U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:13 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,508,871 times

Advertisements

Have I missed any (U.S.) cities that meet these criteria?

I seem to do somewhat better in cold weather, and perhaps snowy weather, during the winter; but from what I've seen, places that fit that description, that are not at high elevations, also get humid enough during the rest of the year that outdoor mold could be an issue (a problem for me, given my particular allergies).

I just seem to need a type of place that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 03:16 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,644,833 times
coastal Maine, average is mid 70s in the summer. Even if it's humid, it won't feel muggy because of the coolness of the air. Another choice is to move to Anchorage, Alaska.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 PM

219 posts, read 416,970 times
Mold definitely will be an issue in Maine, especially in and around Portland and that proximity can be real humid during summer.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 PM

58,711 posts, read 83,307,494 times
You may have to adjust the criteria a little bit.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:45 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,780,604 times
Yeah, you're going to have to compromise on one of those things.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,580,797 times
I'd guess that your best bet is Pullman-Moscow. These twin towns, straddling the Washington-Idaho border, sit at an elevation of 2,300 feet. You're looking at an average high of 35 and seven inches of snow in January, and an average high of 82 and .7 inches of rain in July.

The Pullman-Moscow area is 70 miles south of Spokane and has a population of around 92,000.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:30 PM

7,839 posts, read 9,687,250 times
Most of the US has some humidity, although as one poster put it, some parts of coastal Maine might fit your criteria..

With a little more thought, Minneapolis might work as well, although there will be SOME humidity there in summer, but less than the East Coast..

Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 PM

Pullman is a city I have thought about off and on. Maybe I should dig out my notes about it and take another look. I think Boise would probably be a decent approximation. I am not sure either are at a low enough elevation to make a difference, but I may be visiting Boise in the next year and a half.

I'm pretty sure I've found a risky mix of humidity and temperature (from the point of view of airborne mold) in the other suggestions (even Anchorage).

Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 PM

542 posts, read 1,434,067 times
Las Vegas fits your description.

In the winter, temps average high 50's during the day and low 30's at nighttime. In the summer it gets hot but certainly not humid.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Las Vegas fits your description.

In the winter, temps average high 50's during the day and low 30's at nighttime. In the summer it gets hot but certainly not humid.
That's not all that cool, but it might work. I have a sort of mental block about Las Vegas because I canceled an interview I had lined up there (back when I had moved to Albuquerque and was still job hunting) and now I wish I had gone to it and checked out the city. I got cold feet about Las Vegas for various reasons. Partly I was concerned it would be too dry, drier than necessary. (I need a place dry enough for mold airborne mold to only be a marginal issue, but no drier, since dryness is bad in its own way for my sinuses.) Additionally, I'd be very frustrated living there, I think, since so many of the night life options would be beyond my grasp thanks to second hand cigarette smoke. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of Vegas: it seems more artificial than Albuquerque which has more of a history of sustaining human life, I think. That's probably arbitrary considering how much a desert city of 500,000 depends on technology to be viable.

Maybe it would be a good fit. I don't know. I have planned on visiting Phoenix (not that it fits the cold winter requirement) and Boise, to see if I feel better in either of them than I do in Albuquerque, but maybe I should try Las Vegas instead of Phoenix. Hmmm. Unfortunately, I don't have much money to play with and can't do any of this until I've gotten my credit card debt down a bit (after throwing money away on wild things like sinus surgery, allergy treatments--my deductible has gone up a lot in the past year, acupuncture, etc.).

I wish I'd gone to that damn interview. I think I had a real shot at the job too, since my experience was a good fit for it, without going into the details.

To follow up: I've checked Pullman's mold counts in the past, and at times they were too high for me to be comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or