Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,316 times

Advertisements

I originally posted in the California forum, but decided I might find a better fit if I searched nationwide for where to move.

I'm a secondary teacher looking to relocate to a much warmer area -I'm from Iowa- that has a beach with my two toddlers. I'm in need of some advice on affordable locations. Here's some information to help out:

Salary: roughly $40,000

Housing: looking to rent a two or possibly three bedroom.

Community: A beach community would be nice, but isn't required as long as I'm close. I'm okay with driving to the beach if it's at most about 45 mins away with normal traffic flow. If I can't have the beach then maybe a trade off with having a view of the mountains? I like being outdoors; hiking, biking, etc.

Safety: As mentioned I'm moving with children so a fairly safe neighborhood is preferred. I'd like to be able to walk at night without feeling like I'm going to get mugged and it'd be nice to be able to lock up my bike and not have it stolen.

Weather: I can't handle severe heat year round (avg below 77° preferred) so maybe not too far south. That being said I also despise extreme cold so not too far north (cooler climate is okay but I really prefer to live in an area with warmer water). If recommending an area by mountains, I don't mind snow, it can LIGHTLY snow in any area suggested as long as the average temperature stays above 25° during the cooler months. I'm moving from the Midwest where snow is a given -every winter, for around 5-6 months out of the year with temperatures constantly dropping below freezing. Brrr.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something.... I'm really partial to California, but if someone has another affordable safe beach community they want to recommend that's in another state then I'll entertain the idea. I really really just want to get to the ocean and away from these freezing winters.

Ah one more thing. I'd like the beach to have decent waves to surf, but also chill enough for the kiddos. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Your criteria don't match one another and you're going to need to figure out what to let go of. Affordable beach communities where the temperature doesn't regularly exceed 77 degree don't exist, and mountainous areas where the temperature stays above 25 degrees in the winter do not exist either. The areas that would make the most sense for you are in the Southeast US where the cost of living is lower and you have the beach access you speak of in affordable areas, and obviously the 77 degree thing goes out the window but remember everything is air-conditioned and it's truly "too hot" for most for just a couple of months versus 5-6 months of winter. Check out places like Charleston/Mt Pleasant SC, Tampa FL, Jacksonville FL and Sarasota FL.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Yea. I would check out the southeast. Never too cold, although they do get a couple quick snaps in winter. Summer is obviously going to be hot and humid but I'm sure you're used to that living in Iowa.

Unfortunately, renting a two bedroom in an average Southern California beach town is going to run you, at the very least, $1,600-$2,000 a month. Thats about half your annual income just on rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.