Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:10 AM

13 posts, read 10,814 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was thinking also on Georgia as prices there are really ok from what I saw but I haven't visited it yet. I am planing to make a road trip later this year and see the complete US coast. Any helpful information in advance will be great so I can spot potential places already now and maybe even visit properties during my road trip. This is very helpful here and thanks Irene once again.

I had Savannah in mind and the link above shows some great properties for very reasonable amount of money just 20 min. away of downtown. I am ok with 0 to -5C in winter for 2-3 months. It is not too cold. So, I will deferentially check out more about Georgia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
You might want to look at the coastline of North Carolina, though anything along the east coast is going to have higher humidity than what you're probably used to. But ocean breezes can offset that to a large degree.

Virginia is another state with beautiful coastal areas but the further north you get the colder the water is for longer into the year. Virginia and North Carolina have fairly mild winters usually but you will get snow a couple of times a year.

North Carolina and Virginia both have four distinct seasons, a lot of interesting history, friendly people, a definite "southern" culture," and easy access to the beautiful Smoky Mountains to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. Both of them, but especially North Carolina, also have some very unique and interesting islands off their coast.

I did a search on realtor.com (excellent website to search real estate listings, by the way) for Wilmington, NC, which is pretty far south on the NC coast. The criteria I put in was for 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, and waterfront, for $550,000 to $800,000. It brought up 170 listings. Enjoy!

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...aterfront?ml=4

Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 AM

53 posts, read 91,792 times
doesn't south carolina have some decent beach cities?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESNOTOUGH View Post
doesn't south carolina have some decent beach cities?
Yes, but the OP is trying to escape extreme humidity, from what I understand. All of the east coast is pretty humid, but SC is about the most humid place I've ever been. Personally, humidity doesn't bother me much though.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
I grew up in the arid west (California) and herd horror stories about the horrible humidity out East. Yes, it is bad, OP, but it's not so bad that's it's uninhabitable. Air conditioning (which is universal in the States .. by the way... I know it's not as common in Europe) makes it pretty nice even in the summer months. If I were you, I wouldn't let humidity be a determining factor in where I lived. I'd go ahead and go back to looking at Texas and Florida -- and add Savannah.... that's a great, great place to be.

Last edited by WestCobb; 03-01-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Wow, so many great advises here. Thanks to everyone. The 170 listings are great! California has prices for the same 1.5 million and up and this is out of my current budget, so these states look much more affordable. I haven`t experienced the humidity yet, but when reading here in forum, many user say that Florida and Texas have so horrible humidity that they want to move back north. That scared me a bit... I think I will drive the complete coastline and check out all the places recommended here....Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 AM

I personally love Texas, but then I've spent most of my life in the south, so I'm used to the humidity. I think the SUMMER HEAT in general in Texas would be a shock to your system, which is why I recommended North Carolina. Like I said, it's going to be more humid than what you're used to, but it's definitely worth checking out.

Check out North Carolina's Outer Banks too.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 AM

Outer Banks looks really lovely! Which months of the year are fine for swimming in that region?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMove2015 View Post
Outer Banks looks really lovely! Which months of the year are fine for swimming in that region?
I'd say from May through September. It's a really beautiful area.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Thanks, I already spotted some wonderful properties that are very affordable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.