Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:21 AM

117 posts, read 136,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
In terms of most diverse I think New York City is the clear winner.

NYC has a huge African American population, it has a huge Haitian population, huge west African population, huge Jamaican population, huge dominican population. We also can't forget Puerto Ricans who have African blood in them making them mixed raced of African descent. That brings up another point. I know biracial is different than black but NYC has a huge amount of mixed race people who share African blood too.

NYC beats miami for me because Miami is mainly just Haitians and Jamaicans, it lacks dominicans, puerto ricans, and west Africans. I'm not so sure if miami has a large afro cuban population. Would be interesting to me if someone from miami could comment on this subject matter.
As a Haitian-American myself I see NYC, and Boston being the true representation of the black Caribbean diaspora. As a matter of fact I see Fort Lauderdale as having more of a true diaspora than Miami. Miami too me like you said is mostly Haitian, African American, Jamaican, and small numbers of islanders scattered in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 04:53 PM

218 posts, read 338,985 times
Quote:

NYC has a huge African American population, it has a huge Haitian population, huge west African population, huge Jamaican population, huge dominican population. We also can't forget Puerto Ricans who have African blood in them making them mixed raced of African descent. That brings up another point. I know biracial is different than black but NYC has a huge amount of mixed race people who share African blood too.

NYC beats miami for me because Miami is mainly just Haitians and Jamaicans, it lacks dominicans, puerto ricans, and west Africans. I'm not so sure if miami has a large afro cuban population. Would be interesting to me if someone from miami could comment on this subject matter.
Miami does have large numbers of Dominicans n Puerto Ricans. Mostly in wynwood n apallattah.
Wynwood is a diverse neighborhood where Ricans are a plurality. And Apallattah is a mostly Dominican & Jamaican neighborhood.
Though , youll prolly find more Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in many of Miami's northern suburbs, like North Miami, Hollywood, and West Palm Beach, with African Americans and West Indians.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:22 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,464,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Now you're just making assumptions with no real basis in reality. Houston remains one of the most diverse and international cities in the nation. People there are very aware of blackness that exists outside of their own nation. The same goes for Atlanta.

What people intellectually think and how the average person behaves isn't the same. Your well travelled person from those cities might be aware that diversity exists among different populations of blacks. They might even be accepting of the rights of diverse black populations to continue to maintain their diverse identities, after migrating to the USA.

The jury is out as to whether this is true of the population at large.

I do have a brother who lives in TX. It is a whole different dynamic than in NY. In fact NY is so diverse that there are AAs, with no Caribbean heritage, who subconsciously adapt certain Caribbean mannerism, without even being aware of it. This because they operate within dense Caribbean networks, so take the differences for granted.

In many of those cities black immigrants must either fully adjust to AA norms, or elect to remain outside of it. There is more of the notion that "you are here now, so must behave as we do". Definitely from the middle aged folks, even if less so among the younger ones.

Here is the other issue. Cities like NY and Boston are dense urban clusters. Sunbelt cities, much less so. The result is that, even if an area has diversity, it doesn't mean contact between those groups. In NY we all meet on the subway, or on the side walks, like it or not.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Miami does have large numbers of Dominicans n Puerto Ricans. Mostly in wynwood n apallattah.
Wynwood is a diverse neighborhood where Ricans are a plurality. And Apallattah is a mostly Dominican & Jamaican neighborhood.
Though , youll prolly find more Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in many of Miami's northern suburbs, like North Miami, Hollywood, and West Palm Beach, with African Americans and West Indians.

The cities where there is diversity, not only in terms of blacks from diverse origins, but opportunities for cross fertilization between these diverse groups are NY first, followed by MIA (losing points as the African populations are minimal) and then Boston and DC. The letter interesting as it has all the elements of the other cities, but a very visible East African presence, less visible elsewhere.

DC used to have two clubs, Kilimanjaro and Kaieteur (both now closed). EVERY single black group used to go (and even many non blacks excited by the diversity). I don't know if these clubs have been replaced by others, or whether the gentrification has removed opportunities for this.

While ATL, LA, CHI, and HOU have large black immigrant derived populations, they remain fundamentally AA cities, in terms of their black populations.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
As a Haitian-American myself I see NYC, and Boston being the true representation of the black Caribbean diaspora. As a matter of fact I see Fort Lauderdale as having more of a true diaspora than Miami. Miami too me like you said is mostly Haitian, African American, Jamaican, and small numbers of islanders scattered in between.

This is what I mean by diversity. Assimilation goes in so many different directions. It isn't just black immigrant to AA. Its AA to black immigrant, and many permutations BETWEEN the black immigrant groups.

Reggaeton wouldn't have spread as fast as it did if the NY/SoFL scene wasn't present. We have the TWO way dynamic between Hip Hop and Dancehall, and its the Bronx scene which encouraged that.

These didn't evolve out of the interaction between highly educated and intellectually curious people. But from your less educated types, who are often the most xenophobic and "tribal."

I know that Boston is as much black immigrant oriented, and as densely urban as NY, so I assume that a similar scene exists

Old 09-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
False. When African slaves arrived in the New World, they brought their heritage with them, and many of the traits remain. We are not Africans, but part of our culture is.

He is being sarcastic. but the fact remains, for a whole host of reasons that AAs developed the most "New World" of cultures, where African retentions are among the least obvious among the various major groups of blacks, though they do exist.

This is why the oft reported tensions between AAs and Africans occurs, because neither understands the other. And there isn't enough cultural overlap to allow a pathway for relationships to develop, as there exists between Caribbean people (including Dominicans) and Africans. At least we have fried plantain, and a drum based polyrhythmic music OBVIOUSLY in common, if nothing else.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:14 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,373,954 times
Quote:

i agree
as far as black diversity in the US its NYC, then a toss up between DC and Boston.
Although i think Atlanta will catch up in the next couple decades

Old 12-27-2015, 08:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,693,225 times
Foreign born black population, ACS 5-year estimate:

New York MSA 972,820 28.5%
NYC 677,708 32.8%
Miami MSA 419,531 34.1%
Washington MSA 218,050 14.6%
Atlanta MSA 143,710 8%
Boston MSA 125,145 35%
Philadelphia MSA 89,723 7.1%
Houston MSA 74,092 6.9%
Orlando MSA 72,571 20.1%
Minneapolis-St. Paul MSA 70,953 27.8%
Los Angeles MSA 62,820 7.1%
Chicago MSA 53,955 3.3%

Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
I knew Boston had a diverse Black population but I didn't think it would top the list for foreign-born. I know Minneapolis has a large Somali population so I'm pretty sure that's what accounts for its large percentage.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 AM

92,036 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I knew Boston had a diverse Black population but I didn't think it would top the list for foreign-born. I know Minneapolis has a large Somali population so I'm pretty sure that's what accounts for its large percentage.
Boston has a strong Caribbean flavor to its Black population and it also gets quite a few people from various parts of Africa. So, it rivals any metro in regards to having a diverse Black community.

Minneapolis also gets other African refugees/immigrants as well.

Providence and Hartford are probably sleepers in terms of having a diverse Black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.