Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times

Advertisements

Yeah; to me that shows a general lack of maturity and intelligence and I'm just not going to take what the person says seriously. Maybe that means I'm uptight but I feel like the ability to utilize 2nd grade grammar skills are an important gauge of a person's credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:50 PM

148 posts, read 228,520 times
Im doing the same thing. I've got just under $10k saved and am moving out of the Northeast entirely. Only place id consider moving to in the Northeast is just Philadelphia. Its the best bang for your buck in the US given the amenities in and around.

Lived in Upstate NY, NYC, and NJ pretty much all my life with a short stint in MI for a semester.

Done with the cold.

Seriously, **** Upstate NY. Its a youth killer. No jobs and abysmal climate. This place should just be a ski resort.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Where someone lives or chooses to live depends upon his or her stage of life. When I moved from Chicago to Portland 36 years ago I was working and although I didn't mind living in cold weather I did not like having to commute to my job in it. Standing on windy street corners waiting for buses and El trains became extremely tedious.

I was able to obtain a job transfer to Portland and it was wonderful. Portland was wonderful back in the late 70's. But times and places change. I am retired now living on a fixed income. As mentioned, I can no longer afford Portland which is nothing like it was when I first moved there either in cost or character.

The Great Lakes Region or the Mid West called to me because although I would be coming back to the cold, I knew I would no longer have to deal with it on a daily basis. I do, of course, still have to go out in it from time to time. I don't drive so I have to take buses and walk to the grocery store but that's only when needed. I can also wait until there is a break in the weather even a small one to go out to do my errands. The rest of the time I can stay home nice and warm with hot chocolate, videos or a book and my cat. And of course, the Internet.

The point is, the place where I was living no longer suited my needs twice in my life and twice I fixed that problem by relocating to one that did. Both times it was the right decision. For me, it was a better decision to move to a more suitable place than to make do where I was. It might not be the answer for everyone because everyone's situation is different but it's certainly worth a lot of thought.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
its not so bad living in the same city your whole life, i like to leave and go to the dessert or go up to seattle or down to southern oregon or northern cali. i want to go to vancouver bc some day

Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Agreed! When I moved from Tampa to LA, I had 17k. But I was being extremely risk averse, and I found a job the same week I got there. It'll work out. But you definitely need around 10k at least. Some people try to move with 5 grand or less, and well they crash and burn. You just have to be smart about it.
I moved to Portland with 4k and I was just fine. For some people saving up 10k is impossible.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In my opinion, I would never move anywhere with no job lined up without having at least about $30K minimum. Fortunately, when I move in three months, I will have about $75K saved up. That should last me at least 2 years. Hopefully I'll get a job within 6 months though.
2 years?!?! woah, I could live off 75K for 4 years, no problem.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I know a guy who moved to Miami and a seagull dropped a coconut on his head and he died but not before being hooked up for weeks to a giant money sucking machine in the hospital and his family lost everything they owned.

sometimes you should just stay put and not tempt fate.
are you kidding?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:54 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I moved to Portland with 4k and I was just fine. For some people saving up 10k is impossible.
Awesome! I like to hear stories like that. Did you do that without a job?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I moved to Chicago right out of college with $5K and not knowing anyone or anything. I did perfectly fine right off the bat. Got a $10 an hour job right away, found a full time $35K a year job 6 months after, and now a decade later making six figures and in a $600K house right off the lake on the north side. Just be rational about it and have a plan.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Just live off your Apple stock forever it made me a thousand aire lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.