Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times

Advertisements

Actually, regarding 'poor White areas' of Metro Detroit. In mid-century demographics, those were considered to be populated by Southern Whites which were distinctly different from European immigrant groups. I just thought that was interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM

312 posts, read 481,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
South Warren and Hazel Park are predominately Black now? I think they have substantial Black populations, but I don't know about being mostly Black.

Wyandotte was another area where Polish people went to as well. Our Polish Story
Warren below 696 is mostly black and old or poor white people who couldn't leave and Hazeltucky seems like you only see black folks driving around. The "8 mile line" between black and white only exists at Ferndale, on the east side 696 is the new border.

Something you have to know about Metro Detroit, even today is there is no such thing as a "diverse area".
Yes the area might be demographically diverse but it never stays that way, once any town in the area hits 15-20% black, it is destined to become completely/mostly black within ten years or less.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times
i kno someone mentioned Louisville and Indianapolis earlier....both cities have lots of poor white neighborhoods....Indy they live throughout the south side and in Louisville, theyre heavily concentrated in Valley Station, fairdale (which feels like a country town deeper into kentucky).....even though shively is predominantly black theres a significant white minority and theyre just as broke as the black people......in the west end theres a poor white area known as Portland. looks exactly like the rest of west end (which is the worst part of louisville) except its all rednecks instead of black people...

Old 02-27-2015, 01:59 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Warren below 696 is mostly black and old or poor white people who couldn't leave and Hazeltucky seems like you only see black folks driving around. The "8 mile line" between black and white only exists at Ferndale, on the east side 696 is the new border.

Something you have to know about Metro Detroit, even today is there is no such thing as a "diverse area".
Yes the area might be demographically diverse but it never stays that way, once any town in the area hits 15-20% black, it is destined to become completely/mostly black within ten years or less.
No it isn't. in that area of Warren, the census tracts range from roughly 8.8-35.6% Black, with many in the 10-15% range.

Also, parts of the Oakland and Macomb County communities just north of Detroit have diverse areas, as well as select areas within the city like SW Detroit and parts of other communities in Wayne County.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No it isn't. in that area of Warren, the census tracts range from roughly 8.8-35.6% Black, with many in the 10-15% range.

Also, parts of the Oakland and Macomb County communities just north of Detroit have diverse areas, as well as select areas within the city like SW Detroit and parts of other communities in Wayne County.
Which Oakland and Wayne County communities?

Eastpointe? Harper Woods?
Next census they will be over 70% black guaranteed.

There are definitely black people all over Detroit metro, but in Birmingham or Novi or Sterling Heights they are small in number. It is an oft-proven rule that any metro Detroit community that hits 20% is destined to become majority black. This is slowed in areas with a dividing line. For instance Warren below 696 might as well be a different town than north Warren up by 14 mile, which is basically more like Sterling Heights.

Those census tracts are 5 years old. You're going by census tracts, have you ever been to Detroit?

I was there recently.
Drive around 9 mile and Van Dyke, in 2015 you won't see many white faces outside of mobile home parks

And in Detroit my experience is that outside of trendy areas and Mexican town (which is...Mexicans) the white people left are people who actually couldn't leave because they have no money and/or are addicts. Those areas with a mix of people in Detroit city are not peaceful communities of coexistence, they are black people and resentful whites who got "left behind"

Old 02-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Which Oakland and Wayne County communities?

Eastpointe? Harper Woods?
Next census they will be over 70% black guaranteed.

There are definitely black people all over Detroit metro, but in Birmingham or Novi or Sterling Heights they are small in number. It is an oft-proven rule that any metro Detroit community that hits 20% is destined to become majority black. This is slowed in areas with a dividing line. For instance Warren below 696 might as well be a different town than north Warren up by 14 mile, which is basically more like Sterling Heights.

Those census tracts are 5 years old. You're going by census tracts, have you ever been to Detroit?

I was there recently.
Drive around 9 mile and Van Dyke, in 2015 you won't see many white faces outside of mobile home parks

And in Detroit my experience is that outside of trendy areas and Mexican town (which is...Mexicans) the white people left are people who actually couldn't leave because they have no money and/or are addicts. Those areas with a mix of people in Detroit city are not peaceful communities of coexistence, they are black people and resentful whites who got "left behind"
You may get people coming over 8 Mile, but that area isn't mostly Black in terms of residents. Warren is about 15% Black. Look at Farmington/Farmington Hills, Oak Park, parts of Royal Oak, Ferndale, Southfield, Lathrup Village, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Livonia, Westland, Wayne, etc.

I guess you haven't been to Indian Village, the University District, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest and East English Village, among a few others.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Well I'm sure there are plenty of people of polish descent in metro Detroit, never disputed that. I meant that Hamtramck used to be the landing ground for polish immigrants, now not so much. The reason an area stays "ethnic" is because immigrants keep coming. Lots of polskis come to America but they go to Ridgewood or Maspeth in Queens or to NW Chicago I'm imagining. So what I'm saying is that the Poles are a dying breed in Hamtramck because once they die and their kids move out, they will likely be replaced by non-Poles.

As for Wyandotte I wouldn't call it a white ghetto at all, Taylor is a white ghetto, south warren was a white ghetto (now it's a black ghetto) Hazel Park was a white ghetto (same deal as warren) but Wyandotte is just a lower middle class predominantly white suburb. It's very nice and cheap, and nicer than all of the surrounding towns like Trenton and Gibraltar and Southgate etc

Yes I am very familiar with metro Detroit.
Isn't Eminem from Warren, MI. That guy is my hero, he survived in the ghetto and came out alive.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM

I
Quote:
You may get people coming over 8 Mile, but that area isn't mostly Black in terms of residents. Warren is about 15% Black. Look at Farmington/Farmington Hills, Oak Park, parts of Royal Oak, Ferndale, Southfield, Lathrup Village, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Livonia, Westland, Wayne, etc.

I guess you haven't been to Indian Village, the University District, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest and East English Village, among a few others.
Of those towns, the only ones that border 8 mile and aren't black are Ferndale. Southfield is mostly black and parts of Westland are turning black.

And besides driving though no I havent, but these are small neighborhoods with decent homes and exceptions to the rule. I think Indian village has a substantial white population but Indian Village the actual area is very small, the census tract is bigger.

Warren was 15% black in 2010, I will wager to say that in 2020 it is 1/3 black all below 696.

Most of those places you listed don't border Detroit.

Have you actually been to Detroit for any amount of time in recent years? Because it seems like you're regurgitating old census data and articles from Wikipedia..in that area, neighborhoods change very quickly. Which is why I would never purchase property unless it was in Birmingham or somewhere really rich, areas turn very very quickly.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Isn't Eminem from Warren, MI. That guy is my hero, he survived in the ghetto and came out alive.
He lived all over. He used to live on the east side of Detroit on Dresden and State Fair, the area is called Osborn and its a hell hole.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I

Of those towns, the only ones that border 8 mile and aren't black are Ferndale. Southfield is mostly black and parts of Westland are turning black.

And besides driving though no I havent, but these are small neighborhoods with decent homes and exceptions to the rule. I think Indian village has a substantial white population but Indian Village the actual area is very small, the census tract is bigger.

Warren was 15% black in 2010, I will wager to say that in 2020 it is 1/3 black all below 696.

Most of those places you listed don't border Detroit.
Farmington Hills touches 8 Mile and isn't mostly Black. Same with Hazel Park.

Warren below 696 is maybe in the high teens-mid 20's in Black percentage. Here are some school demographics: Search For Schools and Colleges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.