Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Uncomfortable Summer Weather
Brownsville, TX 14 5.04%
Columbia, SC 14 5.04%
Ft. Meyers, FL 10 3.60%
Houston 59 21.22%
Jackson, MS 13 4.68%
Laredo, TX 8 2.88%
Las Vegas 5 1.80%
Miami 25 8.99%
New Orleans 28 10.07%
Oklahoma City 6 2.16%
Palm Springs, CA area 5 1.80%
Phoenix 70 25.18%
Yuma, AZ 21 7.55%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,065,922 times

Advertisements

Worst summer heat I've ever experienced was in Phoenix. I kept hearing 'its dry heat, its different than FL heat'. Dry or not, it was intense.

Quote:
Ive been in PHX when the nighttime lows were 96 degrees, daytime highs 116. Dry or not, it was the hottest thing Ive ever experienced.

Yeah, same for me.. and I live in South Florida. Yes, summer here is bad, and very humid, we all know that, but I've never had it be 90+ at 11 pm . I'm not bashing Phoenix though, I did actually like it and didnt really mind the heat, as I said, I am from South Florida, so I am used to heat. But had never experienced what 110+ degrees felt like. Yuma was pretty intense too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfIllFaith View Post
Worst summer heat I've ever experienced was in Phoenix. I kept hearing 'its dry heat, its different than FL heat'. Dry or not, it was intense.

Yeah, same for me.. and I live in South Florida. Yes, summer here is bad, and very humid, we all know that, but I've never had it be 90+ at 11 pm . I'm not bashing Phoenix though, I did actually like it and didnt really mind the heat, as I said, I am from South Florida, so I am used to heat. But had never experienced what 110+ degrees felt like. Yuma was pretty intense too.
A few days of 110 spread out sporadically throughout 4-5 months isnt horrid. Its the fact that PHX had 33 days of 110+ this summer. Frick!!!! I left PHX on the beginning of their horrid hell heat wave and "only" got to experience 4 days of it. By the 4th day I was going insane, you couldnt do anything outside in the daytime, it was too blastin hot! I came back to IL to a decently humid 85 degrees and swore Id never complain again. LOL The rest of the summer here was a breeze, only in the 80s, with 70s at night. Dry heat. Pfft. HELL HEAT is more like it. Screw that.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,057 times
Quote:

It may not be 90+ at 11pm, but it's pretty damn close. It's usually around 85-88 in July at 11pm in south florida.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,065,922 times
Quote:
It may not be 90+ at 11pm, but it's pretty damn close. It's usually around 85-88 in July at 11pm in south florida.
The heat here is very different from Arizona. No comparison. Yes, South Florida is hot. But Phoenix was beyond anything I've ever experienced here.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
The heat here is very different from Arizona. No comparison. Yes, South Florida is hot. But Phoenix was beyond anything I've ever experienced here.
Florida is a swamp, AZ is a oven. Thats the difference. At least you have abundant water to cool off in in Florida though. Even the swimming pools in AZ are frickin hot, and forget about the water fountains. Theyre too hot to touch 1/2 the time and spew out water hot enough to make tea/coffee with. Ill never forget getting a drink at Camelback Mountain last summer... I touched the handle and about got 3rd degree burns, only to get a mouth full of bathwater-warm water. I was beyond upset.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I have never been, but do watch temperatures throughout Texas during the summer and Laredo looks excrutiating during most of the summer months. Another interesting fact about Laredo is that they can get very hot in the middle of winter, as well. I believe they have topped 90º in every month of the year and, in fact, they were near 90º just a few days ago.
Yeah, great call on that. You ALWAYS see Laredo as the "hot spot" in the US in the cooler months, often at ridiculously warm temps for the middle of the winter in the 80s or even 90! Heck, throw some humidity in there and that is hot, even in the heart of winter!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Yeah, great call on that. You ALWAYS see Laredo as the "hot spot" in the US in the cooler months, often at ridiculously warm temps for the middle of the winter in the 80s or even 90! Heck, throw some humidity in there and that is hot, even in the heart of winter!
What amazes me about Laredo is that it's blistering during the entire summer with no real reprieve. During the winter, the temperatures fluctuate immensely from one day to the next and there is no discernable pattern - it just does what it wants (which is no shock to those of us who live in places like Denver ).

Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Florida - I hate the high humidity! I would rather be in 110 and 9% humidity than 95 degrees and 90% humidity

YUCK!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Florida - I hate the high humidity! I would rather be in 110 and 9% humidity than 95 degrees and 90% humidity

YUCK!!
Florida doesnt get that hot (contrary to popular belief), nor have I EVER seen it be 95 degrees with 90% humidity in the states. Do you have any idea what the heat index would be at 95 degrees with 90% humidity? And places like Miami, while humid, are very comfortable along the beach with that gorgeous, non-dusty breeze they get. Perhaps you should go to Florida sometime before you bash it.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Florida doesnt get that hot (contrary to popular belief), nor have I EVER seen it be 95 degrees with 90% humidity in the states. Do you have any idea what the heat index would be at 95 degrees with 90% humidity? And places like Miami, while humid, are very comfortable along the beach with that gorgeous, non-dusty breeze they get. Perhaps you should go to Florida sometime before you bash it.
Sarasota FL - Sister in law lives there - 95degree and 80+% humidity Been there, done that - no thanks - btw, she is moving to Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.