Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM

383 posts, read 512,704 times

Advertisements

Cleveland's defined MSA not (CSA) was bypassed by Cincinnati
and now Columbus is on track to bypass Cleveland and eventually Cincinnati if things stay the current track.
Love all three areas and I want them all to grow and prosper. Just curious if this is unique to Ohio since it has so many areas that are close in population? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Question for you; is it really a foregone conclusion among all Ohioans that Cleveland is the state's top metropolis/city?

Don't know about you but I think there would be an even number of people outside of Ohio that view Cincinnati and Columbus as highly, perhaps some view either and/or both more highly than Cleveland. No?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM

At least in my lifetime, Cleveland has always been viewed as the top dog of the state. Recently though, Cincinnati has seemed to take the top spot for jobs and Columbus seems to be barreling ahead, to bypass both of them in terms of Jobs and population. Columbus is still called cowtown and has Ohio after it's name. Soon though cowtown will be larger than Cleveland and I am curious if this has happened in other states.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
At least in my lifetime, Cleveland has always been viewed as the top dog of the state. Recently though, Cincinnati has seemed to take the top spot for jobs and Columbus seems to be barreling ahead, to bypass both of them in terms of Jobs and population. Columbus is still called cowtown and has Ohio after it's name. Soon though cowtown will be larger than Cleveland and I am curious if this has happened in other states.
Yeah California, Texas, and Florida.

In the 19th century (1800s) San Francisco was by large the premier city of California and by the 20th century (1900s) Los Angeles had supplanted it as California's premier city. In the 1800s San Antonio was by large the premier city of Texas and by the 20th century both Houston and Dallas supplanted it. In Florida, Miami wasn't even top two or three cities in the state in the 19th century and for at least half of the 20th century before supplanting the places ahead of it down the stretch in the 20th century and continuing onward into the 21st.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Question for you; is it really a foregone conclusion among all Ohioans that Cleveland is the state's top metropolis/city?

Don't know about you but I think there would be an even number of people outside of Ohio that view Cincinnati and Columbus as highly, perhaps some view either and/or both more highly than Cleveland. No?

Cool thread

I can't remember for sure, but I thought there was a point where Clevelands MSA included Akron and was close to 3 million. I know Akron is it's own MSA nowadays. I think when you add it's media market together (CSA) It's still the largest population center.

In terms of city influence at one point Cleveland had over 900k people (1950) Obviously Cleveland has been battling shrinkage for decades but back before suburbanization it was by far the largest city in the state. Columbus has sunbelt style growth and a land area almost triple the size of both Cincinnati and Cleveland. I do think Cleveland is still viewed by a lot of people as the states primary city.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Cool thread

I can't remember for sure, but I thought there was a point where Clevelands MSA included Akron and was close to 3 million. I know Akron is it's own MSA nowadays. I think when you add it's media market together (CSA) It's still the largest population center.

In terms of city influence at one point Cleveland had over 900k people (1950) Obviously Cleveland has been battling shrinkage for decades but back before suburbanization it was by far the largest city in the state. Columbus has sunbelt style growth and a land area almost triple the size of both Cincinnati and Cleveland. I do think Cleveland is still viewed by a lot of people as the states primary city.
You're right in that Cleveland's CSA is well ahead of the game as far as Ohio is concerned but I feel that is only temporary. We're moving closer to the 2023 census redefinition and by then the Cincinnati-Dayton corridor will be good for merger (now that the core county rule has been thrown out, this area is barely missing the official 15% link and will have it by 2023) unless something drastic happens and it begins declining.

The merger of Cincinnati and Dayton will put that combined CSA at 3.3 million, only a hair behind Cleveland's 3.5 million and Cincinnati is experiencing more robust growth conditions, so the gap will narrow and will pull them ahead under this case scenario over Cleveland.

On a CSA basis, Columbus is still quite a long way off. I believe Columbus CSA is something like 2.3 million people and Cleveland is at 3.5 million. Substantial gap but Columbus has the growth rates to keep chipping away at the gap and begin closing in. Maybe a few decades down the line it'll match or exceed.

For now though, in the present, Cleveland seems to be Ohio's top dog but that hold is not assuring to say the least.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah California, Texas, and Florida.

In the 19th century (1800s) San Francisco was by large the premier city of California and by the 20th century (1900s) Los Angeles had supplanted it as California's premier city. In the 1800s San Antonio was by large the premier city of Texas and by the 20th century both Houston and Dallas supplanted it. In Florida, Miami wasn't even top two or three cities in the state in the 19th century and for at least half of the 20th century before supplanting the places ahead of it down the stretch in the 20th century and continuing onward into the 21st.
Cool, thanks. Seems like Ohio is now the 21st century state to join this club.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:25 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Cleveland's defined MSA not (CSA) was bypassed by Cincinnati
and now Columbus is on track to bypass Cleveland and eventually Cincinnati if things stay the current track.
Love all three areas and I want them all to grow and prosper. Just curious if this is unique to Ohio since it has so many areas that are close in population? Thanks
In addition to the other states mentioned, you're starting to see this in Missouri. St. Louis was traditionally the larger and more important city over Kansas City, but KC proper is now bigger than STL proper, although STL still has the larger MSA and CSA. KC is growing faster though.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
In NC, The Triangle and its (now) two separate components: Raleigh & Durham MSAs had played third fiddle in the state to the Triad and its (now) two separate components: Greensboro & Winston-Salem MSAs. It's only in the last few decades that the Triangle and its components have surged past the Triad. While it would take some analysis to compare the two former MSAs and now CSAs over time because their designations changed, the shift has been quite dramatic and rather rapid.
Raleigh, in particular, has been the main driver of this change. Since 1950, Raleigh has moved from being the 5th largest city in NC to being solidly the second largest city in the state by quite a large margin. As late as 1980s, Raleigh was still the third largest city in the state. Now it leads NCs 3rd largest city (Greensboro) by more than 150,000 in municipal population alone and its core county (Wake) leads Greensboro's (Guilford) by over 486,000. To put that in context, consider that Guilford County had nearly 16,000 more residents than Wake County as recently as 1980.

Today the only way to compare apples to apples without calculating the pre-2003 MSA designations is to look at the CSAs. The Triangle was 2,075,126 as of last July while the Triad was 1,630,368. I'm guessing that the Triad was larger than the Triangle as recently as sometime in the 90s but I'm not certain.

**Actually....I just found this from the 2000 Census when the two metros were still singular MSAs. The Triad was still larger than the Triangle as of that Census.
http://www.census.gov/population/cen...c-t3/tab03.txt

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 03-27-2015 at 03:42 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
I always thought Columbus and Cincinnati were a lot smaller than they actually are and never realized how close they were in population to Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.