Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 10:53 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times

Advertisements

I saw a study recently that talked about the "reasons people move to a different region." I think "weather" was right around zero percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM

242 posts, read 242,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
especially coming from those who don't live in a colder climate that gets a true winter.
A New Jerseyan, talking about a "true winter", this is epic. You would think you live in Minnesota how you are talking!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
What is this, a bash winter weather fest?
Yup, read the OP. He is complaining about his suffering in the winter and a bunch of people show up to tell him "it's not bad, I made a snow angel yesterday and had a hot cup of chocolate".

Kind of insensitive if you ask me.

Then you have people like me who lived in cold climates, and know what is common sense, that 99% of people in those climates either hate winter or tolerate it, and when we say this, you take it personally. Why?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The only difference between a Buffalo winter and a Grand Rapids winter is the lack of complaining.
Bitching about the weather ad nauseum must be an interior Northeast thing (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, etc.) The municipal water supplies in upstate New York and western Pennsylvania ought to be fortified with Prozac if for no other reason than to shut people the **** up this time of the year.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
A New Jerseyan, talking about a "true winter", this is epic. You would think you live in Minnesota how you are talking!
Please get over yourself. We routinely get snow. We routinely get cold. We routinely get below freezing temps (hence the snow).

If my neighbors can build a backyard skating rink every year and it lasts through the winter, I think we get a true winter. If some guy in my town can build numerous snow sculptures every year for 18 years and makes the paper for it, I think we get a true winter.

I never claimed it was worse than other winters, actually I've said it's not. But it's a real winter.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Please get over yourself. We routinely get snow. We routinely get cold. We routinely get below freezing temps (hence the snow).

If my neighbors can build a backyard skating rink every year and it lasts through the winter, I think we get a true winter. If some guy in my town can build numerous snow sculptures every year for 18 years and makes the paper for it, I think we get a true winter.

I never claimed it was worse than other winters, actually I've said it's not. But it's a real winter.
Sorry, I am only making jokes on you.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
It's just personal preference. I agree long hot humid summers aren't my favorite, but I would choose them over long cold snowy winters. I really hope one day I can escape the cold for good. It's miserable for me.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
The thing that I find frustrating about threads like these is that winter tolerance is, to some extent, all about your mindset. How do I know? Because I used to hate winter. I would spend four months thinking about when it would end, thinking about warmer weather, dreaming of living someplace warm, trying to figure out a way to go south for a week.

But I like winter now. Did something magically change so that my body can handle low temps better? No. I just changed the way I look at things, changed the way I dress, and changed my behavior. Got some new hobbies. Learned to appreciate the natural beauty of winter. At this point, I can't imagine living somewhere without snow on the ground for most of the winter.

So when I hear someone say, "I hate winter, that's just the way I am," there is always a part of me that wants to argue with them, because I know from personal experience that liking/hating winter is not set in stone.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM

For Josh Blair - yes the snowfall is almost the same between Québec City and Syracuse. Some comparisons going southwards are here.

Québec, QC avg high/low in January - 17.8/0F
Montréal, QC - 22/10F
Portland, Maine - 31/13.5F
Syracuse, New York - 31.5/15.7F
Boston, Mass - 36/22F
Atlantic City, New Jersey - 42/29F
Philadelphia, Penn - 40.5/26F
Baltimore, Maryland - 42/29F
Washington, DC - 43/29F
Norfolk, Virginia - 48/33F
Charlotte, North Carolina - 50/30F
Charleston, South Carolina - 59/37.5F

January sunshine hours in Québec City: 99
January sunshine hours in Montréal: 99
January sunshine hours in Portland: 165
January sunshine hours in Syracuse: 103
January sunshine hours in Boston: 163
January sunshine hours in Atlantic City: 151
January sunshine hours in Philadelphia: 155
January sunshine hours in Baltimore: 155
January sunshine hours in Washington: 145
January sunshine hours in Virginia: 171
January sunshine hours in Charlotte 173
January sunshine hours in Charleston: 180

Québec City yearly snowfall: 119 inches,
Montréal yearly snowfall: 89 inches
Portland, Maine yearly snowfall: 62 inches
Syracuse, New York yearly snowfall: 123 inches
Boston, Mass yearly snowfall: 44 inches
Atlantic City, New Jersey yearly snowfall: 16 inches
Philadelphia, Penn yearly snowfall: 22 inches
Baltimore, Maryland yearly snowfall: 20 inches
Washington yearly snowfall: 15.5 inches
Norfolk, Virginia yearly snowfall: 6 inches
Charlotte, North Carolina yearly snowfall: 4 inches
Charleston, South Carolina: 0.5 inches

Last edited by Bonjour185; 03-04-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The thing that I find frustrating about threads like these is that winter tolerance is, to some extent, all about your mindset. How do I know? Because I used to hate winter. I would spend four months thinking about when it would end, thinking about warmer weather, dreaming of living someplace warm, trying to figure out a way to go south for a week.

But I like winter now. Did something magically change so that my body can handle low temps better? No. I just changed the way I look at things, changed the way I dress, and changed my behavior. Got some new hobbies. Learned to appreciate the natural beauty of winter. At this point, I can't imagine living somewhere without snow on the ground for most of the winter.

So when I hear someone say, "I hate winter, that's just the way I am," there is always a part of me that wants to argue with them, because I know from personal experience that liking/hating winter is not set in stone.
Maybe, but I think it would be natural to not like having your life threatened just to walk outside the door. A natural human habitat is probably around 80F. You see that the animals in these polar climates are covered in fur but humans are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.