Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York is more similar to
New England 54 51.43%
Maryland/DC 51 48.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:38 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As someone who lives in a state bordering New York, in the indisputable Northeast, in the NYC metro as well, AND as someone who finds NJ to be very similar to MD, I have never once considered New York to be more similar to anything other than NJ/PA and New England. I think upstate and the north shore of LI are very New England-like.
Maryland should replace New Jersey. It would be a better fit next to New York. You wouldn't even notice the difference since MD and NJ are virtually identical. Badabing, badaboom! Youknowwhatimean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
And if break it down to urban/rural, I'd say the cities of NYS have more in common with the cities of New England than they do with the major cities of Maryland/DC (and even less if Virginia is added). Rural areas - more like New England than Maryland/DC as well.

One area where New York differs from New England and comes closer to Maryland/DC is German ancestry. But German ancestry isn't particularly high compared to the national average in any state in the Northeast or the South, except in Pennsylvania.
Again, it will depend on where in NY in terms of German ancestry. Here is some info by NYS county: New York German as First Ancestry Population Percentage County Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Maryland should replace New Jersey. It would be a better fit next to New York. You wouldn't even notice the difference since MD and NJ are virtually identical. Badabing, badaboom! Youknowwhatimean!
I know you're being sarcastic and I don't think it's being directed at me, but let me clarify my MD comment.

I think MD and NJ are very similar states but when NJ is compared to NY or a state like MA or CT, I think it's more similar to those. It just depends on what you're comparing it to, but sinilaities between MD and NJ are strong. That being said... New York? No way. Not compared to any NE state.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:51 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
And while that's true, it's still more similar to Boston in this respect than it is to Baltimore, which has no significant Puerto Rican, Dominican or West Indian presence whatsoever.
Baltimore is 64% Black, 4% Hispanic and 2% Asian. I don't know how anyone can seriously argue that Baltimore and NYC are demographically similar. It is far more like Boston demographically.

Plus the Black population in Baltimore is almost entirely African American, while NYC and Boston blacks are more than 1/3 foreign born.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Not this thread again!

Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
So why don't you ask the question? Most people would probably say neither. I actually thought nycjowww provided one of the most sensible (if not fully accurate) responses.

Structurally, the Northeast does look a bit more like certain areas of Queens or maybe even Canarsie, but that's even a stretch. Culturally, they are even a bit similar since they were both White ethnic holdouts that have rapidly diversified over the the decades.

I don't really care what people say about the built infrastructure since that was never my point in the first place (you turned it into that). I was responding to BigCityDreamer who made a point about Queens being largely Black/Hispanic. And while that's true, it's still more similar to Boston in this respect than it is to Baltimore, which has no significant Puerto Rican, Dominican or West Indian presence whatsoever.
Try Northwest Baltimore and its immediate suburbs of you want to see at West Indian presence. There's plenty of it.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ smh

Most people from nyc tend to move farther north, not south if they have the choice, or Florida. I can't remember too many mentioning MD/DC unless it is for their career but not because of the geography or anything.

Just like DC/MD, most of them don't talk about moving down south either. If anything, they would move farther north as well, if they have the choice as far as searching for career opportunities.
Dude get over it. You're really tripping over other people's opinion, that guy wasn't talking to you.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Try Northwest Baltimore and its immediate suburbs of you want to see at West Indian presence. There's plenty of it.
But it's an overall very small proportion of the Black population of Baltimore.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
But it's an overall very small proportion of the Black population of Baltimore.
You've seen it for yourself?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Baltimore is 64% Black, 4% Hispanic and 2% Asian. I don't know how anyone can seriously argue that Baltimore and NYC are demographically similar. It is far more like Boston demographically.

Plus the Black population in Baltimore is almost entirely African American, while NYC and Boston blacks are more than 1/3 foreign born.
I don't think anyone said that NYC and Baltimore are the same. However, you have large, highly Black concentrations within NYC and you have concentrations of highly/mostly Black suburban communities/neighborhoods in NY like central/south central Nassau County(parts of Baldwin, parts of Freeport, Roosevelt, parts of Uniondale, Hempstead, Lakeview, parts of West Hempstead, parts of Westbury and parts of New Cassel), western Nassau County(parts of Valley Stream, parts of Elmont and parts of Elwood) and central/south central Suffolk County(Wyandanch, Gordon Heights, Wheatley Heights, the Belmont Lake area of West Babylon, North Amityville, etc). You have other communities just north of NYC like Mount Vernon, Fairview(CDP), parts of Spring Valley and Hillcrest that are predominately Black, with others that are highly Black as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-30-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.