Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

I actually believe that most people are taught to hate the cold. Right now I'm here in CT and we've had snow every other day this week and I'm doing perfectly fine. Life goes on. I'm not sick of winter. I conditioned my mind to just accept it for what it is. It's all about attitude. We can look forward to enjoyable weather for the next 7 months, while the people living in Texas and Florida will be SUFFERING in extreme heat and humidity for 4-6 months nonstop, as they are constantly clamoring for climate controlled indoor temperatures. A lifestyle of AC 24/7. Personally, I think summers in CT get too hot sometimes and honestly, it sucks when you have to wear long sleeved business clothes to work like I do. There is NOTHING worse than walking into the office all sweaty in business clothes. GROSS!

The almanac was correct when it said that this winter would be much colder than average. The almanac also says that this summer will be much hotter than average. Not sure I'd want to be down south in the summer this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I actually believe that most people are taught to hate the cold. Right now I'm here in CT and we've had snow every other day this week and I'm doing perfectly fine. Life goes on. I'm not sick of winter. I conditioned my mind to just accept it for what it is. It's all about attitude. We can look forward to enjoyable weather for the next 7 months, while the people living in Texas and Florida will be SUFFERING in extreme heat and humidity for 4-6 months nonstop, as they are constantly clamoring for climate controlled indoor temperatures. A lifestyle of AC 24/7. Personally, I think summers in CT get too hot sometimes and honestly, it sucks when you have to wear long sleeved business clothes to work like I do. There is NOTHING worse than walking into the office all sweaty in business clothes. GROSS!

The almanac was correct when it said that this winter would be much colder than average. The almanac also says that this summer will be much hotter than average. Not sure I'd want to be down south in the summer this year!
Suffering? Miami Beach is a whopping 5F warmer in the summer than whatever suburb you are in Connecticut.

In the winter, we are 50-60F warmer than your sleepy suburb. We don't suffer in either season.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Suffering? Miami Beach is a whopping 5F warmer in the summer than whatever suburb you are in Connecticut.

In the winter, we are 50-60F warmer than your sleepy suburb. We don't suffer in either season.
Completely false.

The average high temperature in Miami during the summer is 91F. Here where I live now, it's 84F. That's a 7 degree difference, which is noticeable. And I don't live in a suburb. I live in a city.

Florida's climate and Florida in general is an anomaly and isn't how most Americans live.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Completely false.

The average high temperature in Miami during the summer is 91F. Here where I live now, it's 84F. That's a 7 degree difference, which is noticeable. And I don't live in a suburb. I live in a city.

Florida's climate is an anomaly and isn't how most Americans live.
I said Miami Beach, (Miami Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Go look, on June we average 87, on July 88, on August 89, by September we're back to 87.

Last I checked 89-84 = 5. Maybe I'm doing my math wrong.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:34 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:

Yup!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Also, people forget that the scenery in the north/northeast is generally more appealing than the scenery of the Southeast or Texas, to most people anyway. So, during the beautiful summer here in the northeast, we will have MOUNTAINS and hills and valleys combined with the heat! Most of Florida and Texas is nearly flat or totally flat.

I mean, you simply can't replicate this experience anywhere in Florida or Texas (picture of New Hampshire white mountains):

http://matthewlambertnewhampshire.or...PARK2_0703.jpg

Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with you. New Yorkers put up with terrible winters because it's New York. If I wasn't in New York, though, I wouldn't put up with it. I'd be in Florida or California. I guess other people deal with it because it's home and, as some said, you simply take the good with the bad.

This was the coldest February EVER on record in New York City and the second coldest winter I can remember during my lifetime (the coldest was winter of 03-04).

Coldest Month Ever: Northeast Bids a Bitter Goodbye to February - NBC News

This winter was dangerously cold, and it presented a life danger that summer time temps in NYC do not. This past Tuesday, I would suspect the average person would die after a few minutes of being exposed to that cold with no clothing.
Same here north of Boston. November was pretty cold. December was tame but not far above average here and January and February were absolutely brutal. The last two winters have been incredibly cold and snowy. Typically we get around 40 inches of snow a year. Last year we had over 100 inches and this year over 100 inches. It's been a constant cold on top of it. In winters before we would get those days in between that would melt some of it away. We haven't been getting those days the last couple winters. It's to a point I can't see over the snow banks at all to make a turn and I drive a truck. Some of the local fishermen have resorted to shoveling instead of fishing. The water is so cold they're not catching anything. A couple older fishermen told me they've never seen anything like this. The estuaries are still completely frozen over. There are mini ice bergs floating around big enough to sink a boat. There are front loaders still trying to clear I-95's snow piled up on the median and shoulder. Dump trucks hauling snow. People willing to pay hundreds to have their roof cleared off. I've made more in the past 2 months plowing and roof raking than I did in the previous 6 months.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
a couple of inches is hardly a "snow storm".

I really don't think NYCers have much to complain about weather or cold winter. They have pretty normal winters that by any definitely is not brutal.
I'll play devil's advocate for NYC winters and say that a climate that hovers right around the freezing mark and thus contends with snow, ice, sleet, rain, back to snow, then to rain, then a perfect sheet of transparent, inch-thick ice, then a couple of inches of snow over that, then it partially melts causing 6 inch deep puddles everywhere surrounded by 4 foot tall piles of ice and crystalized snow, then it rains two inches, then it is 5 degrees overnight, and so on and so on...

Is far more brutal than consistent frigid temperatures and heaps of fluffly snow.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I actually believe that most people are taught to hate the cold.
People aren't taught to hate it. That's like saying most people are taught to hate the smell of manure. For most people, cold weather is naturally uncomfortable. That's why restaurants don't offer outdoor seating when it's 32 degrees outside.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'll play devil's advocate for NYC winters and say that a climate that hovers right around the freezing mark and thus contends with snow, ice, sleet, rain, back to snow, then to rain, then a perfect sheet of transparent, inch-thick ice, then a couple of inches of snow over that, then it partially melts causing 6 inch deep puddles everywhere surrounded by 4 foot tall piles of ice and crystalized snow, then it rains two inches, then it is 5 degrees overnight, and so on and so on...
Snow is very pretty...until it's plowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.