Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
There is a town in the North Carolina mountains called Marion. I've been there a couple of times and decals, flags, shirts, etc. with that symbol are always present, on vehicles, homes and even a couple of businesses.

Aside from Marion and some other mountain towns in NC, the other area I've seen the stars and bars is the Upstate region of South Carolina. This is more on vehicles than anything else however, in particular lifted trucks.
I agree that you're more likely to see Confederate paraphernalia than actual flags, and it's very interesting that you'll see a lot of this in Appalachia (north GA, western NC, upstate SC, etc.) and they were the areas most against secession in period leading up to the Civil War.

Quote:
Lexington County in particular seems to be the "magnet" for anything Confederate in that area.
Agreed; they've got a shop out there and everything.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that you're more likely to see Confederate paraphernalia than actual flags, and it's very interesting that you'll see a lot of this in Appalachia (north GA, western NC, upstate SC, etc.) and they were the areas most against secession in period leading up to the Civil War.
This is a map of the ARC definition of Appalachia showing the various county votes on secession from the United States 1860-1861. Only two states, Virginia and Tennessee, had popular votes on secession, all the others voted by delegates at conventions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1..._by_County.jpg

Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Eastern Tennessee was possibly the most pro-Union region in the Confederacy. Tennessee was the last state to secede, and the first to be readmitted. This should tell you something, and only Arkansas, Florida, and Texas had less slaves.

You'll see those Confederate shops occasionally, mostly in rural areas. I know there's one in North Carolina right over the SC/NC border not too far from North Myrtle, always drive past it heading down from Raleigh.

In Western NC, you'll see plenty. Tons of little roadside stands sell Confederate Flags, particularly west of Asheville. The Cherokee out there actually fought alongside the Confederates, and I always see tons of Confederate Flags in the actual town of Cherokee.

I've never seen as many in the Piedmont or Eastern NC. Occasionally in Raleigh, but not too often.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:37 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Maryland is in the Mid-Atlantic. Maryland is the reason why the term Mid-Atlantic even started, are you being serious or are you joking? Maryland is the ideal state when people use that term..... Also dixie doesn't mean below the Mason dixon line either, dixie is the Bible Belt. Maryland is far away from the Bible Belt.

What the.... Mid-Atlantic IS the transition zone between the south and northeast?
I'm sorry you can have your own definitions, but they are your own.

Here is a map of dixie Dixie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dixie = Southern USA. Not the bible belt, which I associate with Kansas even though I don't associate Kansas with the south or "dixie."

I guess you're from Maryland and ashamed of being a southerner? Well get over it. To me you're a southerner, or at least halfway there.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:12 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Generally, I would say Mississippi, and Alabama is where you would see the most Confederate flags flying.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:54 AM

737 posts, read 1,653,603 times
Growing up in the south I would see it posted pretty much anywhere, be it VA, WV, SC, NC, GA, TN, AL, MS, AR, KY, FL, seriously take your pick it made no difference. Its more common than the US flag in some places.

Last edited by sandlapper; 03-15-2015 at 02:19 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 02:25 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Eastern Tennessee was possibly the most pro-Union region in the Confederacy. Tennessee was the last state to secede, and the first to be readmitted. This should tell you something, and only Arkansas, Florida, and Texas had less slaves.

You'll see those Confederate shops occasionally, mostly in rural areas. I know there's one in North Carolina right over the SC/NC border not too far from North Myrtle, always drive past it heading down from Raleigh.

In Western NC, you'll see plenty. Tons of little roadside stands sell Confederate Flags, particularly west of Asheville. The Cherokee out there actually fought alongside the Confederates, and I always see tons of Confederate Flags in the actual town of Cherokee.

I've never seen as many in the Piedmont or Eastern NC. Occasionally in Raleigh, but not too often.

