U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 PM

4,740 posts, read 2,995,480 times

Advertisements

While I think Oregon is doing the right thing in bringing speeds up to compare with their neighbors, I think there is still a population of Oregonians that will reject this and still drive at 60-64, especially in areas outside the urban areas. Good luck with that. Hopefully it won't increase road rage. And by that, I'm not talking about just Oregonians, but those from CA and WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,650,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
While I think Oregon is doing the right thing in bringing speeds up to compare with their neighbors, I think there is still a population of Oregonians that will reject this and still drive at 60-64, especially in areas outside the urban areas.
Why is that a problem? Slower traffic keep right. A posted maximum speed limit does not mean you have to drive that speed.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,189,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why is that a problem? Slower traffic keep right. A posted maximum speed limit does not mean you have to drive that speed.
Because it adds to unnecessary congestion, and raises danger in terms of speed differential. It's already happening here with the raised limits, in terms of people still going 60 while others raise speeds to 80+. Pretty easy-to-understand stuff.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,650,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Because it adds to unnecessary congestion, and raises danger in terms of speed differential. It's already happening here with the raised limits, in terms of people still going 60 while others raise speeds to 80+. Pretty easy-to-understand stuff.
No different than when the speed limit was 55. Some people afraid to drive faster than 55, and others passing at higher speeds.

There is a speed differential of 55mph on 2 lane roads, and there is no blood bath occurring there.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,870,061 times
Don't laugh -- Texas. Yes, the speed limit here is 70 mph on back country roads that are curvy and hilly and have no shoulder -- but nobody really drives that fast. Here in my town, traffic is MUCH slower and more leisurely on the main arterial streets than it is in most other parts of the country. Of course,. there are a few nuts who conspicuously drive fast, but in general, traffic moves at a pretty leisurely pace and you don't get a sense that people are in a rush..

I'm not talking about Houston, Dallas or Austin -- there is no accounting for what city people do anywhere.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,189,197 times
I don't know, I always felt like traffic moved along pretty quickly in TX, relative to rural WI at least. I did notice that there was more respect/politenes regarding it there, as people you follow for a while on 2-laners will pull over to the shoulder a bit so you can easily pass. Good luck getting that (ever) in the Upper Midwest, or really just about anywhere else.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:35 AM

4,740 posts, read 2,995,480 times
When the speed limit is 65 you have half the population driving at 62-65, the other half driving 74-80. I am not going to say who is correct here, just that the difference creates problems, like tailgating, passing on the right, etc. This is not a workable speed on US Interstates. 70 will help, but 75 is actually more appropriate in rural areas, IMO. Try driving in Idaho or Utah at 80, and everyone seems to move along just fine without much road rage.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:21 AM

8,440 posts, read 10,760,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I use to not understand the speed differential as well as I do now. I wasn't driving the route one person was, so I didn't see the same variables as the other poster described. However, that has changed, given traffic I have since driven in and what those from various states did, or didn't do, making it a dangerous drive for many miles. Plus learning the details of some accidents solidified the concepts better for me.

I've lived in states with the 80 mph speed limit as long as it has been legal. Always, there is a minimum speed limit posted too. If drivers aren't comfortable with the minumum speed limit, they shouldn't be on the interstates that allow higher speed limits.

It's not the higher speed limit and those driving it who cause the risks. It's those in the LEFT lane who are driving less than the lowest speed required and a few others who make driving more dangerous.

There was an accident locally around May. The cause of the accident was a driver from WA state not driving the minimum speed and alcohol being a factor too. The WA state motorist was in the left lane and did nothing but obstruct the flow of normal traffic. A semi hit that driver, although the semi driver rolled his truck into the right lane trying to miss this driver not going with the flow of traffic. The WA man was injured. He was also the only one given tickets for inappropriate driving.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-22-2015 at 03:46 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Don't laugh -- Texas. Yes, the speed limit here is 70 mph on back country roads that are curvy and hilly and have no shoulder -- but nobody really drives that fast. Here in my town, traffic is MUCH slower and more leisurely on the main arterial streets than it is in most other parts of the country. Of course,. there are a few nuts who conspicuously drive fast, but in general, traffic moves at a pretty leisurely pace and you don't get a sense that people are in a rush..

