Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM

650 posts, read 867,729 times

Advertisements

Yeah, so I've been going back and forth on this.

I live in Lansing, Mi area. I'm considering a move to Gainesville FL or Tallahasssee, FL. But I don't know. I'm scared to pack up and move. Florida is much different! But ..I eventually want to move to Florida. It's different, it's warmer, and polar opposite of Michigan. But it is warmer and has no state income tax.

I have a love and hate relationship with Michigan. In the last 3 years, I've had a rough time and some bad things happen to me. But I guess the reason keeping me from moving to Florida right now is the cost of driving down to Florida, I've lived here all my life, scared I'll fail, and last but not least : a guy (haha like alot of people).

I've never lived in another state but I feel like I need a fresh start, start all over.

Plus there are NO jobs in Michigan. It's terrible, I have a fear of starving to death here.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
what kind of job would you be looking for?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
what kind of job would you be looking for?
Bartending

Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
If you can swing it, I would recommend a long-term visit to both of the Florida cities you've mentioned. Try and stay there for some duration of time, so you can get a feel for what it might be like to live there. As I'm sure you know, Gainesville and Tallahassee are both college towns, so I would assume that one could land a bartender job without too much difficulty.

Instead of plunging straight in, dip your toe in the pool first. Try it and see if you like it before you pick up stakes and move.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:49 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
go for it then. You should conceivably be able to find work in both places. College towns, strong party scene. Make sure you save up enough to survive for awhile and have some kind of exit strategy if things don't go smoothly. But i don't think you'll have trouble fitting in or making friends.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I'm not sure why Gainesville or Tallahassee are going to have much different job prospects for bartenders than Lansing. All three are similarly sized college town areas.

If you want to move to Florida because it seems exciting mentally - well, I'd probably have money on you being back in Michigan within a year. I've seen this script before. That being said, even if you were in Florida for a short time, it might give you a new perspective and life experiences that will be valuable for your life.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
I would go for it, as long as you have a decent savings and can financialy afford it. I live in Ohio and hoping to move within a year or so. If you plan to rent, you can always change your mind if you do not like it there. We are also moving to Florida, south FL though. Yes the warm weather is a huge plus! Dont let a guy hold you back, unless your positive he is the one, you dont want to regret not moving after things with him fall apart. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:53 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Atlanta, GA bartending jobs for days! I can understand your fear and trepidation. You'll never know if you don't give it a shot. Worst case you could come on back.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I'm not sure why Gainesville or Tallahassee are going to have much different job prospects for bartenders than Lansing. All three are similarly sized college town areas.

If you want to move to Florida because it seems exciting mentally - well, I'd probably have money on you being back in Michigan within a year. I've seen this script before. That being said, even if you were in Florida for a short time, it might give you a new perspective and life experiences that will be valuable for your life.

I hate Michigan. It's too cold.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I would go for it, as long as you have a decent savings and can financialy afford it. I live in Ohio and hoping to move within a year or so. If you plan to rent, you can always change your mind if you do not like it there. We are also moving to Florida, south FL though. Yes the warm weather is a huge plus! Dont let a guy hold you back, unless your positive he is the one, you dont want to regret not moving after things with him fall apart. Good luck!
Your right. And yeah the guy, don't think it's you going to last honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.