U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 767 times

Advertisements

Hi! My fiance and I are dealing with a first world problem here and I was hoping to get a little advice to help us narrow down some choices. I'd like some neighborhood suggestions based on our criteria so we can begin planning visits and looking at real estate. Or even just some pros and cons for each place. I really appreciate your help.

My soon to be husband is about to finish school and has job offers/prospects in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and D.C. He also got NYC but we've already ruled that one out. He is in school in Philadelphia right now and says that is his last choice of the four. While you cannot rule out the unforeseen we would like to assume we are going to settle in to one of these cities for good and raise a family. He is 25, I am 21 (about to graduate as well). His brother is in Boston and I have a cousin in Virginia. My family is from Los Angeles and his is from Cincinnati.

Boston, Philly and Chicago are very similar offers. DC is not as great but we are not ruling it out as he feels there is room for advancement. We've both been to all four cities before but not enough to really know the culture and feel of each, with exception of Philadelphia.

We plan to wait 4-5 years for children, we'd like to rent first before buying or buy a condo as a starter home. 6000$ monthly rent or mortgage, there is some wiggle room - max would be 10. I work for a nonprofit now and would like to find part time work in that field but this isn't hugely important, I can also teach piano. We are catholic and would like to be active in our church. We are pretty middle or the road political wise, maybe leaning a tad to the right. We are both really family oriented and look forward to that chapter in our lives.

Hmm lets see, what else, we'd prefer private or parochial schools for our future children. We are both active and kinda outdoorsy. We love sports and going to sporting events, especially hockey and baseball. We love dining out, so it might be silly and frivolous, but great restaurants would be a plus. He loves to golf and going to live events (concerts, musicals, comedy shows etc). I love to garden so having the space and weather for a small to medium garden and maybe even a greenhouse would be lovely. I've always wanted three backyard chickens but I know thats probably not feasible in the city and at this point in our lives.

As a bonus tidbit if we could choose anywhere to live we'd both pick Denver Colorado, we both love Colorado, if that helps knowing our taste at all. I hope I gave enough information to get a few ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,516,067 times
Chicago. It's a big city but has the Midwestern vibe. Lots of houses in the city with yards. Surrounded by forest preserves and has lots of parks. Suggest Lincoln Park area.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 AM

5,787 posts, read 6,342,595 times
All four cities should offer all the amenities you want, including Philly. DC has the largest non-profit sector but it's not like the others are lacking opportunities in any way.

Boston and DC might put you guys closer to some family. Chicago has many suburbs that might offer you more space while still being very convenient to the city. Western burbs like Naperville and Wheaton, or Evanston to the north.

In DC you would probably look outside the district in Bethesda, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. I also like Falls Church, nicely situated between DC and Tyson's Corner.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,919,369 times
Chicago's probably the place I'd settle. It's a kick A town!

You really can't go wrong though.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,919,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
All four cities should offer all the amenities you want, including Philly. DC has the largest non-profit sector but it's not like the others are lacking opportunities in any way.

Boston and DC might put you guys closer to some family. Chicago has many suburbs that might offer you more space while still being very convenient to the city. Western burbs like Naperville and Wheaton, or Evanston to the north.

In DC you would probably look outside the district in Bethesda, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. I also like Falls Church, nicely situated between DC and Tyson's Corner.
I wouldn't characterize Naperville or Wheaton as being convenient to the city. Traffic on I-88 is atrocious, and those suburbs are about 30 miles from downtown.

I'd say live in the city or one of the near-North suburbs, like Evanston or Skokie.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM

15,666 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisycity View Post
6000$ monthly rent or mortgage, there is some wiggle room - max would be 10.
So, let me get this straight. You are a 20-something couple that has yet to join the workforce. But you can afford a monthly rent of $6000 to $10,000?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,477,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, let me get this straight. You are a 20-something couple that has yet to join the workforce. But you can afford a monthly rent of $6000 to $10,000?
Husband is a drug dealer/pharmacist?

...I honestly don't know what kind of professions have those salaries for entry level.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:56 PM

541 posts, read 1,344,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

...I honestly don't know what kind of professions have those salaries for entry level.
Parents are probably rich and going to pay most, if not all the rent.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM

1,287 posts, read 990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
^^You took the words right out of my mouth lol.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 PM

5,787 posts, read 6,342,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I wouldn't characterize Naperville or Wheaton as being convenient to the city. Traffic on I-88 is atrocious, and those suburbs are about 30 miles from downtown.

I'd say live in the city or one of the near-North suburbs, like Evanston or Skokie.
I was thinking via Metra Commuter Rail it's "convenient." But yeah, I honestly don't know that well. I picked random suburbs of where some of my friends were from back when I lived in Chicago. I'm sure you would know better than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

I'm not gonna judge. I had a friend who graduated at 26 with an MBA/JD whose starting salary was 300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or