Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 PM

707 posts, read 749,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Haha....Whoever said that Utah is flat. Thats a good one.
Lol you would be surprised. Don't overestimate the general public. Some people think Albuquerque, for example, is a low lying desert-basin oasis (like Phoenix) when it is in fact the highest elevation major city in the country (5,500 to 6,800). Yeah, NM has the Colorado Plateau and Llano Estacado, but is still not a "flat" state either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
New Mexico a fly over state? I visited for the first time this winter and NO!! Beautiful state, especially when the mountains are blanketed with snow. I recommend everyone visit the mountains, whether you ski or not, at least once. Find a little resort town and stay for a week.
Amen! NM and the other southwest states are the very antithesis of a "flyover state". You wouldn't want to miss out on the closest thing America has to a distinct cuisine.

Last edited by kehkou; 03-27-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Delaware.

As of 29 April 2015, it will, once again, be the only state in the nation with no commercial airline service. So, quite literally, flying over it is your only option.

Did they ban driving, too?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I don't use the term "flyover country" with disdain. I use it as literal as "the places that you are likely to fly over on most commercial flights." That includes the states between the northeast and the west coast. I actually wouldn't count North Dakota as a "flyover state" even though it fits the archetypal description, because it's so far north, unless you're going to Seattle or Canada, you're unlikely to fly over it.

I find it sad that so many people use that term in an insulting way. America's heartland is a beautiful region, and to dismiss it as a wasteland devoid of life or interest, shows a lack of actual travel or education. That's where your food comes from, folks! -.-)

Now there's some states I've only been in by way of flight. Those are Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. I wouldn't call those "flyover states though" at least not in the stereotypical sense like Missouri or Iowa. Anyway, if I have the option and the time, I'd take a road trip any day!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
No one would ever visit Alabama or Mississippi, though. At least Missouri has Kansas City and St. Louis.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 PM

707 posts, read 749,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't use the term "flyover country" with disdain. I use it as literal as "the places that you are likely to fly over on most commercial flights." That includes the states between the northeast and the west coast. I actually wouldn't count North Dakota as a "flyover state" even though it fits the archetypal description, because it's so far north, unless you're going to Seattle or Canada, you're unlikely to fly over it.
Oh, Okay. I still have to say not New Mexico. Too much O/D traffic, also layovers. like I said, it is only a "flyover state" in the sense that planes are always flying low over my house, every five to ten minutes. We even had a shuttle, Endevour IIRC, stop by one time in White Sands.

Last edited by kehkou; 03-27-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 06:43 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
No one would ever visit Alabama or Mississippi, though. At least Missouri has Kansas City and St. Louis.
When it gets right down to it, there isn't a state that I wouldn't like to visit. Obviously, for a lot of us, life's too short to get to see everything we'd like to see, so I'd go to a lot of foreign countries before I went to certain states in the U.S. But if I had enough time, Alabama and Mississippi would both be on my itinerary.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When it gets right down to it, there isn't a state that I wouldn't like to visit. Obviously, for a lot of us, life's too short to get to see everything we'd like to see, so I'd go to a lot of foreign countries before I went to certain states in the U.S. But if I had enough time, Alabama and Mississippi would both be on my itinerary.
Oh, same here. I'm a history buff, been to both and I'd love to go back and check out more historic spots. However, for the majority of Americans, there's no point visiting unless it's for family. Arkansas is up there, too.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
All of the ugly east coast urban megalopolis commonly known as the Middle Atlantic region.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

I find it sad that so many people use that term in an insulting way. America's heartland is a beautiful region, and to dismiss it as a wasteland devoid of life or interest, shows a lack of actual travel or education. That's where your food comes from, folks! -.-)

Now there's some states I've only been in by way of flight. Those are Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. I wouldn't call those "flyover states though" at least not in the stereotypical sense like Missouri or Iowa. Anyway, if I have the option and the time, I'd take a road trip any day!
This is what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
All of the ugly east coast urban megalopolis commonly known as the Middle Atlantic region.
Ahh, you are so charming!

Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I don't know about Mississippi, but Gulf Shores and Orange Beach in Alabama are both popular beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.