Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:47 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
It is when the whole region is behind a single state and doesn't border other areas.
Except that little old 800 mile border with a foreign country thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,548,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Except that little old 800 mile border with a foreign country thing.
The Quebec border of which is sparsely populated with most of the population of New England living along I-95 and New Brunswick has a smaller population then Maine. it's still extremely isolated from the rest of the United States being that is entirely behind the state of New York.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:57 AM

18 posts, read 17,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Can't we talk about something else? This arguement is getting repetitive and boring.
Absolutely, as the conversation with CWA stands, it seems pointless.

Taking the northeast out of the equation, there are striking similarities and differences to be found everywhere in the US. Sure, the south and the northwest are very different, but I don't think anyone would argue that either feels "less American". Whether you are in Seattle or Mobile, AL, you can tell you are in the US.

Part of what makes this country great, is that we are all different, but not all that different at the same time. My wife and I took our honeymoon in Chicago. We are both born and raised in the south, (AL, NC, and TN) yet everything in Chicago, (other than the transportation and accents), was very familiar. It was the same when we went to Denver. They are three completely different areas and regions, but they all felt very similar. Were there differences? You bet there were, but at the same time, they weren't all that different. Confusing, I know.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
But coming from the south, would it you find Seattle familiar but Vancouver not familiar?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,548,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileBayBlues View Post
Absolutely, as the conversation with CWA stands, it seems pointless.
Yes because the arguments for PA being like Massachusetts and New England were so detailed and enlightening.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:46 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,927,752 times
Quote:
But coming from the south, would it you find Seattle familiar but Vancouver not familiar?
They wouldn't find Vancouver's potato chip scene familiar.

All kidding aside, I'd argue in a lot of ways yes. You'd still be able to use the same money, many people in the South have the same accent as Seattleites, Washington state and the South both agree on guns and a lot of politics that Canadians wouldn't. Seattle and someone from the South would have a lot in common on virtue of both being Americans.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:43 PM

27,258 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Quote:
Moving on… when I visited Victoria, BC I met a guy who lived in Boston for a few years and said he find that different from home. There's plenty of cultural differences you can find but for everyday life he didn't find them that big. Might depend on social circles.
I find the cultural differences between English-speaking Canada and the United States to be minimal. It is basically the same shared heritage, except probably for sports overall.

Nobody can tell the difference between a Canadian and an American when they're traveling overseas.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I find the cultural differences between English-speaking Canada and the United States to be minimal.

It is basically the same shared heritage, except probably for sports overall.
Indeed. There are minor cultural differences, but overall I'd say that Anglo-Canada is closer culturally speaking to the Northern U.S. than the Northern U.S. is to the Southern U.S. Which makes sense, because the original Anglo-Canadian stock was in large part American, considering:

1. The Maritimes were settled by the same Yankee stock that New England was.
2. Loyalists who fled the U.S. after it successfully won independence mostly settled in New Brunswick or modern-day Ontario.
3. Further groups of Yankees settled in the "Eastern Townships" area of Quebec, which was for a time English Speaking. They too moved to Ontario and points west later on.
4. The Oregon Country, when it was originally settled, was a free-for-all between the UK, Canada, and the U.S. In what is now British Columbia, there were many Americans, and purportedly more people supported joining the U.S. than Canada (although an even greater number wanted to remain a separate British colony).

The bottom line is that most old-stock Canadians probably have some "American" ancestry in their family tree.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,883,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
What ever your political stance on things is, that only represents a small % of the overall culture. The culture is way more of what you do with your life, what are the common activities a lot of people identify with. For example, In Saskatchewan curling is a really big thing. Even the schools take the kids curling. Do they curl in Minnesota? They sure as heck don't in New Mexico. Some places have big time hunting sub culture. It seemed to me that in South Dakota, most guys hunt. Not so much in New Jersey. West Virginia has the most unique cultural feeling I have come across in the USA. It's just really different than other places.
Agreed. Western PA (except the city of Pittsburgh) has a huge hunting subculture. Schools in SW PA and WV have off the first day of deer hunting. I've never been to South Dakota, so I'm not sure but sounds like SD and PA/WV have a big common bond there.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,529,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Agreed. Western PA (except the city of Pittsburgh) has a huge hunting subculture. Schools in SW PA and WV have off the first day of deer hunting. I've never been to South Dakota, so I'm not sure but sounds like SD and PA/WV have a big common bond there.
Yes, hunting is huge here, especially pheasant hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.