Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State Are You From?
Alabama 1 1.33%
Alaska 0 0%
Arizona 0 0%
Arkansas 0 0%
California 8 10.67%
Colorado 1 1.33%
Connecticut 2 2.67%
Delaware 0 0%
Florida 1 1.33%
Georgia 4 5.33%
Hawaii 0 0%
Idaho 1 1.33%
Illinois 2 2.67%
Indiana 2 2.67%
Iowa 2 2.67%
Kansas 0 0%
Kentucky 0 0%
Louisiana 3 4.00%
Maine 0 0%
Maryland 5 6.67%
Massachusetts 1 1.33%
Michigan 4 5.33%
Minnesota 4 5.33%
Mississippi 0 0%
Missouri 0 0%
Montana 0 0%
Nebraska 0 0%
Nevada 0 0%
New Hampshire 0 0%
New Jersey 4 5.33%
New Mexico 1 1.33%
New York 3 4.00%
North Carolina 1 1.33%
North Dakota 0 0%
Ohio 5 6.67%
Oklahoma 1 1.33%
Oregon 2 2.67%
Pennsylvania 4 5.33%
Rhode Island 0 0%
South Carolina 1 1.33%
South Dakota 0 0%
Tennessee 2 2.67%
Texas 3 4.00%
Utah 0 0%
Vermont 1 1.33%
Virginia 3 4.00%
Washington 2 2.67%
West Virginia 0 0%
Wisconsin 0 0%
Wyoming 1 1.33%
Washington DC (Federal District) 0 0%
US Territory (Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.) 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times

Advertisements

What State Are You From?

If you would like to comment then lets have a discussion.

In the comments mention:

1. The state your from (put it in the poll)

2. What do you think your state is most known for?

3. What's something that you have in your state that other states don't have?

4. Do you enjoy living in your state? Pro's and Con's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
1. Connecticut

2. American Insurance, Yale, UCONN, Wealth, Constitution State, Submarines, Inventions, Large Corporate Presence such as LEGO, Aetna, Cigna, The Hartford, Subway, Pratt and Whitney, UTC, and many more.

3. The Worlds Only 2 Sided Building (Phoenix Mutual Building in Hartford)

4. I enjoy living here but its expensive.
Pro's - High Quality of Life, Great Schools, Mix of Rural and Urban communities, Heart of the Northeastern Market.
Con's - Traffic, High Cost of Living

Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
1. Texas

2. It's big, it's hot, we all ride horses to town and have guns.

3. Big cities, mountains, beaches, and desolate countrysides all in one state.

4. I think its huge population is a pro and a con. There's a lot of cities with a lot to do, but there's also too many people. It is too congested here and the infrastructure has yet to catch up.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Connecticut

Pros
1. Above average school systems
2. Super easy access to Boston, NYC
3. Arguably the best pizza in the USA
4. Higher wages (by far) and more Union presence.
5. It's not the south
6. Snow (it's pretty)

Cons
1. Higher cost of living
2. Road condition not the greatest
3. Typically long winters
4. Snow (gotta shovel that stuff!)

Old 03-20-2015, 04:49 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
From Maryland, born and raised here in PG County for nearly 23 years.

Best known for crabs and crab cakes, Edgar Allen Poe, Baltimore, quintessential border state, education system, University of Maryland, Old Bay, being near DC, the Chesapeake Bay, Bethesda Medical Center, and the U.S. Naval Academy.

Pros:

-Geographically small state that packs in a sheer amount of urban, suburban, rural, and natural variety as well as a population close to 6 million and being one of the densest states in the country.
-Racial/Ethnic/Cultural/Religious/Regional/Linguistic Diversity.
-Seafood. Seafood. Seafood.
-Baltimore on one side, DC on the other.
-Four Seasons (Though I'm not much a winter fan).
-The maritime culture that's in the state's blood.
-Politically progressive.
-The Eastern Shore.
-Highly affluent overall.
-Arguably the best education system in the country.
-Plethora of waterfront communities in southern PG, Southern MD, the Eastern Shore, Anne Arundel County, southeastern Baltimore County, and Baltimore City.
-Marriott.
-UMD.
-Two major NFL teams.
-BWI Airport.
-Fairly good public transit coverage (MTA, WMATA, MARC, Amtrak, and municipal/county transit).
-Diverse economy.
-High amount of Black mobility (most of PG Co, Montgomery Co, Howard Co, Baltimore Co, Anne Arundel Co, Charles Co, and St. Mary's Co).
-Some of the best beaches on the East Coast.
-Homey yet bustling Farmer's, Amish, Flea, and Seafood markets.
-Bethesda Softworks
-Great wages (The state minimum wage is set to increase over the next few years).
-Strong union presence.
-The Northeast, South, and even the Midwest to a lesser extent are practically on our doorstep.
-At the heart of the Eastern Seaboard, can get to a number of places from here via car, bus, train, or plane less than 60 minutes and more than 6 hours.

