Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

We only border two also very large countries. One also speaks English (French in small pockets) and the other speaks Spanish (if I'm not mistaken, the most common second language here). So why should we have to know/learn other languages unless we want to? There's no need for it. Some want to learn other languages, and great, I encourage it if that's what they want. But there's no need. Most foreign languages would be useless on a daily basis in America.
I appreciate your thoughts on this. But, we may only border with two countries, but we do business at an international level. Also, saying that there is no need to learn foreign languages is the same as saying we don't need to study geography, history, social studies, or physical education. On the other hand, I could also understand the root of your erroneous reasoning, which remains in the way it is being addressed by our own society.

In my own, humble opinion, I believe our own society damages foreign languages reputation by approaching it as being a product: "I am going to buy it only if it is going to help me? How is it going to solve my problems? Will it benefit me career wise?". It is wrong all together. I can ask the same question: "How is history, social studies, geometry, physical education and the list goes on and on will help me in the future?" Nonetheless, we have to take them. No matter what are you pursuing later on in life, they are mandatory. And no one argues, whether there is a benefit or not to it.

Why, Foreign Languages are not on this list as part of cultural enrichment of our society?
I can only hope, that at least 50% or more of English speaking only population in the US does not have the same reasoning as the above quoted user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Knowing Arabic really well can get you paid nicely in the USA and get you federal govt. positions. I am from the Middle East I would have looked into it but I am working in the health care field instead. I agree with you the Mandarin, China has about 2 billion people in the world and USA does a lot of global business with the Chinese it def can help.
Im Lebanese and cannot speak a lick of Arabic or French. Niether can my mother who was raised here nor my father who grew up in Oklahoma. Both of their parents wanted everything done "the American way". As a result you have three people who are 100% Arabic (myself, my mother, and my father) who dont speak one word of the language.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4edu View Post
I appreciate your thoughts on this. But, we may only border with two countries, but we do business at an international level. Also, saying that there is no need to learn foreign languages is the same as saying we don't need to study geography, history, social studies, or physical education. On the other hand, I could also understand the root of your erroneous reasoning, which remains in the way it is being addressed by our own society.

In my own, humble opinion, I believe our own society damages foreign languages reputation by approaching it as being a product: "I am going to buy it only if it is going to help me? How is it going to solve my problems? Will it benefit me career wise?". It is wrong all together. I can ask the same question: "How is history, social studies, geometry, physical education and the list goes on and on will help me in the future?" Nonetheless, we have to take them. No matter what are you pursuing later on in life, they are mandatory. And no one argues, whether there is a benefit or not to it.

Why, Foreign Languages are not on this list as part of cultural enrichment of our society?
I can only hope, that at least 50% or more of English speaking only population in the US does not have the same reasoning as the above quoted user.
Sure, but not everybody does business with other countries directly. My dad owns a business and doesn't deal directly with other countries, his products might be from elsewhere, but he doesn't talk to anyone outside of the US, it is very rare if he does and is most often England. So while we do have a global economy, not every American interacts with those from other countries in business. The ones that do should learn another language, sure, if it would help. My friend's dad works for a computer company and travels overseas all the time, most often to Brazil. Would it help him to learn Portuguese? I'm sure it would. But not everyone is in his situation. The primary language of business right now is English anyway. English is widely spoken now, it's the important global language, like French was 200 years ago or whatever - now it's English.

There is no reason for me to learn another language. I live somewhere where English is primarily spoken, despite the diversity of my region. I don't interact with foreigners on a daily basis, at work, in my family, or through any other means. If I learned another language (fluently - I can speak Spanish but not fluently) then what would I do with it? Absolutely nothing in daily life. I would never have the opportunity to speak it. It would be useless for me. What, learn another language so I can say I speak another language? So people think it's cool I know Mandarin or Japanese or French? No need.

I do have to say, I wish my grandma taught my dad Italian so in turn I could learn it. My great-grandma primarily spoke it, as an immigrant from Sicily, and it would have been nice to know Italian but my family didn't stick to their roots in that regard. My grandma didn't want to teach her children Italian, she wanted them to know English.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
I live in Minnesota and have no intention of traveling outside the United States... so me learning another language would be a waste of time.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Knowing how to do long division is not necessary, either, nor finding European countries on a map, or knowing the story lines of Shakespearean plays, or naming the planets of the solar system, or how a bill becomes law, or which states were the 13 original colonies.

It's called "Education" when you know things you don't need to know, which is not necessarily a bad idea.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Knowing how to do long division is not necessary, either, nor finding European countries on a map, or knowing the story lines of Shakespearean plays, or naming the planets of the solar system, or how a bill becomes law, or which states were the 13 original colonies.

It's called "Education" when you know things you don't need to know, which is not necessarily a bad idea.
I guess i'd happily be labeled "dumb" or "uneducated" than.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
I'm fascinated with languages. I myself am determined to become fluent in Spanish, Russian, and American Sign Language.

I live in California, specifically Los Angeles. One doesn't need to be fluent, but it's always good to at least know the basics in Spanish in Los Angeles.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Who said people know any of that?

Learning a language is required in most schools just like everything you mentioned. For me growing up, I had to take a language (Spanish) starting in second grade through 5th, then 6-12 could choose a language.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,453 times
You sure need to learn another language where I live (Los Ange les). Many businesses prefer bi-lingual speakers.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
You sure need to learn another language where I live (Los Ange les). Many businesses prefer bi-lingual speakers.
One doesn't absolutely need to be bilingual to get a job in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.