I'm not talking about Houston, Dallas or Austin -- there is no accounting for what city people do anywhere.
City people or tourists. I've seen some really strange things based on where some were from. If it's a good day, no one foreign is driving too City people depend on what their usual speed is and how many lanes are available. Tourists, well I've found it depends on which state they are from and what speed they are use to driving. A packed SUV jam packed with stuff and kids everywhere pulling a camping trailer can easily have that camp trailer cross over one to two lanes and pose additional safety problems for others.

I've decided after this summer, those who are heading home after camping and clearly don't want to go back to hotter weather and work, leave later than they should to get back home safely. Follow a vehicle pulling a camp trailer where you can see all the glass in the vehicle is packed, obstructing rear vision, with belongings so you have to wonder if that driver can see anything beyond what his left hand mirror shows, and decide to pass this vehicle that is going 80 mph.

Some people just behave like there is something personal about you passing them. The driver of the vehicle ahead of me decided to increase his speed to 90 mph. It wasn't worth it to me to have to drive faster than 90 mph to pass, as the camp trailer started to cross over to the other lanes. No one else passed him either, at least in that part of the road.

Does that qualify as road rage? I honestly don't know as no one was willing to risk driving > 90 mph with that camp trailer swaying back and forth. Probably other drivers were ticked at this one, but they could still drive 80 mph. Was that driver experiencing road rage? Again, IDK, but he wasn't going to let anyone pass him. An experience only compounded as we rounded a curve and rapidly caught up with some semi trucks.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-22-2015 at 03:57 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
When the speed limit is 65 you have half the population driving at 62-65, the other half driving 74-80. I am not going to say who is correct here, just that the difference creates problems, like tailgating, passing on the right, etc. This is not a workable speed on US Interstates. 70 will help, but 75 is actually more appropriate in rural areas, IMO. Try driving in Idaho or Utah at 80, and everyone seems to move along just fine without much road rage.
Usually the traffic does flow on I -15 fairly well at 80 mph with no problems. To date, 80 mph alone, has not been responsible for any accidents in either UT or ID. Usually, it's inantentive driving, or weather with inantentive driving along with driving too fast for conditions.

Now, it's getting use to drivers passing at 90 mph. Those are always drivers from UT and ID. Trucks are starting to go 80, breaking the truck speed limits, including on the Malad Summit ( highest peak during the trip). The challenges come when Calif. drivers would get in the left lane and attempt to psss. I remember having to slow down to 60 so a car from CA would pass and I could move over to the left lane. WA drivers often like to drive in the left lane regardless of their speed. But perhaps the most dangerous of all was an AZ driver who missed an exit for Brigham City. Instead of just exiting about four more miles down the road, this driver turned from the LEFT lane to get to the exit he had missed.

How there wasn't a pile up or chain reaction of crashes IDK. I was about four cars back in solid traffic. Everyone slammed on their breaks and the AZ driver did kind of a semi U Turn in front of all of us so he ended up behind the sign and the exit. I wasn't happy to see the lone highway patrolman parked about two miles away. Many of us could have been seriously injured.

Tourism was up at Yellowstone National Park 33% for the first two months it was open (17% increase overall). So what we have seen more than ever before are exactly what you describe above. Some use to driving the higher speed limits seemed to go a bit faster. Those especially from CA, WA and more eastern and southern states tended to go slower. Very honestly, it was dangerous to be driving with those drivers so I stopped for a while. The increased traffic, mostly not use to 80 mph., along with semis and the camp trailers or boats being towed have made some days much more dangerous to drive, IMO.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or