Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these places would be the best match?
Carson City, NV 3 16.67%
Portland, ME 3 16.67%
Newark, DE 2 11.11%
Pittsburgh, PA 5 27.78%
Philadelphia, PA 2 11.11%
Other (feel free to specify) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 PM

51 posts, read 88,082 times

Advertisements

Sometimes life throws you curves and you need time to recharge, regroup, (no I am not a fugitive) For several months to year or so. I pretty much have my choice of these 4 states in which to collect myself or possibly make a future.

I am wondering which of these places would be the best fit. I am interested in living somewhere that would offer some of the following:
  • A relatively low crime rate. (I realize it is unrealistic to expect no crime but I don't want to live somewhere that is dangerous).
  • A place that has jobs. (I am not really looking for a career, I just need a job so I can cover bills).
  • A place I can actually afford to live. (I know I will need to work, but I need somewhere a job in like retail or something will allow me to have a roof over my head).
  • A place that is at least somewhat welcoming. I guess what I am asking is which of the places is "friendliest" or at least the least cut throat?

About me:

I am middle aged, getting out of a bad relationship and have no interest in dating or the singles scene.
I am not really into the bar/club scene, so I don't want or need a place with trendy nightlife.
I do not have any interest in the "great outdoors".
I like hanging out at home watching movies, tv, computer and stuff like that.
I like to go shopping and eat so I would like a place that offers retail and dining.
I would also like to "see the sights", and I know (although vastly different) these places are fairly close to some of the things in the country I would like to see.

Culturally/Geographically my family is based in southern Illinois and southern Indiana. I have lived in southern and central IL.... so those of you familiar with that part of the country understand that I am used to having nothing to do or see. I am pretty easily entertained.

I have it narrowed down to the states listed in the title, more specifically these areas:

Carson City, maybe Reno or Sparks Nevada (I don't think I would take the city of Las Vegas if you would give it to me) This is the one I am kind of leaning towards, I think my big hangup is the fact that it is SO far away from everybody/everything I know.

Portland Maine, I fear the cost of living there would be very high. Also I don't know how bad a Maine winter might be.

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, I have heard some good things about this place, but what is a real world opinion.

Newark Delaware, Another place I have heard good things about, but need an honest opinion.

Philadelphia Pennsylvania, definitely at the bottom of the list but maybe there is something good about it that I just don't know.

Opinions welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM

51 posts, read 88,082 times
I see no love for Delaware. I voted "other" just so when I refreshed the thread I would see results instead of clicking view results every time.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:07 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Resident here of Pittsburgh. The job market is below average and the recent gentrification of the region has increased prices considerably. The other problem with the gentrification is that there is a much more drastic difference between the good and bad neighborhoods of the city. A basic retail job won't pay rent unless you are in the worst neighborhood. The other issue is that here the retail jobs are mainly part time. Pittsburgh ranks up there with Portland and Seattle with the amount of annual sunshine. I didn't realize that until I moved here. Days of cloud banks are not uncommon and completely clear days are rare. Not a big shopping city, only the usual big box retailers. Worst food city I have ever lived in. On the plus side, low crime and tourist attractions.

Other cities I hear a lot of positive buzz about - Buffalo, Cleveland, and Columbus.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Main because lobster. And summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.