Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 07:31 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times

Advertisements

But in all fairness, I never debated your original post. If you go back and look at my first post on this thread, I clearly agree with you. I guess that makes you the one with reading comprehension problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 PM

623 posts, read 958,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Houses used to be built in the south so that they were tolerable in the heat. Since about the 1960s, home builders would build an AC, and then set a house down over it and turn it on. But before that, houses were built with reflective tin roofs, lots of windows for air circulation, and shade trees out in the yard, for shaded air to waft through the house.

I came from the upper midwest, and went to college in Louisiana. There was no AC anywhere. Early September I was out in the sun at one pm on the ROTC drill field. No big deal. The Student Union had the windows open and big fans blowing. My dorm room had no AC.
My great grandmothers home was built like this. I remember staying in the house when I was younger and it was absolutely miserable at night.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Somewhere along the line I think you lost track of what I was trying to convey to you. I think you are just flustered with the fact that your theory has no official proof other than a few mythical studies which we all have yet to see posted on here. I can make up any BS I want about meteorology or anything else and post it without citing articles. Since that is basically what you have done, your attempt at insults don't really hold much weight.
Tell you what, if you still want to look over those sources regarding the Cold Epoch, you can hit up my inbox in request.

At what point have I insulted you, or anyone in this thread?

Quote:
IF your cold epoch theory is in fact true, it just means that the south has more severe cold snaps than what it normally does. IF it were to return to "normal", those cold snaps would dip into the 20s, which is reflected by the native flora and their hardiness zones that have been designated to them. This holds up when you mention Floridas coral reefs as well. They saw record breaking cold when they had all that reef damage. So of course it wasn't typical, but not completely unheard of. And obviously the cold snaps rarely make it all the way down to SoFla, but that just means when you use Florida as an example you are generalizing the entire southern portion of the U.S.

Btw, those PDF files have nothing to do with the northern portions of the south, in fact, two of them were published by organizations in Florida.
No, you would not be seeing 20s at all in much of the South, especially Coastal portions of the region, upon the region's return to its natural climactic state. This period of being affected by cold snaps is merely temporary for the South, given the fact that the native ecosystems, from the Live Oak and magnolia areas, to the coral reefs, can't even tolerate such cold, meaning that such ecosystems evolved under conditions where temps were more stable, without the influence of such cold snaps.

The organizations that tested the plants may have been from Florida, but the samples of the plants themselves may have came from the more northerly areas, especially given that the purpose was to test the cold tolerance limit of such plants.

Quote:
But in all fairness, I never debated your original post. If you go back and look at my first post on this thread, I clearly agree with you. I guess that makes you the one with reading comprehension problems.
Right, which is why that section of my post was separated from my response to you by the dashed lines.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
While you could live in the Gulf region without AC, you wouldn't want to. The main problem I see with this region is not the day time temperatures, which aren't that bad, but the night time lows in the summers often don't get below the mid-70s, not allowing the interior of buildings to cool off much. There are many areas farther north that get as warm during the daytime, but at night it cools off more.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
While you could live in the Gulf region without AC, you wouldn't want to. The main problem I see with this region is not the day time temperatures, which aren't that bad, but the night time lows in the summers often don't get below the mid-70s, not allowing the interior of buildings to cool off much. There are many areas farther north that get as warm during the daytime, but at night it cools off more.
A shaded home with lots windows and good cross-ventaliation together with fans might be tolerable though not ideal. Old southern homes were built in that way.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:32 AM

As the weather is warming in the South, one can just lie on a hammock tied to some trees, sip a nice cool drink, and enjoy the nice balmy breezes that last through summer with no problem.

Even during the dead of summer, conditions are never entirely uncomfortable in the South, because of weather circumstances like breezes, cooling thunderstorms, as well as things like lush, shady vegetation. One can just utilize such natural features, and enjoy a nice vacation...

Old 05-06-2015, 01:52 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Your computer won't like it.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
As the weather is warming in the South, one can just lie on a hammock tied to some trees, sip a nice cool drink, and enjoy the nice balmy breezes that last through summer with no problem.

Even during the dead of summer, conditions are never entirely uncomfortable in the South, because of weather circumstances like breezes, cooling thunderstorms, as well as things like lush, shady vegetation. One can just utilize such natural features, and enjoy a nice vacation...
You can tell yourself that kind of stuff all day while you sit there in a pool of sweat. Conditions ARE entirely uncomfortable in most of the South and the entire nation east of the Mississippi for a good 2-3 months each year. Breezes are great, but they do nothing to help the humidity.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You can tell yourself that kind of stuff all day while you sit there in a pool of sweat. Conditions ARE entirely uncomfortable in most of the South and the entire nation east of the Mississippi for a good 2-3 months each year. Breezes are great, but they do nothing to help the humidity.
Yes, and, um, unfortunately most of us are not free to lie in a hammock under a tree all summer long...

Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Your computer won't like it.
It won't like it; it would love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
As long as the air is moving, and isn't stagnant, the effects of humidity are going to be nullified, even in the dead of summer. Sea breezes are powerful enough to do the trick for areas of the region in proximity to the coast, as are the frequent cooling thunderstorms seen by the region, and thick shade from the lush vegetation. All these circumstances mitigate the heat and humidity; keep in mind the heat is never really severe in magnitude in the South. Summer highs often are no warmer than the low 90F range; the peak heat rarely lasts long before the thunderstorms take shape, and cool the temps down to as low as the low 80F range.

Now, inland areas will not see such strong sea-breeze, but the humidity will be lower than in areas along the coast, and cooler nights will be present as well. Either way, whether at the coast, or inland, whether at Houston, New Orleans, or Atlanta, summer uncomfort in the South is always kept in check. The South is nothing more than a subtropical Eden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, and, um, unfortunately most of us are not free to lie in a hammock under a tree all summer long...
Of course not; I was just describing one of multiple activities that can be done outdoors in a Southern summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.