Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
According to Wikipedia, the main mid atlantic states are northern Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, & New Jersey, but they don't include NY
The term Mid-Atlantic has been moving south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:54 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly to Boston is the northeast

Northern Virginia to Baltimore is the Middle Atlantic
You do realize Northern virginia to baltimore is less than 50 miles, right? that is more of an area than a region

Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The term Mid-Atlantic has been moving south.
While states like NY & Connecticut (which use to be considered Mid Atlantic) are now considered North East

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
According to Wikipedia, the main mid atlantic states are northern Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, & New Jersey, but they don't include NY
But again - according to the Census the Mid-Atlantic is only NY, NJ, and PA and is part of the larger Northeast along with New England.

There are many ways to define Mid-Atlantic. Some definitions put it as far south as North Carolina and as far west as West Virginia. Some don't include NY, NJ, or PA at all and put it as DE/MD down to NC or even just to VA. And people on city-data define regions however they want, which is why I take what people say here with a grain of salt.

You (collective you, not literally you) can try to tell me all you want that my state is not Northeastern… but it is. It just is. Sorry if you don't feel it is, or you don't want it to be… but it is.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Let's take a ride down I-95....

I think New Haven is where New England begins once you get past the I-95/I-91 interchange heading north.

Heading south on I-95, Fairfield County, CT/ Westchester/NYC/Long Island/North Jersey to me is the Tri-State area which is really its own entity as a region.

I feel I've really transitioned into the Mid Atlantic at the Delaware Bridge.

The South starts getting palpable transitions around Petersburg, VA.

Heading much further South on I-95 right around Jupiter, FL seems to be a noticeable transition into South Florida, which to me is also an entirely different entity.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-17-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But again - according to the Census the Mid-Atlantic is only NY, NJ, and PA and is part of the larger Northeast along with New England.

There are many ways to define Mid-Atlantic. Some definitions put it as far south as North Carolina and as far west as West Virginia. Some don't include NY, NJ, or PA at all and put it as DE/MD down to NC or even just to VA. And people on city-data define regions however they want, which is why I take what people say here with a grain of salt.

You (collective you, not literally you) can try to tell me all you want that my state is not Northeastern… but it is. It just is. Sorry if you don't feel it is, or you don't want it to be… but it is.
You can't say that it is all opinion & everyone has different boundary lines, but that in the end your opinion is right haha. I like what the other poster said, what is considered to be midatlantic continues to move south. VA never used to be considered mid atlantic until the last 20-30 years. New York was always considered to be mid atlantic until the last 40 or so years. No one I know from Jersey says they are not easterners, & I think my Bostonian friends would laugh if they heard a Jersey person say that

Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Quote:
You do realize Northern virginia to baltimore is less than 50 miles, right? that is more of an area than a region
Ok to be more specific,
Richmond Virginia to Baltimore is the mid atlantic
Philly to Boston is the northeast

Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
You can't say that it is all opinion & everyone has different boundary lines, but that in the end your opinion is right haha. I like what the other poster said, what is considered to be midatlantic continues to move south. VA never used to be considered mid atlantic until the last 20-30 years. New York was always considered to be mid atlantic until the last 40 or so years. No one I know from Jersey says they are not easterners, & I think my Bostonian friends would laugh if they heard a Jersey person say that
"New Jersey is Northeastern" is not an opinion. Definitions on Mid-Atlantic are usually opinions because they are ever-changing and contested, unless you want to follow the Census's definition but who wants to do that?

Did you mean to say "not easterners" or "northeasterners"? If it was supposed to say "northeasterners," you're lying because people from NJ consider ourselves to be from a Northeastern state and if a Bostonian laughs at that, well that would be their problem.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

The Census definition is probably the historic definition. We have talked about this on other threads and I have found evidence that even in the later 1800s, even Maryland was usually not considered Mid-Atlantic or Northeast. Maryland was still southern.

But times change. At some point, people in Maryland began to identify more with their northern Mid-Atlantic neighbors then their traditional Southern neighbors. After that came transplants moving into Virginia. Maybe next it will be North Carolina.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Default Taking a ride down I-95

New Haven is where New England begins once you get past the I-95/I-91 interchange heading north.

Heading south on I-95, Fairfield County/Westchester/NYC/Long Island/North Jersey to me is the Tri-State area which is really its own entity as a region.

I feel I've really transitioned into the Mid Atlantic at the Delaware Bridge.

The South starts getting palpable transitions around Petersburg, VA.

Heading much further south on I-95 right around Jupiter, FL seems to be a noticeable transition into South Florida, which to me is also an entirely different entity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.