Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Uncomfortable Summer Weather
Brownsville, TX 14 5.04%
Columbia, SC 14 5.04%
Ft. Meyers, FL 10 3.60%
Houston 59 21.22%
Jackson, MS 13 4.68%
Laredo, TX 8 2.88%
Las Vegas 5 1.80%
Miami 25 8.99%
New Orleans 28 10.07%
Oklahoma City 6 2.16%
Palm Springs, CA area 5 1.80%
Phoenix 70 25.18%
Yuma, AZ 21 7.55%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Never cool. NYC summers are hot and humid, we get heat waves were the weather is 95+ degrees 40% humidity for a week with the occasional 100 a day or two. But they dont happen often...summer is usually 85-92 with decent humidity. But that's nothing compared to the southern states, so we have it good.

Night is in the 70's......not cool, but nice.
So youre saying its "hot and humid" in the summer? But then you say it doesnt happen often and that the rest of the summer is nice with lower humidity. While I agree with you, I think you should state it "does" or "can" get hot and humid from time to time, which it certainly does. At least it doesnt stick around long, like you say. I HATE those days (unless Im sitting by the pool), I dont know how they live like that down south. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Yeah, I phrased it wrong.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:22 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
That's it Nick, it sounds like you are a weather-lover such as myself. You have now convinced me that I need to someday get to Laredo to check it out weather-wise...I agree with you, just kind of an odd climate.
Yes, I am. My partner and many of my friends think I am a total nerd, because I am FOREVER looking at weather in, what seems to them, strange areas throughout the world. It fascinates me to learn about other climates and how people have acclimated themselves.

I find this forum very interesting, because many people prefer the heat and humidity over the baking dry heat of the desert southwest. It amazes me how many people live in such sultry climates and how many actually enjoy it. NOT FOR ME, but I think it's great that people can acclimate to so many different types of climates.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfIllFaith View Post
Yeah, thats exactly what it felt like. And when the wind blows, its like getting hit with a hairdyer.
You should be in Las Vegas during the summer - 115 and 40+mph winds regularly

Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I find this forum very interesting, because many people prefer the heat and humidity over the baking dry heat of the desert southwest. It amazes me how many people live in such sultry climates and how many actually enjoy it. NOT FOR ME, but I think it's great that people can acclimate to so many different types of climates.
From a comfort standpoint, I think in summertime, Arizona is more comfortable than the hotter parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, or South Carolina.

The difference is, in SC when it is 95 outside with 40% humidity, then I can go play in the ocean or in the lake. That isn't an option in many parts of AZ.

Not to mention, the weather in March, April, May, September, October, and November is beautiful in the southeast. We only have 3 months of consistently cold weather, and 3 months of consistently hot weather. The other 6 are perfect, IMO, especially here on the coast.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

Not to mention, the weather in March, April, May, September, October, and November is beautiful in the southeast. We only have 3 months of consistently cold weather, and 3 months of consistently hot weather. The other 6 are perfect, IMO, especially here on the coast.
The fall and spring are amazing in the Southeast, imho. After living a half-decade in Chicago, though, and 4 years before that in the mountains, I'd say you'd be hard-pressed to convince most of these posters that Dec, Jan, and Feb are "consistently cold"

When I was visiting family in SC over Christmas, we had a couple of days (I think around the 27-29th) that were downright warm. I think it hit the 70s, and one night we were all walking around in t-shirts as we left a movie around midnight! Does it ever get cold in SC? Sure! Consistently? Maybe not so much. Still, if I could live May-September in Chicago and in SC for the rest of the year, I'd do it.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Worst summer weather has to go to the desert cities of Phoenix, etc. At least in the southeast, you get a storm that blows through for some varience. Also, shorter drives to the ocean for some play time. Plus, Phoenix is just plain boring, even more so in the summer when you are stuck indoors all day.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Where's Philadelphia on here? Sometimes it gets hotter than Fla!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Where's Philadelphia on here? Sometimes it gets hotter than Fla!
We're talking about summer weather, not little spells. Yes, PA can get a little hotter than Florida, but its not allllll summer long like it is down south. When I was in PA (Hershey, Gettysburg, Pittsburgh), the summer weather was glorious all week long (low 80s, low humidity, blue skies, nice breeze). Overall PA's summers are FAR better than Florida's. I wont even mention the hurricanes either.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Phoenix is just plain boring, even more so in the summer when you are stuck indoors all day.
I can tell you that many of us are not "stuck indoors" all day during the summer - we golf, swimming, camping, boating, hiking - lots of stuff actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.