Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 PM

161 posts, read 562,652 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of "Suggest A Place For Me/Us To Move" threads on here.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has actually made a move to a place based on a suggestion you got on the City-Data forum that you probably would have not discovered on your own?

And if so, are you happy with your choice? Does the city fit what you were hoping for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
What a great question!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What a great question!
It is a great question. Hopefully we'll get some answers!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
I just wonder if anywhere could possibly live up to the hype given to it by its representatives on C-D.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
I would never up and move to a place just based on what others had told me about it. We have been visiting some of these places I've researched on this site like Austin, Raleigh, and so forth. None of them were anything at all like what people had described. If we do move to one of those places we're first going to find jobs before we move there ( easier said than done) and then rent for at least a year before we start thinking of buying.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I would never up and move to a place just based on what others had told me about it. We have been visiting some of these places I've researched on this site like Austin, Raleigh, and so forth. None of them were anything at all like what people had described. If we do move to one of those places we're first going to find jobs before we move there ( easier said than done) and then rent for at least a year before we start thinking of buying.
How have people described Austin and Raleigh to you?

We haven't moved yet, but I am taking suggestions about small cities in PA, and so far, they seem to be good. We'll go exploring in July to the areas people recommended. All we have to do is get our house sold.
This is a great thread though.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
There's a poster on here named Alanboy who moved from Northern Virginia to Fort Knox/ Louisville Kentucky because of some the helpful posters from L'ville, I get the impression he really likes it.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
Quote:
How have people described Austin and Raleigh to you?
Its hard to tell. I think there is some bitterness from some people that so many people are moving to these places. So that's part of it. Secondly, it sounds like the job market for those cities aren't as fantastic as one would imagine. I tried to get a job in either a year ago when I was unemployed and hardly got a response. Thus why my rule is to get a job FIRST before moving to any new area because doing so could mean being without a job for a long time. I've read stories on this site from people who moved without jobs and wound up having to move back from where they came from because they didn't find anything.

Basically all the research in the world isn't going to mean anything until one actually visits and lives there. We fully expect that wherever we move will take some getting used to and we might not actually like it. Perhaps it'll suck. Maybe it'll be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.