Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

HAWAII! IT isn't even attached to North America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:11 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
I guess Virginia is another.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM

183 posts, read 249,631 times
Definately, Texas.

Maryland also seems caught between regions.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 PM

275 posts, read 455,528 times
Ohio can be considered.

Great Lakes
Midwest
Appalachia

with elements of the Northeast and some slight Southern influence along the river.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I would say there are multiple states in different regions, I think it comes down to personal definition of regions. Is Kansas Great Plains or Midwest? Or both? I say both, I see the Great Plains as a sub-region of the midwest... But perhaps some states are in a region of their own. Hawaii, Texas... not sure what else. Alaska is Pacific Northwest imo.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
I would go along with my native state of Texas being one, but I have to qualify.

Texas is Texas, I agree. It is region unto itself and large enough to be one...and any native Texan who says different will likely hear the words "Git a rope..." LOL

But if placed in a region, it is essentially Southern. The upper panhandle is more akin to the lower Midwestern plains states, and the trans-pecos is more like New Mexico and Arizona, but that is about the extent of it.

Texas -- again as a whole -- has little in common at all -- historically nor culturally -- with the interior Southwest states. Those states did not even become states until the early 20th Century; they did not influence the development of Texas at all. Texas is southwestern in the old-sense of the word. Which is "western South."

Texas has a "western" imagery -- and well it indeed should have one -- but it really means "not eastern (except for East Texas) not "western" as in a Colorado or Utah. Texas has nothing in common with them. Not in the least. Even the Texas cowboy has Deep South roots.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,613 times
Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio,Texas come to mind, I'd even consider Minnesota.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:01 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I guess Virginia is another.
Not sure about that one.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure about that one.
Well, kind of a transition zone between the South and Mid-Atlantic. I think most would agree that Northern Virginia is starting to feel more like metros further north. If not Virginia, definitely Maryland.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 PM

707 posts, read 750,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I would go along with my native state of Texas being one, but I have to qualify.

Texas is Texas, I agree. It is region unto itself and large enough to be one...and any native Texan who says different will likely hear the words "Git a rope..." LOL

But if placed in a region, it is essentially Southern. The upper panhandle is more akin to the lower Midwestern plains states, and the trans-pecos is more like New Mexico and Arizona, but that is about the extent of it.

Texas -- again as a whole -- has little in common at all -- historically nor culturally -- with the interior Southwest states. Those states did not even become states until the early 20th Century; they did not influence the development of Texas at all. Texas is southwestern in the old-sense of the word. Which is "western South."

Texas has a "western" imagery -- and well it indeed should have one -- but it really means "not eastern (except for East Texas) not "western" as in a Colorado or Utah. Texas has nothing in common with them. Not in the least. Even the Texas cowboy has Deep South roots.
Texas one and indivisible. But if I really had to bunch it with other states, I'd have to go with the Texas curriculum and put it in the southwest. Do they still teach that in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.