Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,788 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the following -

Cost of Living: I make a reasonable wage but not mega bucks.
Culture: I am into the music scene, museums, sports, and restaurants (favourite cuisines are American, Mexican, Italian, and Chinese).
Crime: Low crime would be ideal.
Economy: A good economy would be nice for obvious reasons.
Leisure: Not focused on clubbing. A focus on bars, coffee shops and other such places. I abhor clubbing and to move to another city where the social scene revolves around clubbing would be hell for me.
Personality Types: I am introverted so would like to move somewhere with others who are introverted, though I would like to make friends still so not too aloof!
Politics: Liberal. I was brought up in a conservative town and disliked it.
Religion: I am irreligious so a place that doesn’t put a lot of weight on religion would be ideal.
Sports: I like soccer, football and baseball. A city with any of those teams would be good.
Weather: Hate humidity but love rain and thunderstorms. Preferably no snow, and if any at Christmas but it doesn’t stick around long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 PM

312 posts, read 481,501 times
Any generic millennial hipster city, because as per your description that's the demographic you're in.

Portland? Austin?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Seattle should have you cover on every category (except for COL). Other cities to consider are Portland, Denver, and San Francisco. Portland and Denver are both more affordable, with San Francisco being the most expensive. Nonetheless, perhaps there are options within the Bay Area, if not San Francisco itself. It does snow in Denver, so I wouldn't put it on the top of your list, but it also has plenty of sunny winter days, which means the snow melts away.

The humidity factor eliminates the Southeast and eastern Texas.
The snow factor eliminates the greater Lake region and the Northeast.

Essentially, the West Coast is your best bet.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Portland, but I don't know if it's economy is strong. Seattle, but Seattle is getting expensive these days. SF is expensive all around so unless you're a Techie, don't go to the SF Bay Area.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Seattle should have you cover on every category (except for COL). Other cities to consider are Portland, Denver, and San Francisco. Portland and Denver are both more affordable, with San Francisco being the most expensive. Nonetheless, perhaps there are options within the Bay Area, if not San Francisco itself. It does snow in Denver, so I wouldn't put it on the top of your list, but it also has plenty of sunny winter days, which means the snow melts away.

The humidity factor eliminates the Southeast and eastern Texas.
The snow factor eliminates the greater Lake region and the Northeast.

Essentially, the West Coast is your best bet.
If you ignored weather, would my options be open outside the West?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 PM

312 posts, read 481,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrty View Post
If you ignored weather, would my options be open outside the West?
Google top 10 cities for hipsters. If climate isn't a bother and cost of living is, find out the hipster neighborhood and then go on Craigslist for each city, go to apartments and houses for rent, type in the name of the neighborhood and put your min and max budget into the search bar. If you get thousands of legit listings then it's in your price range, if there is 4 ads in your price range and they have no pictures, a vague description and no number to call then it is too expensive

Tbh climate is one thing you shouldn't compromise on. Most any city especially ones that are magnet for hipster millennial urbanistas like yourself have similar amenities like ironic coffee shops snd over priced used clothing stores and atheist "progressives" most of these cities have low crime because progressive urbanistas like yourself have moved in and priced out poor people and minorities who commit the bulk of urban crime and have dumped them into once safe middle class suburbs so that social justice and anti racism can be espoused by urbanistas from a healthy distance. All of these cities are essentially the same city. The housing may look different and the shops have a slightly different name but seattle, portland, Austin, frisco, "hipster brooklyn" (aka Williamsburg/Bushwick in one cluster and fort Greene, Clinton hill and half of crown heights in the other cluster), and many more places are identical in every aspect besides the architecture, natural surroundings (mountains, forest, desert, coastline) and weather. Anything you like about Austin can be found in Portland but Austin is hot and sunny and portland is rainy and cool.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM

Would Chicago suit my personality?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrty View Post
I am looking for the following -

Cost of Living: I make a reasonable wage but not mega bucks.
Culture: I am into the music scene, museums, sports, and restaurants (favourite cuisines are American, Mexican, Italian, and Chinese).
Crime: Low crime would be ideal.
Economy: A good economy would be nice for obvious reasons.
Leisure: Not focused on clubbing. A focus on bars, coffee shops and other such places. I abhor clubbing and to move to another city where the social scene revolves around clubbing would be hell for me.
Personality Types: I am introverted so would like to move somewhere with others who are introverted, though I would like to make friends still so not too aloof!
Politics: Liberal. I was brought up in a conservative town and disliked it.
Religion: I am irreligious so a place that doesn’t put a lot of weight on religion would be ideal.
Sports: I like soccer, football and baseball. A city with any of those teams would be good.
Weather: Hate humidity but love rain and thunderstorms. Preferably no snow, and if any at Christmas but it doesn’t stick around long.
Boston would be an excellent choice with areas like South Boston or the eastside having fairly affordable housing. The average income in Boston is at 51K so it doesn't take mega-bucks to live there comfortably. It nails each and every one of your criteria points (except snow but you're now considering Chicago), so I wouldn't let a mis-perception of affordability deter you from checking it out.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
You described Seattle OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.