Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:32 AM

15 posts, read 13,401 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 23 year old college graduate currently living in Michigan. I have been working full time in an administrative/compliance role since I was 19. I graduated with my BBA last May and have been searching for a new job with no luck. I would really like to move to a new city away from home to experience something different, as I have lived here my entire life. I am still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for my career, so I am willing to try new things, I would just like to have a job in place before I make a move.

Here are some things I am looking for in a city:

Climate- Looking for a warm climate! Prefer less humidity, but I could deal with it if need be. I have no hobbies that include snow, so I am would like a place with no snow, or a very limited amount. Would like to see the sun as much as possible throughout the year.

Cost of Living- Obviously would prefer it to be low, but I know Michigan is pretty much at the bottom so I expect things to be more expensive. Right now I am paying $520/ month for a 2 bdr apt that I share with one other person. I think the most I would like to pay in rent is around $850/month, depending on my salary. Right now I make about $38,000 before taxes are taken out. I am looking for $40,000-45,000 in my new location.

Activities- I would like to live in a place where people are very active and take health seriously. Lots of outdoor activities would be nice, biking/running trails, a walk able city, ect. I am not that into the bar scene as I do not enjoy drinking. I do like to go out dancing (salsa dancing), but I don't like paying huge cover fees to do so. I also enjoy sporting events.

Transportation- I like to take public transportation, so this is important to me. Looking for a city with a good public transportation system, or a walk able city as I said above.

I am thinking of cities in the South or West, but any suggestions are welcomed. I would prefer to stay away from the Northeast though!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I would recommend that you look at the midsize cities in North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, and Georgia. I mention those states specifically because the cost of living can be pretty low outside of the big metro areas, and all of those states have some pleasant midsize cities that are economically healthy and growing and which offer good amenities. Also, big metro areas are generally not too bad a drive if you want the often international amenities that a large metro can offer.

Out of the four, Tennessee is going to have the coldest winters. You are likely to get some snow each year in most areas of Tennessee - but there are some really interesting cities there, especially Nashville and Knoxville. You may also want to look at Columbus and Macon and Savannah GA, Durham-Chapel Hill and Winston-Salem NC, and Tyler/Longview Waco and Fort Worth TX. I am sure I've left lots and lots of good cities out of that list - for instance, there are some nice areas of South Carolina as well.

Your biggest challenge in a mid size city is going to be public transportation. Not that they don't have it, but it's not going to be as streamlined and have as many options as a larger metro. But the costs of living may make it more feasible for you to buy a vehicle.

Anyway, that's a start. I would recommend some in the west, but I'm not as familiar with that region as I am the south and southeast.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:20 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Warm climate/limited snow, low cost of living, recreational opportunities, good public transportation/walkable areas...Atlanta fits the bill. I'd check out Birmingham as well; its downtown is undergoing quite the transformation right now and is very walkable. Also check out Greenville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Winston-Salem.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Good public transit and warm climate do not go together. Atlanta and Los Angeles are the only two warm cities which even make the top 50 in the country.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
I don't consider Atlanta a "warm weather" destination. It's simply warmer than Michigan. Not to mention its public transportation isn't very good. I lived in Atlanta without a car, ad it meant compromising on whole swaths of Atlanta (don't even bring up the suburbs) I could visit.

As to Los Angeles, eh,I hear they have some lines but when I lived there I didn't know anyone who used them. But maybe when you combine "warm" and "good public transportation", Los Angeles is all that's left.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Atlanta. Atlanta has the 8th best transit system in the country. Live by the train station and you can use it until 1am each night. Warm weather. Beautiful topography. Too many festivals and music festivals to name. Wonderful trails. Always something to do. Mild winters. Cheaper cost of living. Etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I don't consider Atlanta a "warm weather" destination. It's simply warmer than Michigan.
For the OP, I'm sure that's mainly what counts.

Quote:
Not to mention its public transportation isn't very good. I lived in Atlanta without a car, ad it meant compromising on whole swaths of Atlanta (don't even bring up the suburbs) I could visit.
Well for the South it's good, but you'd have to supplement it with Zipcar, Uber/Lyft, the occasional car rental, etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
For large cities, Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte and Houston jump out at me. Perhaps Austin, New Orleans, Orlando or Miami. LA is warm with decent walkability and transit, but it's also expensive.

I'd imagine some walkable smaller cities or college towns would work as well.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 AM

15 posts, read 13,401 times
Charlotte really appeals to me for some reason. Is the job market for entry levels good there?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubba View Post
Charlotte really appeals to me for some reason. Is the job market for entry levels good there?
Depends on your field, but it would be a good option as well. Just understand that most Southern/Sunbelt metros will be lacking in the public transportation department, but Charlotte is making strides with light rail and streetcar system expansions underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.