Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Atlanta
I was born and raised in Atlanta and lived their for 19 years. I am pretty much looking for the opposite of Atl. While I don't dislike Atl, I still visit family 2-3 times a year, it is not a place id like to live long term and raise a family.

As far as the other cities recommended, thanks alot everyone. I wont be moving for a while (still have two years of college in Rochester) just trying to get some good ideas of places to look for jobs when it comes closer to that time as nep321 suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hey everyone,

What cities come to mind following these three simple criteria...

1.) Low cost of living- Either around the average or below the national average. (so no NYC's or San Fran's)

2.) Good/steady economy and job market- I know a lot of this can depend on a certain field but lets just say in general or overall.

3.) Located in either the Midwest, Northeast, or Mid-Atlantic - Use your best judgement on defining these boundaries. Obviously no Portland or Austin.

Not really worried about things like safety, entertainment, outdoor activities, schools, etc because most of those things can be found in any city in America. Thanks!
I would focus on mid-sized metros with consistent/growing economies and a well-regarded standard of living.
Check out places like Durham-Chapel Hill NC, Charlottesville VA, Richmond VA or Greenville-Spartanburg SC if you can extend your boundaries a bit further south.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM

I think right now in no particular order I am leaning toward Rochester (current city), Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Richmond. How would you all rank these based on my criteria? No need to include the weather. I'm pretty familiar with the weather in these areas.

I guess another criteria to consider would be if the city is within a days drive of both Atlanta and Northern NY being that my family is located in Atlanta and the wife's family NNY, specifically between Watertown and Syracuse. Pretty much all the cities I listed are within that range except for maybe Rochester. I know flying is an option but with a family of 5, myself, wife, and three kids it would cost an arm and a leg.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:26 AM

170 posts, read 235,191 times
Will you be renting or buying? I've recently visited Pittsburgh as I thought I would be moving there. I found that the COL in Pittsburgh for a renter was shockingly high. No, not high like NYC or SF or anything like that. Just very high compared to what I expected. I had reams of research printed out in a binder so it's not like I went in blind or anything. Rental prices listed on craigslist was often false or a 'special' that lasted for the span of about five minutes. Utilities were higher than I expected, though admittedly I was working with outdated information. Groceries and fuel is generally higher than other comparably sized cities.

I may still move to Pittsburgh, but I was definitely disappointed. If you will be a homebuyer, the outlook is a lot more favorable.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I think right now in no particular order I am leaning toward Rochester (current city), Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Richmond. How would you all rank these based on my criteria? No need to include the weather. I'm pretty familiar with the weather in these areas.

I guess another criteria to consider would be if the city is within a days drive of both Atlanta and Northern NY being that my family is located in Atlanta and the wife's family NNY, specifically between Watertown and Syracuse. Pretty much all the cities I listed are within that range except for maybe Rochester. I know flying is an option but with a family of 5, myself, wife, and three kids it would cost an arm and a leg.
With that in mind, I'd probably focus on cities like Richmond or Norfolk first and foremost. If you're willing to go just a little south of there, also check out the Triad area of NC (Winston-Salem and Greensboro). You may also want to consider Louisville and Lexington.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
With that in mind, I'd probably focus on cities like Richmond or Norfolk first and foremost. If you're willing to go just a little south of there, also check out the Triad area of NC (Winston-Salem and Greensboro). You may also want to consider Louisville and Lexington.
I agree regarding Greensboro-Winston Salem which is way overlooked in favor of Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte. They're beautiful cities with a lot to offer and a cost of living that's very attractive relative to salaries.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I have considered Louisville as well.

While I have never been to the Triad area of NC (only driven through) it felt a lot like Charlotte/Rock Hill and Raleigh area which I have been to a number of times. Don't get me wrong it seemed like a nice place but everything seemed to have a very "new" strip mall, sprawled out, suburban feel to it, which really turns me away. I guess I like an older more historic feel with a center city compared to some of the NC cities. I may have just been in the wrong areas but that is just sort of my overall impression. Would I move there for a good job opportunity? Absolutely, but I feel it lacks my style of city. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
Will you be renting or buying? I've recently visited Pittsburgh as I thought I would be moving there. I found that the COL in Pittsburgh for a renter was shockingly high. No, not high like NYC or SF or anything like that. Just very high compared to what I expected. I had reams of research printed out in a binder so it's not like I went in blind or anything. Rental prices listed on craigslist was often false or a 'special' that lasted for the span of about five minutes. Utilities were higher than I expected, though admittedly I was working with outdated information. Groceries and fuel is generally higher than other comparably sized cities.

I may still move to Pittsburgh, but I was definitely disappointed. If you will be a homebuyer, the outlook is a lot more favorable.
Thanks for that info. I will hopefully be buying a home. If not right away, hopefully only renting for a short time.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:31 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
If you could find a job in Cincinnati it is very affordable. I particularly like the NKY towns as they are very walkable, cheap and right next to Dtown Cincy.

Very good architecture that feels northern.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
I have considered Louisville as well.

While I have never been to the Triad area of NC (only driven through) it felt a lot like Charlotte/Rock Hill and Raleigh area which I have been to a number of times. Don't get me wrong it seemed like a nice place but everything seemed to have a very "new" strip mall, sprawled out, suburban feel to it, which really turns me away. I guess I like an older more historic feel with a center city compared to some of the NC cities. I may have just been in the wrong areas but that is just sort of my overall impression. Would I move there for a good job opportunity? Absolutely, but I feel it lacks my style of city. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Check out Winston-Salem. It sounds like it would be a good match for you.

They have successfully transitioned from an industrial economy to eds/meds/tech. Beautiful Downtown, amazing historic districts and a great quality of life.

http://www.oldsalem.org/

http://www.reynoldavillage.com/?ocmx...rical-district

http://www.dwsp.org/joom/index.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.