Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,394,243 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this from some posters but not all, it's mostly trying to convince others, are there other cities whose residents obsess over NYC, shouldn't we be happy that not all of our cities are identical? This doesn't end with San Francisco, Philly, DC, Chicago, etc. All do it. I see threads such as what is your cities Queens/Brooklyn/LI, why the obsession? I'm glad my city of Los Angeles has its own identity and not constantly trying to measure up to New York, its a great city, the best this country has to off to tourists but no need for the obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,094,566 times
lol what? LA posters are just as guilty if not more than those other cities..

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
lol what? LA posters are just as guilty if not more than those other cities..
LOL completely false, there's a reason why New Yorkers have disdain for Angelenos, residents from that city don't look up to it the way other cities residents do

Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,094,566 times
oh okay

Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I've noticed this from some posters but not all, it's mostly trying to convince others, are there other cities whose residents obsess over NYC, shouldn't we be happy that not all of our cities are identical? This doesn't end with San Francisco, Philly, DC, Chicago, etc. All do it. I see threads such as what is your cities Queens/Brooklyn/LI, why the obsession? I'm glad my city of Los Angeles has its own identity and not constantly trying to measure up to New York, its a great city, the best this country has to off to tourists but no need for the obsession.
I dont understand this. Are you asking a question?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont understand this. Are you asking a question?
When I said this wasn't directed at all bay area residents you were one of them, and mostly see this from certain unnamed transplants from Florida and Texas. My question is why is their an obsession of New York on the city vs city forum and in particular from Philadelphia and San Francisco?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,859,347 times
Quote:
If it happens as you say with residents from all cities, why the title? Could have simply just said "why are people from many different cities 'obsessed' with NY?".

And to answer your question, if you're framing the question from a city-vs-city discussion, I think it's obvious why people compare cities to NY...NY is the premier city in the country (possibly the world...). The top dog is always going to get compared against. Not all that complicated, really.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,667 times
Because New York is America's premiere city. It's the London, Tokyo, or Paris of the United States so of course most regions will look to it as a model of success. The 'what's your city's Brooklyn/Queens/etc.' topics are just spin offs and side-effects of this.

That being said, a lot of New Yorkers could stand to gain a little humility. Just because a resident lives in a great city doesn't make said resident great in of themself.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 AM

385 posts, read 396,024 times
From the posts i have seen...Philly people never try to obsess over New York. Philly is it's own and worries only about Philly. If anything people will talk about how similar and connected they are with their influences on their respective regions, cultures, infrastructure , transit, etc. The other cities i really cant speak but i will say ppl on here really try to throw San Francisco as if its right under NY. There seems to always be a war between San Fran , Philly, DC for some reason lol

Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Ah, not exactly. Philadelphia is the closest major city to NYC and we don't obsess about it remarkably enough. Philly has its very own distinct identity and always has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.