Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 06:43 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, I am full of good information for anyone who wants more.
Uh huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Yes, I am full of good information for anyone who wants more.
There's more?

1. Shade trees
2. Thunderstorms
3. Open windows and breezes

Seems to me like the same old thing, over and over again. If there's more, do tell.

Last edited by saibot; 05-17-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 02:23 PM

21 posts, read 24,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The larger question is "Why would anyone want to live without AC in the South?". I wouldn't recommend it, but I guess it CAN be done. It won't be much fun though.

The South is a very diverse region...of course people in most parts of it need heat - it's not all Miami Beach down here. Most of the South gets four full seasons and has below freezing temperatures in the winter. There are even parts of the South that get A LOT of snow, but there are also areas where you don't even need to own a coat. There isn't one big monolithic South.
Exactly. When I was a kid, I rarely needed a thick jacket. It would get down to the 50's and there would be a stray ice storm or a once every 15-20 years snow, but we rarely needed winter gear. Now that I live in northcentral Arkansas, we get cold, snow, ice, etc, etc here in the river valley. There is definitely no uniform climate for the South.

In terms of air conditioning, if the OP wants to live in the DEEP South without A/C, he can go right ahead. Just don't say the native folk didn't tell you so.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
I cant do it! When the AC unites would go out (which is very common), I would go crazy. Where I'm from the humidity reaches around 90% during the day. AC is a must!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:15 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I cant do it! When the AC unites would go out (which is very common), I would go crazy. Where I'm from the humidity reaches around 90% during the day. AC is a must!
Yeah, OP just has to realize most people aren't willing to put up with the heat in the South without AC. It's one of the major reasons the SE has exploded in population since AC was invented. Before AC most wouldn't consider living there. I grew up on the Gulf Coast but after AC was widespread. I remember one of my neighbors telling us stories of how awful it was when he was kid, with just a loud attic fan and open windows. He compared it to having a fan in a sauna. It was so hot and humid he couldn't get a good night's sleep for weeks on end in the summer.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Yeah, OP just has to realize most people aren't willing to put up with the heat in the South without AC. It's one of the major reasons the SE has exploded in population since AC was invented. Before AC most wouldn't consider living there. I grew up on the Gulf Coast but after AC was widespread. I remember one of my neighbors telling us stories of how awful it was when he was kid, with just a loud attic fan and open windows. He compared it to having a fan in a sauna. It was so hot and humid he couldn't get a good night's sleep for weeks on end in the summer.
And people like you have to realize that if a house is properly designed to allow the natural climate features to cool it, then you will not need A/C in the South. Just having an attic fan, and open windows is not enough.

The Eurocentric nature of the US is why the South exploded in population so recently; Europeans are largely unfamiliar with warm, humid climates, and lack the generations of know-how needed to live in such climates, unlike people from Africa, and Asia, continents that exhibit humid subtropical climate regimes. If the dominant populations of the US were of Asians and/or Africans, then the South would easily have exploded, even without A/C.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:47 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
And people like you have to realize that if a house is properly designed to allow the natural climate features to cool it, then you will not need A/C in the South. Just having an attic fan, and open windows is not enough.

The Eurocentric nature of the US is why the South exploded in population so recently; Europeans are largely unfamiliar with warm, humid climates, and lack the generations of know-how needed to live in such climates, unlike people from Africa, and Asia, continents that exhibit humid subtropical climate regimes. If the dominant populations of the US were of Asians and/or Africans, then the South would easily have exploded, even without A/C.
Yea. Tell that to my neighbors from Singapore. Or my other neighbors in the apartment below mine from Vietnam. When it's 85 or more they complain more than I do.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:21 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I lived in southern CA without A/C for 28 years, but in Texas, no way. OMG! I would slit my wrists before I'd live without air conditioning in the gawd-forsaken south. How they did it long, long ago is beyond me, but there is no way I'd do it nor would I put my dog through such agony. It's just plain miserable weather.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:40 AM

391 posts, read 754,009 times
I grew up without AC and Fans. In the summer it got really hot - But I survived.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 AM

391 posts, read 754,009 times
Quote:
No my friend, I REALLY am living right on the Gulf Coast, in a bungalow, and doing just fine, all without A/C. Many people in this country think its hellish, but that's because they haven't tried living appropriately in the region. Staying without power in an ugly McMansion doesn't count; no, I am talking a well-designed house that blends with the climate and environment of the subtropical South, maximizing the comfort of the individual by using natural features to its advantage. Light colors for reflecting the sun's rays, airy materials to allow easy wind movement, strategically planted trees to allow for shade, etc all will make the experience comfortable.

Ever been to South Brazil? Eastern South Africa? I have, and I have seen first hand how people make living in hot, humid climates comfortable, all without energy-wasting A/Cs. They simply melded their residences in relation to the natural features of their climates, using techniques I described above.

However, I can't really blame you people for knocking this idea without even trying it; with the stock of people this country has, there is bound to be lack of affinity for subtropical/tropical living. I have an article to help you all out if you are interested:
14 Ways to Keep Cool in Your Home Without Air Conditioning | Care2 Healthy Living
I live in Manila where it gets like 100 degrees with 100% humidity. Everyone here has an AC. Even the ones in the ghettos. It is not possible to create a house that is comfortable without an AC if you can't even be outside in the shade without pouring in sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.