East Tennessee was very divided in the war, and the whole "brother vs brother" thing was truly reality here. I have also talked to people who assumed their ancestors fought for the confederacy only to find out they wore a blue uniform instead. Sometimes this is not something they were happy about. Just because southern Appalachia was divided or even against secession during the war does not mean there is less confederate sympathy here today. I would say there is no difference between here and other areas of the south regarding attitudes toward the war. The conservative politics of Tennessee may bring about more positive feelings about the confederate cause of small government and states rights than it did even back then. Again this is true around the south, and even outside the south in some cases. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to display the Confederate flag. Most people who do display it do it for one of several reasons. First for simple Southern pride, or for their interest in history, or it may be a modern political statement against our ever growing federal government. Very few people who have a Confederate flag are doing it for racist reasons no matter what leftist groups suggest. Personally I prefer the First National flag of the Confederacy. It was the governmental flag adopted when the Confederacy was started, and it was used when the Confederacy was doing its best. Your right too about Cherokee, lots of them there. Across the mountains in Pigeon Forge you will find even more, in fact there may be more shops selling them there than anywhere in the South. Myrtle Beach is another place where a great many of them sold.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:24 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm sorry you can have your own definitions, but they are your own.

Here is a map of dixie Dixie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dixie = Southern USA. Not the bible belt, which I associate with Kansas even though I don't associate Kansas with the south or "dixie."

I guess you're from Maryland and ashamed of being a southerner? Well get over it. To me you're a southerner, or at least halfway there.
How can you label someone something if they don't consider themselves said description?
Look, if someone from Maryland considers themselves southern then sure, but if someone from Maryland considers themselves northern them so be it. At the end of the day most people from Maryland could care less and don't associate with either region. I'm from D.C. and now live in Maryland, been all over the state. It all has much in common with the states its near, Southern PA (Pittsburgh to Philly), South Jersey (Mt. Laurel and points south), Delaware, and Northern Virginia, people from these areas sound similar to me. This whole north vs south BS is stupid anyways since people in both regions travel up and down I-95 everyday.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post

Interesting. I don't recall seeing any Confederate flags in Cherokee any time I've been there, but I guess I'll take your word for it. I'll look more closely next time I go through there. I DID get some great boiled peanuts in Cherokee once though!

I travel on business through the south a lot. Actually through the south, the lower midwest, and up into Pennsylvania and Ohio.

I see Confederate flags scattered around in ALL those areas, including those areas not in the south. However, there seem to be more in South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia than in places like NC, TN, VA, AR, and TX, and I see them more in rural areas than in the larger cities.

I see them just as often in rural WV and PA and OH as I do in places like TN or TX or NC (not that often but occasionally). I've even seen Confederate flags displayed in GERMANY for pete's sake. That was weird.

I personally wouldn't display a Confederate flag, for a wide range of reasons, and to be honest, I prefer not being surrounded by people who do, so I do notice them when I see them. One thing I really like about living in east Texas is that while it's definitely southern, it's definitely not that particular brand of "rebel redneck Southern" which I definitely do NOT like. I love being Southern but I've never been or related to that sort of Southern!

Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. I don't recall seeing any Confederate flags in Cherokee any time I've been there, but I guess I'll take your word for it. I'll look more closely next time I go through there. I DID get some great boiled peanuts in Cherokee once though!

I travel on business through the south a lot. Actually through the south, the lower midwest, and up into Pennsylvania and Ohio.

I see Confederate flags scattered around in ALL those areas, including those areas not in the south. However, there seem to be more in South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia than in places like NC, TN, VA, AR, and TX, and I see them more in rural areas than in the larger cities.

I see them just as often in rural WV and PA and OH as I do in places like TN or TX or NC (not that often but occasionally). I've even seen Confederate flags displayed in GERMANY for pete's sake. That was weird.

I personally wouldn't display a Confederate flag, for a wide range of reasons, and to be honest, I prefer not being surrounded by people who do, so I do notice them when I see them. One thing I really like about living in east Texas is that while it's definitely southern, it's definitely not that particular brand of "rebel redneck Southern" which I definitely do NOT like. I love being Southern but I've never been or related to that sort of Southern!
Oh, they're all over the place in Cherokee. Mainly in tourist shops and roadside stands, you'll also see tons in Maggie Valley and Waynesville. Like I said, they're all over in Western NC.

Seeing them in those four Deep South states would make a lot of sense, yes. I don't think I've ever been to Georgia without seeing at least one, whether on a license plate, bumper sticker, flying in someone's yard, etc.

Many hate groups in Germany fly the Confederate Flag since they can't fly the Swastika. Obviously, these groups are using it as a racist symbol.

I think Texans are more "proud to be Texans" than "proud to be southern." I wouldn't expect Texans to be hung up on "southern pride" or preserving Confederate heritage like some of the other southern states (Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Alabama, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.