Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenwmatt View Post
Anyone know of specific areas in Columbia that may be affordable and somewhat safe to live?
You'd get more detailed information on the Columbia forum, but this will depend on if you're looking to live intown or prefer a more suburban location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenwmatt View Post
I guess Jacksonville isn't "touristy", but compared to TN it is insanely different. The driver's drive insanely FAST, the beach and pier are crowded with tons of people some of which begged for money, and in general the area was saturated with expensive housing and hotels which we definitely cannot afford. I'm searching for cities with everything Jacksonville has except for all the crime, bad drivers, expensive housing, and out of state drivers everywhere. Jacksonville is a nice city, however, there is a ton of crime from what I can tell. It is a nice place to visit, but living so close to the beach would be outrageously expensive and relatively more dangerous compared to other southern cities. Thank you guys for replying to my post. I am definitely considering Columbia, SC because of its great walkability score, close proximity to the ocean, and smaller population. Anyone know of specific areas in Columbia that may be affordable and somewhat safe to live?

Well yeah it's different, it's a coastal city. Crime isn't bad and housing isn't expensive either. It will be more costly to live on the beach anywhere you go but I wouldn't call Jax expensive or dangerous.

You want suburban but you are concerned about walkability?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,438 times
Yes, I want to live where there are sidewalks and know that I'm not going to walk 7 miles or more to find basic necessities. Where I live there are no sidewalks in most places, besides downtown.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Durham/Chapel Hill, NC.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Jacksonville is touristy? Geeze. What do you define as gay friendly? I'm kweeah, lived in small town rural Texas and have experienced pretty much no homophobia there. Everyone in town knew I was gay and dating someone and there was no issue. It wasn't all gay parades and rainbow flags, but it was more "they're gay. Okay cool. Their life. Their business." And I like that. I prefer that then some overly politically correct place like in California. I do understand the need for more "gay options" though.

You can try Texas. Lots of places here would satisfy your needs. I personally don't like Austin but there's nice places nearby like Waco. If you want beach, Florida gulf coast is nice. Smaller towns will be less touristy but still have a tourist season. I'd avoid a lot of really small towns in the deep south, though. I've had no problem in small town Texas, but Texas is a southwestern state with southern hospitality and western spirit. Places in rural Mississippi or Alabama lack the western mentality of "to each their own" that I'm glad Texas has.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
It may be only in a small-to-medium sized metro area, but Bay St. Louis, Mississippi (Biloxi metro) is reportedly quite gay friendly, plus it's less than an hour from New Orleans. BSL certainly is one of the most liberal places in the state if your criteria is voting patterns (though probably only weakly liberal to centrist by national standards).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.