U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are college towns good for 22 year old singles who have graudated and are looking meet new people?
Yes 10 71.43%
No 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:05 AM

17 posts, read 13,958 times

Advertisements

What is the best college town to meet new girls? I was considering living in Berkeley, but heard that may not be a good idea for meeting new girls. Are college towns in general a good idea for a 22 year old male who has graduated? I figured they would be, I mean, there are more people my age, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM

526 posts, read 462,062 times
You graduated, grow up, your not in college anymore! I am not putting you down, I went through the same thing a few years back and that's what i was told. Your goal should be to find a good job in a nice big city and move on with life, not work some s****ty service job in a college town. Your getting older, not younger, soon 18/19/20 year olds will be the last thing you want to be around. I am not saying you have to pop out 2 kids and a lawn in the next 3 years b/c that is not the case at all. I am saying you probably want to move on and not live like your a college student still.

Trust me, I still go out probably once a week, I have no kids, I still live in a young area, but I do not try to hang out with the college kids b/c we are at far different levels of maturity.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 AM

And just so you know I am 27 and live in Florida near the beach. All my friends are post grad working people who still like to drink, go out, and have fun! While we do those things, there is a distinct difference from how we used to do them in the undergrad years. Once you graduate you will quickly realize living like a poor student sucks. This will cause you go grow up and have higher aspirations then living like a college kid and thus, make you want to move on and not live like one!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Hey, Thanks for your responses blackgt! Well, I work remotely in IT, so I wouldn't be working a ****ty service job in a college town (thank god, haha). Otherwise, you would be correct with what you were saying. Your other point may be valid though. Still, I am only 22. I feel like I could be around campuses for another year and have a great time with that age group. I just think there will be way less chances of meeting 20 year olds if I'm not near a campus or in a college town, right?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM

I hear ya, you are at a weird age you are still young enough for college but at the same time you are quickly transitioning out. I took a few years off and didn't graduate till 25 so i was out of there the second i could be! My advice would be find a big city that has colleges and live near one. It will be the best of both worlds. You could still hang out with people in school, but as you get older you can easily still transition away. I didn't think it was true, but once i started working i matured more in 3 months then i did in 5 years of college.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM

i saw your other post and i would highly recommend st. pete!! They have a ton of younger professionals with lots to do around town. There is also some huge college (cant remember the name) right over the bridge in Tampa. I am actually trying to move to St. Pete right now!! I am over in Jacksonville which isnt bad, just not quite what I want long term

Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316asv View Post
What is the best college town to meet new girls? I was considering living in Berkeley, but heard that may not be a good idea for meeting new girls. Are college towns in general a good idea for a 22 year old male who has graduated? I figured they would be, I mean, there are more people my age, right?
I'd recommend heading into a big city with lots of colleges. That way, if you're still looking to be around younger people, you're not "that guy" who's done with school but still hanging around town. After graduating from college in rural South Carolina, I moved back to Massachusetts and eventually moved into Boston when I was around 24 years old.

At that point, I had graduated but also still liked the idea of being around young people. Living in a neighborhood like Allston provided that everything I wanted. It had tons of college students in the area and even more recent graduates. I never felt out of place. In certain bars, you'd find the college crowd, but then you could go to another place and it'd be a totally different type of person. The problem with going to a small college town is you're really limiting yourself...a big city allows you to stay with the younger group at times, but continue to grow as well.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 PM

Can any of you two give some examples of big cities which would have some colleges in them and more importantly a lot of recent graduates in them? It could be anywhere in the US. Also, if you know of any in California, that would be great too, as I was planning on moving to Berkeley/Oakland, but may move elsewhere..Would Berkeley be a good spot? Its in the bay area (east bay) and has UC berkeley.

Any additional info at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
i saw your other post and i would highly recommend st. pete!! They have a ton of younger professionals with lots to do around town. There is also some huge college (cant remember the name) right over the bridge in Tampa. I am actually trying to move to St. Pete right now!! I am over in Jacksonville which isnt bad, just not quite what I want long term
Cool, I'll look more into St. Pete, any other suggestions based on my other reply above this one? Thank you

Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316asv View Post
Can any of you two give some examples of big cities which would have some colleges in them and more importantly a lot of recent graduates in them? It could be anywhere in the US. Also, if you know of any in California, that would be great too, as I was planning on moving to Berkeley/Oakland, but may move elsewhere..Would Berkeley be a good spot? Its in the bay area (east bay) and has UC berkeley.

Any additional info at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'd avoid it. The bay area is unnecessary expensive. Think about it. You're not going to impress any girls living in a tiny shack.

My suggestions (take them of leave them):

Madison/Middleton Wis
Tulsa OK
Knoxville TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or