Cons:

-High taxes (some of them kinda ridiculous).
-One-Party syndrome (And I say this as a liberal Democrat).
-If you like winter, we generally receive freezing rain more often than 2 inch snowfall (though it does happen).
-High cost of living.
-495/95 traffic can be the absolute worst...And a lot of major arterials here in southern PG can be backed up too, even well into Waldorf in Charles County.
-Somewhat lax judicial system.
-Not the most business-friendly state (Particularly with the current high corporate tax rate).

Old 03-20-2015, 08:41 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
From Maryland, born and raised here in PG County for nearly 23 years.

Best known for crabs and crab cakes, Edgar Allen Poe, Baltimore, quintessential border state, education system, University of Maryland, Old Bay, being near DC, the Chesapeake Bay, Bethesda Medical Center, and the U.S. Naval Academy.

Pros:

-Geographically small state that packs in a sheer amount of urban, suburban, rural, and natural variety as well as a population close to 6 million and being one of the densest states in the country.
-Racial/Ethnic/Cultural/Religious/Regional/Linguistic Diversity.
-Seafood. Seafood. Seafood.
-Baltimore on one side, DC on the other.
-Four Seasons (Though I'm not much a winter fan).
-The maritime culture that's in the state's blood.
-Politically progressive.
-The Eastern Shore.
-Highly affluent overall.
-Arguably the best education system in the country.
-Plethora of waterfront communities in southern PG, Southern MD, the Eastern Shore, Anne Arundel County, southeastern Baltimore County, and Baltimore City.
-Marriott.
-UMD.
-Two major NFL teams.
-BWI Airport.
-Fairly good public transit coverage (MTA, WMATA, MARC, Amtrak, and municipal/county transit).
-Diverse economy.
-High amount of Black mobility (most of PG Co, Montgomery Co, Howard Co, Baltimore Co, Anne Arundel Co, Charles Co, and St. Mary's Co).
-Some of the best beaches on the East Coast.
-Homey yet bustling Farmer's, Amish, Flea, and Seafood markets.
-Bethesda Softworks
-Great wages (The state minimum wage is set to increase over the next few years).
-Strong union presence.
-The Northeast, South, and even the Midwest to a lesser extent are practically on our doorstep.
-At the heart of the Eastern Seaboard, can get to a number of places from here via car, bus, train, or plane less than 60 minutes and more than 6 hours.

Cons:

-High taxes (some of them kinda ridiculous).
-One-Party syndrome (And I say this as a liberal Democrat).
-If you like winter, we generally receive freezing rain more often than 2 inch snowfall (though it does happen).
-High cost of living.
-495/95 traffic can be the absolute worst...And a lot of major arterials here in southern PG can be backed up too, even well into Waldorf in Charles County.
-Somewhat lax judicial system.
-Not the most business-friendly state (Particularly with the current high corporate tax rate).

Also form Maryland, born and raised in Anne Arundel County. I really don't have anything to add as you summed it up quite nicely. However, I no longer reside in Md.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
1. The state you're from- Massachusetts, originally.

2. What do you think your state is most known for? Boston sports and history.

3. What's something that you have in your state that other states don't have? Halloween in Salem.

4. Do you enjoy living in your state? Pro's and Con's? - I don't live there any more. I might return someday in the distant future, but not anytime soon. Pros/Cons, well I enjoy Massachusetts when it's not winter or early spring (I despise that weather) and when I'm away from the daily grind of the ratrace in the Boston area. I miss the North Shore and Cape Cod in the summer, I miss the food, I miss my family and friends, but I have too much wander lust and interest in other parts of the country, so its not a place I've been able to put my feet down and remain firmly planted.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-20-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
1. The state your from?
Born in Texas, but Neomexicano (ethnic New Mexican), and was raised here so I put New Mexico.

