Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Best Describes Where You Currently Live
Rural 17 14.91%
Urban 37 32.46%
Suburban 47 41.23%
Small Town 13 11.40%
Other (Please Specify Below) 1 0.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times

Advertisements

We live on five acres at the end of the road in the Sierra foothills. The property is folded between a 300 acre cattle ranch in front of us and a vineyard behind. As I write this, the storm clouds are rolling in from the Valley below and the deer in the yard are looking for a place to bed down out of the wind. We are on a hill-top so I can see 100 miles to the mountains just above
Yosemite, but I can't see any mass transit from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Live east of Phoenix (as the crow flies some 50+miles). A little over an acre. Home when completed will be a little over 4000 sq ft. At the base of a Mountain (Superstition). Surrounded by large Sahuaro cactus. I drive some 40 miles each way to my office. But, when home, there is no traffic noise of any kind. No city lights to interfere with our view of the stars. No noise from neighbors.

Utopia!
You really had me until you mentioned your 80-mile roundtrip commute. How about telecommuting?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You really had me until you mentioned your 80-mile roundtrip commute. How about telecommuting?
Nah - won't work

I don't mind the commute - some days I take the car - some days the bike -

Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Live in a huge log cabin home on 5 1/2 acres in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in southeastern Ohio, about half way up the mountain, live in the smallest county in Ohio, with a population of just a little over 14,000, there are more horses and cattle up here than there are people, and I'm so far up in here I get Monday's newspaper on Tuesday, but I wouldn't trade it for anything, moved up here from Metropolitan Washington, DC to get away from all the noise, polluted air, and traffic.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm not quite sure how to categorize where I am. I said small town, but I think I'm a mix of suburban/on the fringes of small town. 17,000 people, but spread out over 40+ sq miles. We've got farms, mansions, only 3 stoplights, no grocery stores, but close to the extreme density that is Northern NJ.

Put it this way - for northern NJ it's small town, for just about anywhere else it would be considered suburban.
You just described "exurban" pretty well actually. I was actually going to include an "exurb" category, but I didn't think many non-urban planning nuts like myself would know the difference between an exurb and a suburb. Exurban is like the outermost fringe of a suburban area. A good example you might be familiar with would be Monroe County, PA (Stroudsburg/Mt. Pocono) being an exurb of New York City/North Jersey. An exurb still has a lot of developable land available whereas most suburbs are beginning to "fill up." Exurbs tend to have larger homes with larger lots sizes whereas most suburbs have relatively-large homes on smaller lots (McMansions if you will). Exurbs overall, in my humble opinion, will become obsolete in the coming years unless gas prices stop increasing or mass transit options are developed to link these areas to the city cores or at least to the suburbs so exurbanites can drive into the suburbs and then hop a train the rest of the way into the city. I shudder to think about how much all of those Stroudsburg-NYC commuters spend weekly on gas to fill their SUVs! I complain now about gas prices, and my commutes to school are only about 15 minutes and my commutes to work are only about 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Definitely suburban here. You should have included an Exurb category, lots of people making that type of decision these days.
In hindsight more people might know the difference between "exurb" and "suburb" than I thought, and I am regretting not adding it as an option. As I said earlier though I think exurbs will wane in popularity unless something is done to either mitigate soaring gas prices or to encourage more mass transit options.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
There are those who will do whatever it takes to live in their "special place"

I posted an article in the Arizona area about 42,000+ who commute, daily, from Tucson area to the Phoenix area for work. The article highlighted a man who drove 135 miles, each way, every day.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There are those who will do whatever it takes to live in their "special place"

I posted an article in the Arizona area about 42,000+ who commute, daily, from Tucson area to the Phoenix area for work. The article highlighted a man who drove 135 miles, each way, every day.
There are folks here who commute daily from Tobyhanna, PA to New York City for a distance each way of 97 miles or about two hours. Round-trip that is 194 miles and four hours (or more considering congestion, accidents, etc.) How people can put their children through such hell of never seeing their parents is beyond me, but even as I type this people are starting to move further from NYC! I'll live to see the day when folks ride a train daily from Scranton, PA (241 miles and 4.5 hours round-trip) to NYC! It's amazing what great lengths folks will go to in order to find affordable housing, safe streets, good schools, etc. Ideally Northeastern Pennsylvania could attract positions other than forklift operators, telemarketers, and plasma donors, but until that time we're going to continue to develop into a bedroom community of New York City.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
I'm living in the sprawling suburbia of Orange County in Mission Viejo. Its got 100,000 people so it isn't small town living though. Good safe place to raise kids and have a family.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Papillion, Nebraska: It was a small town, but the Omaha metro area grew to it over the years, so now folks not familiar with it say its a suburb. Those in the town or that know the history still generally say small town.

City of Papillion was named as the 6th Best Place in the US to Live in 2007 by CNN/Money Magazine, so I guess even the national magazine sees it as a unique town with an identity seperate from the Metro area.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:55 PM

278 posts, read 910,426 times
I live off of the St Johns River on a beautiful piece of property with a pond and citrus trees. We can't really see our neighbors....which is wonderful . We also can't see the Comcast truck or Pizza delivery . It's a fair enough swap. The 40 min commute to work is fine also. It's my personal quiet time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.