Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times

Advertisements

I know, kind of a confusing question. But what city do you think is the marker of a new region (North East, Mid Atlantic, South). For me I would say Atlanta to Richmond is the South (Florida is a completely different monster), Richmond to NYC is the mid Atlantic, and NYC to Boston is the North East. Anyone disagree with this & think these regions have different starting points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
I'd say Richmond to Jacksonville or Orlando is the South. New Haven on up is New England.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say Richmond to Jacksonville or Orlando is the South. New Haven on up is New England.
With Richmond to New Haven as the Mid Atlantic?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times
New Haven is NE or New England

Old 02-17-2015, 07:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
With Richmond to New Haven as the Mid Atlantic?
I'm tempted to think of Richmond to Philly as the mid-Atlantic; although NYC is technically part of that region, it seems that in popular usage today, it mainly refers to the northern part of VA, DC, MD, DE, southeastern PA, and southern NJ.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
This is just another way to ask "are Maryland and Delaware northern, southern, or neither?" and I predict if this thread picks up it will turn into that.

Also - I live in a Northeastern state, but not by your definition. Mid-Atlantic states can also be classified as Northeastern or Southern. The Census definition (but who cares about that right?!) defines the Mid-Atlantic as NY, NJ, and PA and New England as the obvious New England states, and those two regions together make up the Northeast.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is just another way to ask "are Maryland and Delaware northern, southern, or neither?" and I predict if this thread picks up it will turn into that.

Also - I live in a Northeastern state, but not by your definition. Mid-Atlantic states can also be classified as Northeastern or Southern. The Census definition (but who cares about that right?!) defines the Mid-Atlantic as NY, NJ, and PA and New England as the obvious New England states, and those two regions together make up the Northeast.
historically, New Jersey & New York have been considered mid atlantic. I personally think that NYC is half north eastern & half mid atlantic. Because you can't exactly say Philly is the border between North East & Mid Atlantic hen Pennsylvania is a pretty clear Mid Atlantic state

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
historically, New Jersey & New York have been considered mid atlantic. I personally think that NYC is half north eastern & half mid atlantic. Because you can't exactly say Philly is the border between North East & Mid Atlantic hen Pennsylvania is a pretty clear Mid Atlantic state
… Sorry, but New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are all Northeastern states. They can also be called Mid-Atlantic if you want, but they are uncontested Northeastern. Mid-Atlantic is like a weird area that blends Northeast and South. It is not its own region independent of others.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
… Sorry, but New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are all Northeastern states. They can also be called Mid-Atlantic if you want, but they are uncontested Northeastern. Mid-Atlantic is like a weird area that blends Northeast and South. It is not its own region independent of others.
According to Wikipedia, the main mid atlantic states are northern Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, & New Jersey, but they don't include NY

Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Philly to Boston is the northeast

Northern Virginia to Baltimore is the Middle Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.