2. most known for?
Green chile, Red chile, chile-chile, hot-air balloons, deserts and forests, jaguars, movies, fictional blue meth.

3. What does your state have that other states don't?
Did I mention the chile? Also a commercial spaceport, the oldest capital city in America, the most streambeds without any water in them, Walter White and Smokey Bear.

4. Do you enjoy living in your state? Pro's and Con's?

Yes, I really do enjoy living here,

PROS:
Only here could I look east and see a tall forested sky island and west to see the eastern edge of the Colorado plateau.
The International Balloon Fiesta, when over 600 balloons fill the skies of Albuquerque every October.
Once in a lifetime sunsets...every evening.
A sheet load of National Park land.
Excellent winter sports scene.
Did I mention the chile? It goes on everything, EVERYTHING, from pizza, to fries, to ice cream.
Super-cheap cost of living.

CONS:
The school system is second-to-last to NONE.
The governer is an incompetent gorda.
A single waterpark (Wet 'n' Wild in Anthony).
The horrid road system.
The fact that lawmakers are, as we type, trying to keep time on DST all year round.
It gets pretty cold in winter in New Mexico.

Last edited by kehkou; 03-20-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Also form Maryland, born and raised in Anne Arundel County. I really don't have anything to add as you summed it up quite nicely. However, I no longer reside in Md.
Yes, tcave360 summed up the pros and cons of Maryland rather nicely.

For the pros, I would add mountains and skiing in the western panhandle and ocean beaches on the eastern shore, including jet skiing, para-sailing and many other water sports in Ocean City. Also, easy access to Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:35 AM

42 posts, read 37,196 times
1. New York - Long Island specifically
2. Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, 9/11, Yuppies, Think of the movie "Wall Street". I imagine that's most peoples impression on NY.
Long Island? Hamptons, Big-Haired gum popping Jewish / Italian girls, Beaches. Lately? Snow...
3. A never ending stream of diverse beautiful women from countries you've never even heard of.
A never ending stream of diverse delicious food from countries you've never even heard of.
You can literally eat three square meals a day, for under $20.00, never having to enter a building. It's all on the street.
4. I actually hate NYC & Long Island because they are going to force me to leave in a few years due to the political climate & the excessive expense of everything here. There is nothing I love more than going upstate & to the Adirondack region to enjoy the lakes, the woods, the unspoiled nature of it in summers, to ski, snowmobile, & hunt in the winter months.
I would stay if I thought it was feasible, but I feel that the politics will never change due to the high influx of undocumented people from all over the globe. These people overwhelm us with sheer numbers. I will specify people's national origin & religion only to give a face to whom I am referring.
On Long Island, the number of Hispanic illegals is enormous. Majority of them work, although majority are off the books. They swell the school system, the hospitals are their primary care physicians, they create a demand for illegal multi-family rentals, & all of this expense has to be born by the homeowners / businesses. Everyone involved from the illegals themselves to the businesses that hire them to the homeowners that rent to them, all get a free ride. Everyone else gets a $10,000+ property tax bill for their troubles.
In NY State the Russians & Hasidics are swelling the welfare rolls by the millions. They own giant swathes of land in Northern NY owned ostensibly by the particular Hasidic Sect or Russian church. They pay no taxes & develop the land into giant communes where everyone is on every form of assistance there is from welfare to WIC to SNAP etc. The ones that don't live in the communes live in their chosen boroughs. Walk through Brighton Beach at 1:00 on a Wednesday & there are tons of people hanging out in cafes & pushing strollers. Same goes for Borough Park minus the cafes. Most are getting all of the government subsidies as well.
This current Governor's answer to all of these issues is to give start-up businesses a 10 year tax abatement for coming to NY. Apparently if you're already doing business in NY you're **** out of luck. After the ten years is up, you can imagine what will happen.
The states politics are too left-leaning for my taste. I consider myself pretty much in the middle so I don't know what will be right for me in the increasingly polarized future. Wherever it turns out to be, it will at least hopefully give me some room to breathe financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.