's a cool environment but it's a food court.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:

Haha-right! The Amish don't even really deep fry so that is a weird thing to say.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

I have...many, many times and have actual experience dealing with the market from a business standpoint that lasted a few years (in the recent past). It's not like it used to be and the food stalls are about equivalent to what's available at most mall food courts. The "farmers market" aspect you refer to isn't so much either as there is a lot of produce but most of it isn't local to the area, which inspired the addition of the Fair Food Farmstand. Overall it's become a stop for fanny-pack wearing tourists looking for a "Philly Cheesesteak" and to see the Amish" as most locals shop elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha-right! The Amish don't even really deep fry so that is a weird thing to say.
Ummm....google Amish Fried Pies and Amish Fried Chicken.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ummm....google Amish Fried Pies and Amish Fried Chicken.
I've never seen or heard of either in the RTM. When I go to the Amish food stands I want fresh breakfast from the farm-most people seem to get the same. Reubens, turkey, potato salad, cole slaw, pot pie, pretzels, shoofly pie, whoopie pie, soups, jams, honey, sausage, scrapple are other common foods sold by The Amish-none fried except scrapple.

Anyway I do agree that The Reading Terminal Market has become way too touristy in recent years and I've always liked the Italian Market on 9th Street better but RTM is still awesome and a unique thing for people to see.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM

226 posts, read 280,736 times
Trinity Groves Dallas, TX
trinitygroves.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.