Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 PM

281 posts, read 709,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't know, places like Redding and Bakersfield seem more "inland West" than "West Coast" to me. I think they are more similar to Reno or Flagstaff than to San Francisco or Seattle.
I disagree with your comparisons but I'm not sure it even matters that Bakersfield and Seattle are dissimilar as they both exist in the western, marine influenced sides of the states. If you're going to cut out the valleys in California, you might as well take out the Willamette Valley as well. However, I think the rain shadow created by the Cascades/Sierra Nevadas is a pretty definitive West/West Coast border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I have never heard someone argue outside of semantics that Georgia is "East Coast" by any stretch of imagination. That is solid South. It's more than just geography. There is such thing as East Coast culture.
Georgia is every bit as East Coast as any other Eastern Seaboard State - just like Virginia, the Carolinas and Florida.

These States are all in the Eastern time zone and all have Atlantic coastlines. They are East Coast States, period.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:47 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times
I think its a pretty accurate presentation. Id put more of the TX panhandle as "west" rather than "south", though.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:56 PM

12,933 posts, read 9,543,787 times
Quote:
There's never been a large endemic population of Southerners in South Florida, and demographically it's more like New York than like the rest of the South. But really, it's just its own thing, it's only grouped with the Northeast for the sake of simplification.
But this is about geography or geographical locations and not demographics or characteristics. In the pure sense of geography or what is textbooks, Florida is still southern.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:57 PM

707 posts, read 740,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I think its a pretty accurate presentation. Id put more of the TX panhandle as "west" rather than "south", though.
I don't know about that. Once you pass the east of the Sandia Mountains the westerness peters off pretty quickly, reverting to "Y'all" country before even reaching the NM-TX state line. If anything the southern line needs to come more west into New Mexico.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:02 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,058,575 times
Quote:
What do you think? Anything you'd change?
I'd extend the Midwest to the Rockies of CO, WY, and MT. The Midwest ends where the Plains end and the Rockies rise up. Outside of that it looks good.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I'd extend the Midwest to the Rockies of CO, WY, and MT. The Midwest ends where the Plains end and the Rockies rise up. Outside of that it looks good.
That's my exact argument with the Rockies vs. plains of Eastern-NM. The south (culturally, geographically, and topologically) ends where the Rockies and the ranges of the Rio Grande Rift Valley begin (roughly along the line the Pecos River follows).

Old 03-13-2015, 01:24 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
Love the Map and think it is one of the closet I've ever seen as well. Florida is in a land by itself. And everyone knows it. But other than a tweak or two elsewhere it is very very solid.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:32 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I don't know about that. Once you pass the east of the Sandia Mountains the westerness peters off pretty quickly, reverting to "Y'all" country before even reaching the NM-TX state line. If anything the southern line needs to come more west into New Mexico.
Ive argued til I was blue in the face before about this, and Ill argue again. hahaha There might be some regional accent difference, but its more western/cowboy than southern (ie Alabama). The landscape is definitely western and not southern, and the Panhandle retains that old cowboy/western town feel than anything you get down south. The plains, mesas, and cacti are unmistakably western, too. Same goes for far western Oklahoma and its panhandle, IMO.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ive argued til I was blue in the face before about this, and Ill argue again. hahaha There might be some regional accent difference, but its more western/cowboy than southern (ie Alabama). The landscape is definitely western and not southern, and the Panhandle retains that old cowboy/western town feel than anything you get down south. The plains, mesas, and cacti are unmistakably western, too. Same goes for far western Oklahoma and its panhandle, IMO.
Okay I see what you mean. Then the Panhandle/Eastern Plains must be a region all its own, a transitory if you will. By that logic, Santa Fe and Albuquerque and the reservations are by and large far more western/cowboy/vaquero feeling than any points east. Also as far as landscape, Eastern NM is superflat, the very antithesis of western. But as a westerner myself, I don't consider this part to be the west. In that light, I have no problem including the Texas Borderlands as part of the transitory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.